having a hardtime eating 1200 cals

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    6894237-open-peanut-butter-and-jelly-sandwich-on-a-counter-top-with-a-glass-of-milk-beside-the-plate.jpg
  • geneva042
    Options
    6894237-open-peanut-butter-and-jelly-sandwich-on-a-counter-top-with-a-glass-of-milk-beside-the-plate.jpg

should I applaud you for being able to link a photo or there's a message that I don't get?
  • geneva042
    Options
    In regards to your hard time eating 1200 calories, most likely it comes down to a mental thing. You've been overeating, you've gained weight, you've made up your mind you are going to do things right! Lose this weight! So your brain is being an amazing cheerleader right now, telling you "Look at what you've eaten! Go you! You are FULL and not even close to your allotment today! That's awesome!" Sadly your brain will likely get bored of being a cheerleader and start working on you saying you've been good, so go ahead and have the extra even if it puts you over your 1500-1700cal goal.

See, the brain is a junkie. Much like cheerleaders it likes happy hormones that are released by puppies, joy, accomplishment, chocolate, wine, etc. When you are feeling accomplished it gets the happy hormones it craves. When the same accomplishment gets routine, it goes looking for a fix. Failing puppies, joy, etc. chocolate and wine are a cheap hit of the good stuff as far as your brain is concerned. Which is why it is so important to teach yourself moderation. Get that small hit of the good stuff, savor it, be satisfied with it, but keep it under control.

yea, i'm all for moderation, i'm just worried if I do it -now- moderation will be...well... forgotten ;)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options

should I applaud you for being able to link a photo or there's a message that I don't get?

I'm sure it was a pictorial message of 'you could have a glass of milk and a piece of bread with peanut paste or jam to reach your calories' :smile:
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    How did you get fat if 1200 is too much food...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It's not hard.

You can do it!
  • paperpudding
    Options
    How did you get fat if 1200 is too much food...

This question always gets raised in these threads - has already been raised in this one and if you read back you can see OP 's explanation of this.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    when all else fails add peanut butter and/or ice cream

That's what I did, today. Gotta love that mint-chocolate-chippy goodness.

But in all truth, if you've told MFP you want to lose, it will give you a deficit. All you need to do is record your exercise and food as accurately as possible and try to get that "calories remaining" number as close to zero as you can.

If, as seems to be the case, you have trouble eating enough calories because you feel full, that's a good time to avoid "diet" products. Do whole milk if you can stand it, eat full-fat products, and get in some healthy calorie-dense foods like nuts. And, if all else fails, you can also drink your calories. Fruit juice can have a lot of calories and, while it's not ideal, a soda will usually get you somewhere around 200 calories.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    These have to be troll posts.

Help, i'm overweight, but I can't figure out how to eat enough for 1200 calories!

Yea me!

Or... wut?

OP, if you're not trolling, eat a legitimate daily intake, and quit screwing around.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Wow. It's a pretty obvious message/suggestion.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    OP: you need to stop thinking about various foods as "good" or "bad".

If you are well under you calorie goal, then ANY food is good as it provides energy. Some provide more micronutrients than others but if you have a variety of foods (sometimes difficult on very low cal diets) then micronutrient needs should be met.

So yeah, eat the ice cream basically.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I had a 4200 calorie meal today and usually do every single day.

I don't get it.
  • NicoleLawrence98
    NicoleLawrence98 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    my mfp says to loose a pound a week my daily intake of calories should be 1200 everyday, im 5'1 and weigh 55.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    These have to be troll posts.

Help, i'm overweight, but I can't figure out how to eat enough for 1200 calories!

Yea me!

Or... wut?

OP, if you're not trolling, eat a legitimate daily intake, and quit screwing around.

Although a frequent theme, i don't think they are troll posts.

I think what happens is person gets overweight eating mainly high calorie high fat, high sugar foods, and drinking lots of coke etc (junk food, if you like) and / or doing a lot of mindless eating, comfort eating, boredom snacking etc - then they decide to lose weight, turn a new leaf, get rid of all 'junk food', eat clean, drink only water, take it all very seriously, get motivated and zealous.

On this new type of food/drink they find they can easily feel full on much less calories; after all, volumes of green veggies and lean meat and wholemeal bread is much more filling than a litre of coke and 2 cream buns, but far less calories - hence the problem of not being able to reach the calorie target on their new food style.

Of course, there are nutritious ways to add quick calories, such as nuts,avocado, peanut paste, and of course it is also ok to have a treat or two and add calories that way.

I know this and you know this - but the new convert to weight loss and nutritious eating sometimes does not and so they ask the question on the forum.
    A genuine question, not a trolling attempt.
  • paperpudding
    Options

I don't get it.

What don't you get?

You are an 18 year old male, presumably taller than 5 feet and presumably more active than many middle aged women.

How is it hard to understand that other people's calorie target is different to yours?
  • cookieanzac
    Options
    I should blame my metabolism.If I were to eat anything over 1200 calories,I end up gaining.My average diet comes to around 900 calories and I have lost weight quite healthy.The famine mode just doesn't seem to work for me! :-)
  • ReneeDollarhide
    Options
    Yeah, I have to agree that it's disheartening there are so many shamers and a-holes out there....Look, you may have been on here for a minute or two, may be a little jaded, but c'mon! Didn't ya mama teach ya' any manners? If you have nothing nice or helpful to say...do us all a favor...keep your mouth shut! No! Really! Just zip it!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I don't get it.

Good for you! Some of us however...are not male...not 18...not YOU.

One day you won't be 18 either...then you might have to rethink that 4200k meal.

Your response shows a HUGE misunderstanding of of how all of this works.

I think that 4200k for one meal is excessive...but I am not male...not 18...not YOU.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    my mfp says to loose a pound a week my daily intake of calories should be 1200 everyday, im 5'1 and weigh 55.

But with only 6 lbs to lose your goal should be to aim for losing no more than 0.5lbs/week
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I should blame my metabolism.If I were to eat anything over 1200 calories,I end up gaining.My average diet comes to around 900 calories and I have lost weight quite healthy.The famine mode just doesn't seem to work for me! :-)

either you are 4'5" and 90 lbs or less, or you are actually eating more than you think you are if you think you gain on 1200+. I suggest weighing all your solid foods and measure liquids, you may be eating 10-50% more than you think you are.