Domino's Pizza Can Be Healthy? Is it a Trick?!

Options
Hi guys!

I was thinking of ordering a pizza tonight, so looked on the official Domino's website at the calorie information. According to my research, a small thin crust pizza with light cheese, onions, olives, tomatoes, mushrooms, and green peppers is only 360 calories for 1/2 of the pizza.

This seems too good to be true to me. Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of my calculations? Did I do that correctly?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Looks about right to me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" is subjective... But yes, you can absolutely have pizza while you're losing weight - I sure have. I've found the thin crust just doesn't stick with me very well so I go with a medium regular crust (hand tossed?) with veg only toppings. It's just under 200 cal per slice. More cals than a normal dinner if I have more than 3 slices but I make it work.

Wish I could help double check your math but stupid work computer won't load their site right...
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    That actually does sound about right. Dominos thin crust is quite thin, and the bread, cheese and meat are the largest contributors of calories in a pizza so if you have less bread, less cheese and no meat the calorie count will go down.

I get thin crust veggie Kashi pizzas that are similar on the toppings to what you describe and those come out to around 450 calories for half of it and are a little bigger around than a small from Dominos.

If it fits into your calories and you've fulfilled your macros otherwise (i.e. gotten enough protein throughout the day to skimp on it this evening), it works.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Yep - I ate half a medium last weds and logged the calories provided by the site. Amazing the difference between the thin crust and the hand tossed.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

I was thinking of ordering a pizza tonight, so looked on the official Domino's website at the calorie information. According to my research, a small thin crust pizza with light cheese, onions, olives, tomatoes, mushrooms, and green peppers is only 360 calories for 1/2 of the pizza.

This seems too good to be true to me. Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of my calculations? Did I do that correctly?
    The major sources of calories in pizza come from the crust, the cheese, and the meat based toppings. With thin crust, light cheese, and zero meat topping you have effectively minimized or eliminated all the parts of the pizza that are heavy on calories.

Low calorie does not equal healthy and high calorie does not equal unhealthy. You shouldn't look at individual foods as "healthy" or "unhealthy". You should rather look at a total diet as a whole. Can pizza be part of an overall "healthy" diet? Absolutely.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    so healthy just means low calorie?

why not just eat water and ice and be super healthy?
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Mmm Pepperoni Passion Normal crust...
    post-8959-0-00613800-1400686194.jpg
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    One FYI: Not all stores carry small in thin crust. Usually medium & large.

But yes, pizza can fit into a reasonable calorie range. I eat Dominos at least 1-2x a week as I work there part time. Its all about the choices you make - and I personally tend to top my own so I can make sure they correct quantities go on.

I like the spinach & feta artisan - though I do double spinach, no onions, and light on the alfredo sauce.
  • myposian
    Options
    "so healthy just means low calorie?

why not just eat water and ice and be super healthy?"

That wouldn't be "super" healthy because ice is just frozen water, so all you would be eating is water. Silly goose!
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Pizza for president
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    I've red multiple articles about how inaccurate and completely off their numbers are so I just stopped trusting them. Maybe do couple of slices instead of half? 1/2 pizza is a lot of food...
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    The small is 10" diameter. 2 slices IS half a pizza depending on how its cut.

Values for the dough are firm - toppings will vary. A small cheese only is supposed to get 5 oz mozzarella. If its really 6 you wouldn't know but even then its a small difference in total calories.

One detail that bugs me: Dominos charges for toppings (compared to a cheese only pizza) but you get less cheese on a pizza w/ toppings than you do on a cheese only. IMO the price for a 1 topping pizza should equal a cheese only.
    I've red multiple articles about how inaccurate and completely off their numbers are so I just stopped trusting them. Maybe do couple of slices instead of half? 1/2 pizza is a lot of food...
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Pizza for president
    This
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

This was my thought as well.
    Can dominos be part of an overall healthy diet? (sounds like those old breakfast cereal commercials "lucky charms is part of this nutritious breakfast")
    Sure.
    IS Dominos healthy?
    Not by my definition.
    But we each need to decide that for ourselves.

ps: I had pizza for dinner last night (but not dominos).
  • Itslozzamate
    Options

This was my thought as well.
    Can dominos be part of an overall healthy diet? (sounds like those old breakfast cereal commercials "lucky charms is part of this nutritious breakfast")
    Sure.
    IS Dominos healthy?
    Not by my definition.
    But we each need to decide that for ourselves.

ps: I had pizza for dinner last night (but not dominos).

I'm not sure if I would trust their webiste and agree with ^^^ about whether "Is dominos healthy?"
    I tend to make my own pizza if I'm craving it, that way I know exactly how much of everything is on it :)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Reported nutritional information of Domino's is probably no more or less accurate then reported nutritional information from any other source. The FDA already lets any company round their numbers and allows for a 20% margin of error. I don't trust them any more or less then I trust any company selling food.
  • gelar93
    Options
    Reported nutritional information of Domino's is probably no more or less accurate then reported nutritional information from any other source. The FDA already lets any company round their numbers and allows for a 20% margin of error. I don't trust them any more or less then I trust any company selling food.

Just to clarify I wasn't only referring to Domino's. The article said they had taken food from multiple places(I know Chipotle was one of them, don't remember the rest) and then calculated the calorie count in a lab and they were all at least 50% off...
  • gelar93
    Options
    The small is 10" diameter. 2 slices IS half a pizza depending on how its cut.

Values for the dough are firm - toppings will vary. A small cheese only is supposed to get 5 oz mozzarella. If its really 6 you wouldn't know but even then its a small difference in total calories.

One detail that bugs me: Dominos charges for toppings (compared to a cheese only pizza) but you get less cheese on a pizza w/ toppings than you do on a cheese only. IMO the price for a 1 topping pizza should equal a cheese only.

Domino's cut their pizzas in 8 pieces regardless :)
    And I know how big the small crust is, still half a pizza sounds like a lot for dinner for one person
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Not smalls. Either 4 or 6 depending on the crust type.
    And I know how big the small crust is, still half a pizza sounds like a lot for dinner for one person