Physically cannot do anymore

Options
13»

Replies

• pj27559
    pj27559 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    resistance bands are an alternative to weights, they are cheap and take up next to no space

You will find a a lot of free resustance band workouts on you tube
  • flowrgal23
    flowrgal23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Detergent bottles are a great way to start! Also check out rummage sales and thrift shops; I was able to get 200 pounds of free weights in various increments for less than $25.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I can't think why people are insisting you need to lift weights when you don't have access to them right now and you have already said you have found and like the You Are Your Own Gym apps.

I would do the YAYOG sessions as it says - four times a week and rest between the sessions. you may feel like you are not doing enough but you will be as a new starter to exercise. If you have no other physical activities to factor in, you could just do one YAYOG session and one day rest on and off and not worry about doing 4 sessions a week.

Like this:

Week 1: Mo, We, Fr, Sn
    Week 2: Tu, Th, Sa
    Week 3 - the same as Week 1, and so on ...

that way you get 3 days rest in Week 1 and 4 rest days in Week 2 - and you'll see greater progress through resting more between your workouts and have more energy to throw into your sessions when you do them.
  • moxxmh
    moxxmh Posts: 13
    Options
    I can't think why people are insisting you need to lift weights when you don't have access to them right now and you have already said you have found and like the You Are Your Own Gym apps.

I would do the YAYOG sessions as it says - four times a week and rest between the sessions. you may feel like you are not doing enough but you will be as a new starter to exercise. If you have no other physical activities to factor in, you could just do one YAYOG session and one day rest on and off and not worry about doing 4 sessions a week.

Like this:

Week 1: Mo, We, Fr, Sn
    Week 2: Tu, Th, Sa
    Week 3 - the same as Week 1, and so on ...

that way you get 3 days rest in Week 1 and 4 rest days in Week 2 - and you'll see greater progress through resting more between your workouts and have more energy to throw into your sessions when you do them.
    I like this idea a lot, although I can't see myself resting for 4 days...but I'll see how it goes. This seems accessible to me which is one of the big factors in my exercise regime. Thank you!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I noticed the day selected as "typical" just happens to be the one with the most calories logged since July 1st. I guess we're just supposed to ignore the 520 and 730 calorie days.

Log what you eat ... implement an exercise program that includes rest ... quit overdoing it. The other option is continued fatigue and overtraining resulting in eventual medical issues. Your choice.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I like this idea a lot, although I can't see myself resting for 4 days...but I'll see how it goes. This seems accessible to me which is one of the big factors in my exercise regime. Thank you!!

here's the thing.

Either the long term goal is more improtant- or your need to be active 6 days a week is.

I don't like lifting only 3 days a week- but my long term goals currently are supported by a program that runs a 3 day lift cycle... which means I only lift every 3 days- because my long term goal is significantly more important to me than "getting my lift in"

so figure out what your goal is- then find a way to get there that supports the goal.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm under by like 100 -150 calories. Which I don't think is that bad?

I don't have weights and I don't have access to the gym. Besides I can't see what heavy lifting would do? I have a good shape, just wobbly thighs, butt and a bit of a pooch stomach. So I thought some basic cardio like walking or running plus crunches, squats etc...would help. I've seen a little bit of a difference in photos

Cardio doesn't do anything to tighten up the flabby areas. You just end up being smaller and flabby.
    Heavy lifting.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting or bodyweight exercises that are intense enough to promote strength gains. You don't need weights to do this.
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options

I don't have weights and I don't have access to the gym. Besides I can't see what heavy lifting would do? I have a good shape, just wobbly thighs, butt and a bit of a pooch stomach. So I thought some basic cardio like walking or running plus crunches, squats etc...would help. I've seen a little bit of a difference in photos

Cardio doesn't do anything to tighten up the flabby areas. You just end up being smaller and flabby.
    Heavy lifting.

Why are you trying to lose 15lbs if you just want to tone up? You said you are skinny fat, which to me means you are within a healthy weight range with a high fat %, you could get free weights for $12 at meijer or any store also bands those are cheap as well. You said you do squats and cardio right? How much are you burning? Do you eat less then you burn? Do you have a HRM? If you are solely trying to tone heavy weights will help you in all the right ways.

It sounds like you are not eating the right amount of calories and your body is suffering how much do you actually workout? How many rest days do you take? If you feel bad taking even one rest day you really have to understand it is essentially healthy for your body to rest and recover if you are working out alot.

As someone who has completed Insanity 3 times and T25 once and is now on my fourth Insanity round rest and protein as well as calorie stuffed days are a MUST you can do it! Look up scoobys TDEE calculator that website will help you tremendously!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

I don't have weights and I don't have access to the gym. Besides I can't see what heavy lifting would do? I have a good shape, just wobbly thighs, butt and a bit of a pooch stomach. So I thought some basic cardio like walking or running plus crunches, squats etc...would help. I've seen a little bit of a difference in photos but recently it's just HURTING each time and I feel like giving up. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I should probably see a doctor, you're right.

Combined with the right diet, it will do wonders.

Listen to this woman.

You said you feel skinny fat. The cure for that is weight lifting. It really will make a serious difference.

For realz! :drinker:
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Some people need to eat before they work out. Maybe try a high protein snack or shake 30 minutes before you work out. (My bestie was having this problem and eating before her workouts totally solved it)

Just a thought
  • dmaert
    dmaert Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    First of all, are you eating a healthy diet? Second of all are you easing into the work out with a warm up first? If so, what you are feeling is quite normal. I find that I don't hit my groove until 10-15 minutes into the workout. After that it is like my body says, "okay, I can do this for a little while". Just keep trying and don't fly and die. By that I mean start your workout at a break neck pace and be exhausted in 10 minutes.

Hope this helps. :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I was skinny fat. I busted my *kitten* with HIIT and lifting while eating unnecessarily low. I got skinnier but didn't feel like I was getting lean in the right places. Decided to review what I was doing and eat to train. That's now my focus. Keeping active by doing fun stuff (tennis, dodgeball, tai chi, rock climbing) and eating appropriately. Everything is moving in the right direction. I enjoy pushing myself in my chosen sports.

As they say, athletes (who have the kind of physique I want to achieve) eat and train not starve and exercise.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton, am in reasonable shape and still feel like I'm going to die for the first 7 minutes of any steady state cardio. I call it "the hump."

But yeah eat more and lift more, too.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/moxxmh?date=2014-08-03
    If anyone can see this, this is a typical day.
    [/quote]

What are your stats (height, weight)? That looks to be a weight loss regimen, especially with all the cardio you're doing. If you're just out of shape ("skinny fat"), then a weight loss regimen is generally just going to suck dry an already dry well, thus the complete lack of energy. Try boosting your calories for a few days and see if that makes a difference in your energy levels. If it does, the recommendations for lifting (or at least a lot more body-weight exercises rather than cardio) along with keep calories up are right on. If it doesn't, a visit to the doc might be in order.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I haven't been exercising long, about two months. I workout every day, doing cardio and strength training.
    Do weights at most every other day, if you're working your entire body every time.
    If you want to lose/maintain weight (& fat), keep doing cardio.
    If you want to tone up, get stronger, build muscle, look fabulous, be slimmer, do better weightlifting. This may actually mean that you'll gain a couple pounds, but it will look much better than the wobbly thighs and pudge.
    About ten minutes in I feel like I'm actually about to die. My whole body and all my muscles ache from exercise.
    You're no longer "new to exercise".
    It sounds like your blood sugar is too low, and possibly you're dehydrated (electrolyte problems).
    Take several days off and REST now.
    Then (starting next Monday) cut back on the cardio, increase the weight training, increase your calorie intake, increase your protein intake, and log everything every day.
    Is there anything I can do to stop my body aching so much?
    Stop over-working, rest more, eat more, tylenol.
    Cardio is not going to help you get rid of the fat; you need to be lifting heavy
    Cardio is the most effective way to burn calories, so yes, it will help get rid of fat.
    Weightlifting will develop & tone muscles even though it doesn't use all that much calorie-wise, and she will look toned.
    I can't see what heavy lifting would do? I have a good shape, just wobbly thighs, butt and a bit of a pooch stomach
    Weightlifting builds muscle, which makes you look more toned.
    For the same amount of weight, muscle is smaller, so you'll look slimmer & your clothes will fit better.
    Muscle doesn't jiggle, so you'll decrease the pudge & the wobble, but that takes losing fat all over as you increase muscle.

Other fun things to do for the thighs & butt: roller skating, ice skating, swimming, dancing.
    And of course, walking.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    BTW, to maintain weight you need about 15 calories per pound.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HB_web/calorie-counting-made-easy.htm
    First, multiply your current weight by 15 - that’s roughly the number of calories per pound of body weight needed to maintain your current weight if you are moderately active. Moderately active means getting at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day.
    For a few weeks, try eating at a maintenance level instead of hoping to lose weight, while you increase your amount of protein and start weightlifting.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Go to a site like the following:

Find out your TDEE, including your activity level. Eat that amount on a daily basis.
    Be consistent with your exercise regime. I suggest bodyweight exercises, another good book for that is 'Bring It' by Tony Horton, of the P90X workouts. Hunt secondhand sites as you may well find some cheap dumbbells to start you off, and those will suffice to start with. Take a full day or two of rest or just walking.
    Fit in the odd run or bike ride in between, or something fun like rollerskating. I personally take boxing classes.
    Your body will undergo amazing changes if you stop trying to lose the weight, eat enough food and start working on bodyweight exercises/weight training. There are so many examples in the success stories here of women who remained almost the same weight but totally changed their shape.

I used to be skinnyfat.
    I ate at maintenance and hit the weights and boxing.