What makes you a geek/nerd?

Options
My love of comics and vast knowledge of all things Marvel from the 70's through 90's. My collection of horror toys. My shelves cracking beneath the weight of triple layers of books.

Replies

• mybeesknees
    Options
    I own every single movie of Hellraiser and ANOES. My shelf has the figurines of Pinhead and his cenobites and soon in the future, I'll own every Clive Barker book he has written. Is it sad that my screen saver is of the torso cenobite with the wire twins?

20p2g7a.jpg
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I still use Lego blocks
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    I watch the Big Bang Theory.
  • Chalk_Slinger
    Chalk_Slinger Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Ha. Cool. There is a GREAT exhibit in nYC called "Art of the Brick" where an artist works in the medium of Lego. Google it. I loved it.
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Ha. Cool. There is a GREAT exhibit in nYC called "Art of the Brick" where an artist works in the medium of Lego. Google it. I loved it.

Sounds cool, I will
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    my mom is my only friend
  • Chalk_Slinger
    Options
    OK, that is a little sad. (group hug)
  • Vintage_Misery
    Options
    Having to come back to reality after ending a book depresses me.
    My favorite shows are Sherlock, Doctor Who, Glee, and Big Bang Theory.
    My family calls me Miss Google because I possess knowledge about random topics... a huge "waste" of brain space.
    I type over 200 wpm (not as impressive as it was in the 90's).
    I can't bring myself to type in text talk. It has to be as close to grammatically correct as possible.
    I'm fairly positive my love for Hanson and Fall Out Boy will never end :blushing:
  • Chalk_Slinger
    Options
    I DREAD ending a series of books, always feeling separation anxiety from the characters. I feel your pain, boo!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I've read all the WoT books. I mean, who does that?

Then there are the multitudes of novels, books, tv shows and movies I watch and love.

Oh. And Comicon. I've been to Comicon several times. No I do not dress up. I just enjoy being able to wear my "I heart heart Gallifrey" t-shirt and people getting the joke.

Though honestly, I get annoyed at the panels because it's typically actors talking about the shows and movies they're on - and really? Do they have insight into the characters? They're the actors. I'd be more interested in hearing from the writers. At the same time, you don't want to hear the writers rote answers on where they get their ideas and what didn't work which leaves most discussions to future plot lines. I don't want to hear about future plot lines! That's a tease.
  • Chalk_Slinger
    Options
    Man, you ARE a nerd, complaining about panels and even KNOWING what panels are. Ha. You win!!!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have the words "DON'T PANIC" tattooed in large, friendly letters on my hand
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I work in a scientific field and I review lab reports all day.

I do modular origami.

I roast my own coffee and keep a big log book of each roast in search of the perfect one.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Can you see my user name?

I'm completely SuperWhoLocked! I also love Big Bang Theory, Merlin, Once Upon a Time, Buffy, Angel, Bones, Red Dwarf, and the list goes on. I love Star Wars, The Librarian trilogy ( you get geek points for even knowing that exists), The 10th Kingdom, all things Batman, various other super heroes (both DC and Marvel), zombie lore, historical fiction, and I have been known to do math for fun. I recently downsized my book collection to just a couple thousand, though there are thousands more as ebooks on my tablet and laptop. And I agree that while it is fun to see the actors in person, I would usually rather hear from the writers, though there are some actors who take a more active role in character and story development.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Trek, Dr. Who, D&D (I started out on the board game in the late 70s, early 80s and LARPed before there was even such a word) Sci-fi and Fantasy novels and movies of all kinds, Elfquest comics, and I have pixies sitting on the shelf over my computer.

Never been to a CON of any kind, and I am very sad about it. :^(
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't really like labels...but I happen to be the President of Club Weenie and the Pizza Club at my house. I even have badges. Club Weenie and Pizza Club...basically we just go to hot dog/pizza places and rate the foods/service/creativity on a scale according to a list we have.

It's more prestigious than it sounds but there is only 3 members in both clubs.

I've been called those names for playing World of Warcraft. I've been playing over 7 years now. ^_^ I have a multitude of max level characters...I love Sci-Fi and am obsessed still with X-Files and 90s Nickelodeon.

If that makes me a geek/nerd...so be it, but I just call it being awesome.
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I like to call myself a well diversified nerd - I like a little bit of everything.

I'm a huge gamer of all varieties- board, table top rpg, video... I especially love table top roleplaying. I get super into my characters and enjoy the interaction and problem solving.
    I used to read more than I do now, but I'm slowly getting back into it now that I'm single again. I've read most of the classic SciFi/Fantasy colections, plus all of Game of Thrones at least twice, some books three times. Love Stephen King, too.
    I'm also a music nerd, I sing and write music once in a while. I was in 2 different choirs in my senior year of high school...
    I've been using computers since I was 5 years old, so... 23 years now. (Yeesh.)
    I go to the local SciFi/Fantasy Convention every year and dress up.
    I'm super into British tv right now; Doctor Who, Sherlock, Being Human, etc.
    I love my DS:9 and Star Wars (I have a circa 1983 RotJ kids sleeping bag I found at a thrift store on my couch.)
    I knit and crochet a lot, and love to do nerdy things like Jayne hats from Firefly or knight helmets.
    I know it doesn't sound nerdy, but I'm a fanatic about football, so... that kind of counts, right?

I hope to someday have a huge back tattoo with gearsinterlocking together, and inside each gear is a piece of my fandom - "Nerds are sexy." written in Gallifreyan. A Browncoat flag. The rose and bell jar from Beauty and the Beast. Rebel symbol from Star Wars. etc. Plus quotes from two of my favorite authors of all time: JRR Tolkien and Andre Norton. I want to be covered in nerdy things. :happy:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Lambda
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I watch anime.
    I play go (badly).
    I took differential equations in college. Also quantum chemistry.
    I used to teach statistics. If I were more motivated I'd use some statistical process control concepts on my weight loss effort.
    I still think Tom Baker is the best Dr. Who.
    I like the Shaw brothers hokey Hong Kong kung fu movies from the 1970's.
    I keep getting in fights on the fora because someone's science is wrong on the internet...
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I love Star Wars and Star Trek-- wierd even for a nerd/geek

I have read all of the - Harry Potters, Divergent, LOTR, Hunger Games, Twighlight, and even The Host, among others

I still have and will always keep all of my Archie and Betty and Veronica comic books

I work in finance

I know more than- as much about computers as my son.....

I got straight A's through college

Graduated at the top of my class in High School and College

Got awarded 2014 Outstanding Student when graduating college

Am the President of the Business Honor Society still- even though I already graduated

Amongst other qualifications lol

Oh yeah and I regularly attend the Renaissance Festival and dress up