Protein shakes are not for women?

Options

Replies

• eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Apparently this woman didn't want to make a sale. I wonder if the store owner would be interested in hearing that she attempted to turn away a paying customer?

Daily protein shakes and bars for me. No beard, no bulk. Hmm. I must be immune to the dark magic of macromolecules!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    The person who told you this is an Idiot. And she's spreading false information. Do I look bulky?? No! LOL!!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Apparently this woman didn't want to make a sale. I wonder if the store owner would be interested in hearing that she attempted to turn away a paying customer?

Daily protein shakes and bars for me. No beard, no bulk. Hmm. I must be immune to the dark magic of macromolecules!

This. I have several food allergies and most of them are to proteins. I drink whey protein most days, often mixed with milk as part of my breakfast.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    News to me. I have protein shakes every day to meet my protein goals. No beard, hair on back, or bulk. Just a lot less of me than there used to be. :)

Who knows what she was thinking but her information was wrong.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    My protein shakes and quest bars would have to be pried out of my cold, dead hands in order for me to give them up. Not happening. :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    99.99% if all supplements sales people have no clue what they are talking about.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    So after my workout I stopped for a protein shake, and the attendant says "You like these protein shakes huh? Well can I tell you something? Women are not supposed to drink protein shakes." She was trying to convince me not to buy it. She started going on about not supplementing protein, blah blah blah. I think she was trying to say it makes females bulky without saying it that way. Not only was she condescending but creepy all at the same time. Have any of y'all heard this "fact"? Can you maybe explain her rationale?

Protein shakes are food.

So just mentally review everything she told you and imagine the word 'food' being used every time she said protein shake.

"Women are not supposed to eat food"
  • CarineCNM
    CarineCNM Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't life be easier if we didn't care what people say (especially the uninformed)? She was so convinced in herself I was sitting in my car going over my undergrad nutrition class wondering if that was in one of the chapters I skipped. I have to say these replies have given me great joy. Thanks!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Another way to look at it:

Would you take vehicle advice from the guy at Jiffy Lube or Advance Auto?

Would you take prescription advice from the clerk at Walgreens?

Would you take diet advice from random people on MFP? Errrr...nevermind.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    What? FOOD is not for a woman?

You do realize a protein shake is just FOOD, right?

Surely, you do.
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options
    Do protein supplements have any side effects or harm? I also want to add some protein shake to my diet to fulfill the protein need.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Do protein supplements have any side effects or harm? I also want to add some protein shake to my diet to fulfill the protein need.

Did you read any of this thread?
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options

Did you read any of this thread?

Ya i read all the threads and some more like -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodybuilding_supplement

http://www.caloriesecrets.net/are-there-any-side-effects-of-protein-powders/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/whey-protein/safety/hrb-20060532
  • Italianma7
    Italianma7 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    OK, so I've sat here staring at my screen for like 5 solid minutes. There is no serious reply that I could give that would accurately describe how stupid that person was.

Go back to her in a couple of days, all wild eyed and whisper "You have to help me... the shakes... you were right... I've sprouted back hair..." or something along that line.

Lol ???? this ^^^^^
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Holy cow. Did anyone read this?

And I just got my Chike in the mail....
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Damn right, they're not. Now, get back in the kitchen.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    So after my workout I stopped for a protein shake, and the attendant says "You like these protein shakes huh? Well can I tell you something? Women are not supposed to drink protein shakes." She was trying to convince me not to buy it. She started going on about not supplementing protein, blah blah blah. I think she was trying to say it makes females bulky without saying it that way. Not only was she condescending but creepy all at the same time. Have any of y'all heard this "fact"? Can you maybe explain her rationale?

:laugh:

She's probably working up to selling you some herbalife next time.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are just a supplement and can be useful. Yes a lot of people consume needless excessive amounts of protein shakes but if your body doesn't need it it wont use it. You will not turn into some strange Neanderthal by consuming them
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

Holy cow. Did anyone read this?

And I just got my Chike in the mail....

Yes, I read it. "May cause" is FDA required labeling language. Lots of things people eat "may cause" those side effects. For me egg yolks do it. Gluten even more so. Carrots have side effects if you overdose on them. Water has side effects if you drink too much too fast. Enjoy your Chike if it isn't causing problems.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I will take your protein shakes.