Is skipping meals generally an okay habit?

Options
Let me preface this by saying I haven't had breakfast in over 5 years. Maybe an apple or so tops if I'm hungry. I'm just disgusted by food in the morning.

I'm not very overweight. I'm a skinnyfat. I need to lose about 15 pounds ideally by 6 months. Plenty of time, I'm already well on track for a pound a week.

Now here's my predicament. I love drinking. I drink twice on the weekends. I estimate it to be a +1,000 calorie ordeal for both Friday and Saturday. I want to say it's the reason I've become a skinnyfat, but I've been this way since high school (wasn't drinking back then).

I want to keep on track with my pound a week. Currently my diet hasn't really been much of a diet. My log this week looks like it was taken from an anorexic bloggers page. I'm netting around 900 calories a day on my non drinking days. Lately I've been skipping lunch to save the calories for "weekend beer o'clock". I can sustain this for the most part. Is this a safe practice though? I'm well aware I'm still consuming a dangerously low amount of calories each day. .

Is this going to have long term bad effects? I don't care about shedding all of my weight asap. I just want to meet (or exceed) my 1 pound goal in a sustainable lifestyle.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    In general when you have the calories does not matter - but the real details depend on the individual. Personally I can't skip meals. I get light headed, feel funny. Have to eat every 3-5 hours. My husband on the other hand is the sort who can get to working on a project and 'forget' to eat, go 12 hours, and have no ill consequences.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying I haven't had breakfast in over 5 years. Maybe an apple or so tops if I'm hungry. I'm just disgusted by food in the morning.

I'm not very overweight. I'm a skinnyfat. I need to lose about 15 pounds ideally by 6 months. Plenty of time, I'm already well on track for a pound a week.

Now here's my predicament. I love drinking. I drink twice on the weekends. I estimate it to be a +1,000 calorie ordeal for both Friday and Saturday. I want to say it's the reason I've become a skinnyfat, but I've been this way since high school (wasn't drinking back then).

I want to keep on track with my pound a week. Currently my diet hasn't really been much of a diet. My log this week looks like it was taken from an anorexic bloggers page. I'm netting around 900 calories a day on my non drinking days. Lately I've been skipping lunch to save the calories for "weekend beer o'clock". I can sustain this for the most part. Is this a safe practice though? I'm well aware I'm still consuming a dangerously low amount of calories each day. .

Is this going to have long term bad effects? I don't care about shedding all of my weight asap. I just want to meet (or exceed) my 1 pound goal in a sustainable lifestyle.

Since Aug. 2013, I stop eating by 8pm, and don't start eating until after my workout, which is usually around 1pm the next day.
  • Chuck_Finley
    Options
    Whew okay. I was worried. I try googling this and get both sides from a plethora of shady blogs that appear to be for profit.. trying to peddle wares and stuff on people. It's very predatory.

Basically, my diet layout is this. MFP suggests I hit 1800 calories a day. It says I need 2,300 to live. I'm a 26 year old male, 180 pounds, 6 feet tall and very lazy. I think that number is outrageously high.

My goal is 1,200 a day. I haven't even hit the goal once since I started, I'm always much under. Today was the first day I actually hit the goal because I skipped so much the past few days I decided to treat myself to some fried chicken and vegetables. Skipped lunch to help ease my mind. It was great, I'm still full by the way. But because I drink, I need to plan ahead right?

So my week is generally
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday + Sunday are all 1,200 days. Any less is great. Some days I can push myself and skip lunch, some days I can't.
    Friday and Saturday are my beer days. I'll try to eat responsibly those days (my best friend here in Korea is like me and loves to eat health food and sushi etc.). However we both like to drink. Even though I still exceed my food intake expectations, I still drink. Going to guesstimate those as 2000 days.

Is that a good plan? Literally -1000 5 days a week, possibly more. Usually more actually.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Skipping is fine.

Regularly netting 900 calories not including alcohol seems less fine.

How many non alcohol calories total (not net) are you consuming in a week?

Edit: okay, I see you just gave that. That's not healthy, but the issue isn't skipping meals.
  • Chuck_Finley
    Options
    This was my last weeks total caloric intake
    8/6: Wednesday 800 calories
    8/7: Thursday 350 calories
    8/8: Friday 1800 calories
    8/9: Saturday 650 calories
    8/10: Sunday 700 calories
    8/11: Monday 850 calories
    8/12: Tuesday 400 calories
    8/13: Wednesday 1250 calories

didn't drink saturday. I'm aware these are scary numbers, I'm doing my best to eat a little more.
  • Chuck_Finley
    Options
    Skipping is fine.

Whats wrong with this by the way? I'm just curious.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Are you sure you need to lose weight? Toning, building muscle might be more appropriate? Just asking as my husband is 5'9" and his goal weight is 175.
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It will work for a short time... but it may have unintended consequences. With that low a calorie goal, you will lose muscle. I wanted to lose muscle, you may not wish that. (I had hormonal issues I was also fixing).

I cut alcohol except for 100 cal of whiskey in the evening if I had calories left over. Cutting beer was painful for me (I homebrew). While I ate more regularly than you, my calories were low but well balanced. I had a breakfast of low calorie high whole-grain cereal (Kashi GoLean)... a salad for lunch (with chicken) and a salad for dinner (with chicken or steak). That was 1200-1500 calories for the day.

I dropped weight (fat AND muscle) very quickly. It will work and my diet was maintainable for the long term (it was interrupted for social / emotional reasons). Your plan sounds less maintainable.
  • Chuck_Finley
    Options
    I don't need to lose a ton. Gaining muscle would be great too. However I'm a little fat. I got a bit of a belly, bit of boobs.. thats my biggest problem.
  • Chuck_Finley
    Options
    It will work for a short time... but it may have unintended consequences. With that low a calorie goal, you will lose muscle. I wanted to lose muscle, you may not wish that. (I had hormonal issues I was also fixing).

I cut alcohol except for 100 cal of whiskey in the evening if I had calories left over. Cutting beer was painful for me (I homebrew). While I ate more regularly than you, my calories were low but well balanced. I had a breakfast of low calorie high whole-grain cereal (Kashi GoLean)... a salad for lunch (with chicken) and a salad for dinner (with chicken or steak). That was 1200-1500 calories for the day.

I dropped weight (fat AND muscle) very quickly. It will work and my diet was maintainable for the long term (it was interrupted for social / emotional reasons). Your plan sounds less maintainable.
    I see..
    your cure to this would be to eat a little more? I'm not planning on staying on this for the long term. I'm probably finished in October with the blunt of it.
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't need to lose a ton. Gaining muscle would be great too. However I'm a little fat. I got a bit of a belly, bit of boobs.. thats my biggest problem.

You may find better luck just trying to gain muscle with a normal caloric load. The fat will come off that way, too. Drinking will slow your progress, but not stop it, I think.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Skipping is fine.

You body needs a lot more calories than 900 daily.
    That low, for to long is bad....
    hormones get out of whack....
    lacking nutrients....
    just not good...
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Going extreme on calorie deficit makes you lose a good bit of muscle mass in addition to fat. Eating at a slight deficit (250-500) and doing regular strength training would allow you to strengthen the muscle tone you have left while losing mostly fat. And the leaner, toned muscles would make the remaining fat look better.

You may want to look into cycling between eating over to build muscle, then eating under maintenance to cut fat.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Heck I eat 900+ calories at lunch usually
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Skipping is fine.

Inadequate nutrients for one, and it will make the skinny fat issue worse by leading to muscle loss.
  • Chuck_Finley
    Options
    What's the plan here - should I up my calories to 1,200? I'm still not that fond of exercising. I should but I'm just so body conscious in the gym. I also need my beer. Somethings gotta give I guess.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Do you WANT to be skinny fat? Your diet is telling me you do....your body will catabolize muscle (along with fat and whatever else it can use for fuel) if you are eating at the kind of deficits you are talking about. The drinking is a whole different issue than the skipping meals,etc. If you don't care what you look like or your health in general then this seems like a great plan.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    What's the plan here - should I up my calories to 1,200? I'm still not that fond of exercising. I should but I'm just so body conscious in the gym. I also need my beer. Somethings gotta give I guess.

You tell us...
    What is your plan??
    What do you want to do??
  • MityMax96
    Options
    What are your stats?
    Height
    weight
    activity level
    Options
    I want to be able to drink and I want to lose 10-15 pounds of fat with minimal exercise. I know this sounds crazy but I just wanted to know if it was possible. I'm feeling very unmotivated right now. I feel like quitting altogether at this point..