Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Toots/Amber: China! Are you going to Guanzhao to pick up your children? So excited for you. BTW, any new books out there for me to read? If so, where to find them? Amazon? Safe journey.

How did you know all Chinese adoptions are finalized in Guangzhou? Do you know someone else who has adopted from China? Well, I don't know what the last books you read were. Have you read Rules of Engagement and The Tell-Tale Con? Those were my last two books.

Hubby's brother and wife lived in Guangzhou for years (now in states) and I was there a few years ago. Expats there are familiar with areas where most parents meet with their children and stay while waiting to exit the country. I can't tell you anything at all about the process except...when there, watch where you eat (NOT from street vendors), wash hands or use sanitizer often, and above all, take nothing irreplaceable with you. Beware of thieves and pickpockets. Even with our extreme diligence, we were victimized. Unless you are savvy and GREAT at bargaining, do not make any big purchases. My sister-in-law knew all the places to get knock offs, but periodically the police would descend on these places en masse and all heck break lose. Unless you have a driver and guide, traveling through the city can be treacherous. I hope you're in contact with someone at the agency who can give you tips and practical info. I'll email sil and see if she has any suggestions. Excited for you.

Nook is currently charging, but when done, I'll check titles. Don't think I've read those, but I have a terrible memory. I could use a good read. Not much worthwhile on TV lately.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Well, today really was a terrible awful no good day. We got away from home headed for the trip to Utah in the early afternoon as planned. About 3:30 and an hour from our destination, we were hit by an absolutely blinding downpour of rain and hail. My effort to get slowed down and off the road was rewarded by hitting the car in front of me that was already stopped on the shoulder. He had an Expedition and I was driving a Taurus so I didn't do much damage to his car, but I sure crumpled up the front of mine. It is now at an insurance approved body shop in Twin Falls and we are at our hotel in Burley. We'll go back in the morning and figure out what to do from there. We are not hurt.
    Needless to say, my mind is a bit scrambled for personal comments. Tlh, hope your daughter is improving. Laurie, I am glad that you are okay. So happy for all of the successes, and so proud of all the new folks who are making life changes for their health. I've been flat-lining for almost 6 months. I'm hopeful that I will be able to make some meaningful changes this month, but it's not starting off great.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @kaye--oh my! How scary for you! I'm so glad you weren't hurt. :flowerforyou:

@laurie--when I posted earlier you must have been simultaneously posting your great news about being cleared for exercise--so happy for you!! I also don't lift my max, but tend to go about 80% for 5 reps each set. I'm excited to see the results of the switch. Can't believe school is starting again. We also start next week, but not until friday. :ohwell:

@robin--that stinks about the washer, but at least you caught it before you ran it. I can't imagine what kind of mess that would have made. :noway:

@brenda--great job on your 5k--what an accomplishment after your knee surgery. :flowerforyou:

@tom--LOL about my typo! :laugh: You know I wasn't in any way implying that you've ever been close to a ton. :smile:

@susan--thanks, I also can't wait for our trip. Seeing you again and finally meeting laurie (and possibly a few others here) in person is all that's keeping me from depths of despair about starting school again. You are doing so great with your goals--one of the good things about exercising regularly is that even when you take a break, I think your endurance comes back so much faster than the first time around. You are proof of that with your 5 days a week! :drinker:

AFM--had a great dinner and came in under my calorie goal. On the down side protein was lower than it's been all month. Why can't pink grapefruit martinis be a high protein drink? :tongue: I have Ipad training all day tomorrow, so it's off to bed for me. :yawn:

Exercise Goals:
    Mon--walk gunner DONE + trainer DONE
    Tues--walk gunner DONE
    Wed--walk gunner + gym
    Thurs--walk gunner
    Fri--walk gunner + gym
    Sat--walk gunner
    Sun--walk gunner

August Challenge:
    Cumulative calorie surplus (shortage) = 54
    100g of protein = 5/31 days
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Well, today really was a terrible awful no good day. We got away from home headed for the trip to Utah in the early afternoon as planned. About 3:30 and an hour from our destination, we were hit by an absolutely blinding downpour of rain and hail. My effort to get slowed down and off the road was rewarded by hitting the car in front of me that was already stopped on the shoulder. He had an Expedition and I was driving a Taurus so I didn't do much damage to his car, but I sure crumpled up the front of mine. It is now at an insurance approved body shop in Twin Falls and we are at our hotel in Burley. We'll go back in the morning and figure out what to do from there. We are not hurt.
    Needless to say, my mind is a bit scrambled for personal comments. Tlh, hope your daughter is improving. Laurie, I am glad that you are okay. So happy for all of the successes, and so proud of all the new folks who are making life changes for their health. I've been flat-lining for almost 6 months. I'm hopeful that I will be able to make some meaningful changes this month, but it's not starting off great.

How scary! Glad no one was hurt.
  • tootsanderson
    Toots/Amber: China! Are you going to Guanzhao to pick up your children? So excited for you. BTW, any new books out there for me to read? If so, where to find them? Amazon? Safe journey.

How did you know all Chinese adoptions are finalized in Guangzhou? Do you know someone else who has adopted from China? Well, I don't know what the last books you read were. Have you read Rules of Engagement and The Tell-Tale Con? Those were my last two books.

Hubby's brother and wife lived in Guangzhou for years (now in states) and I was there a few years ago. Expats there are familiar with areas where most parents meet with their children and stay while waiting to exit the country. I can't tell you anything at all about the process except...when there, watch where you eat (NOT from street vendors), wash hands or use sanitizer often, and above all, take nothing irreplaceable with you. Beware of thieves and pickpockets. Even with our extreme diligence, we were victimized. Unless you are savvy and GREAT at bargaining, do not make any big purchases. My sister-in-law knew all the places to get knock offs, but periodically the police would descend on these places en masse and all heck break lose. Unless you have a driver and guide, traveling through the city can be treacherous. I hope you're in contact with someone at the agency who can give you tips and practical info. I'll email sil and see if she has any suggestions. Excited for you.

Nook is currently charging, but when done, I'll check titles. Don't think I've read those, but I have a terrible memory. I could use a good read. Not much worthwhile on TV lately.

Yes! We received that notice in our travel packet lol. Don't eat ANYTHING unless you know it has been thoroughly cooked and you know exactly what it is and how it was made. Also, don't drink any water, eat any fruit or vegetables, touch anything and not wash your hands, or attempt to drive at all. We will have an agency guide, but she won't be with us all the time. Honestly, because of the nature of our expedited adoption and our younger boy's condition, we probably will almost never leave the hotel and instead of the normal three week process, we will probably be there less than two in whole. It's more of a get in, get our boys, get out kind of situation. We'd like to do some sight seeing, but that's not going to happen this time.
  • tootsanderson
    Thanks for all the well wishes y'all. I'm you are all tired of hearing about it lol. All we are waiting on now is final travel approval. Our agency thinks we will get that probably next week. Then we will leave a week or so after that. I hope to lose weight there since we've been warned that practically nothing is safe to eat haha

I've been to Guanghou as I lived in Japan and travelled around Asia. I believe I've seen the orphanage...I remember a sign that said , Canadian Chinese. Orphanage, or something like that. It was a nice building (for China). Yes, You will definitely lose weight wheather you try to or not. Sometimes even though I wanted to eat the food, just looking at it would turn my stomach.
    I've been to China several times (once on my son's honeymoon!). BE careful...it's quite easy to get ill there. If in doubt, abstain from eating. I think what you're doing is wonderful..to adopt a Chinese baby...the child's life will be amazing with you as parents.

Some of the orphanages are really nice, some are less so. Neither of my boys are actually in Guangzhou, that's just where the American consulate is, so all American/Chinese adoptions have to be finalized there. One is in Shenzhen, which is actually pretty close to Guangzhou, and one is waaaaay over in Sanmenxia, Henan. We feel so blessed to be able to do this, not the other way around! Neither one of them are babies though. One is 11years old and one is 6 years old.
  • tootsanderson
    And with that, I will try very hard to stop talking about adoption or China! :tongue:
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    hi :flowerforyou: I'm Betty and I need and want to lose at least 200lbs. I've lost 30 since Apr...but the last 14 lost were since I joined MFP and began logging on July 15th. I am on a doctor ordered 20 or lower carb lifestyle now. I hate the word diet. Diet sounds too much like an option to my ears. Lifestyle is a commitment to me, so I opt for that word nowadays. I currently weigh 340.9lbs and I'm 50yrs old. My heaviest in life was when I was 30 at 430lbs. I had a non-adjustable lapband gastric surgery done and have been miserably living with it for 20 years now. Granted I lost 200lbs within the first 1 1/2 to 2yrs, but life's unfortunate accidents and illnesses allowed me to waiver just enough to lose myself once again only to regain back up to 369lbs just this past April. I still have the lapband in place, but will be having it removed sometime within the next months because it has caused me to develop Barrett's Esophagus now. My doctor is recommending that after I remove it, I take a few months to recover my body in it's natural way once again and then have a new gastric bypass done by the new year. To be honest, I'm not sure I will do this Roux-en-Y surgery or not. I'm trying now to learn for the first time ever in my life about carbs, proteins, fats, and calories. I'm paying attention to labels and picky about my choices of foods for the day. I'm extremely limited right now with my ability to eat the number of calories MFP is asking of me, but I try to eat what I can. I realize that the majority of my last 20 years have been with my body most likely in starvation mode as my doctor has told me. My average day before MFP was probably 200-400 calorie range tops. Now I'm striving with great difficulty to even reach 800...although I've been lucky a few times to better that. But with that goal comes a terrible downfall. I'm usually guaranteed to be "sick" once a day when more food is in the picture. I'm hanging in there though and it's paid off apparently because I recently lost a few pounds with those 800-1000 calories days!! YAY!!! I have aching terrible knees and ankles, but I have been evaluated by a physical therapist just recently and she gave me some minimal leggercises to do. I've also been on my treadmill for the first time in 15 years. I feel so slow on there, but I'm doing it. I'm a housewife with grown children and 3 grandchildren, but no one lives at home with me and hubby. So while hubby works at night, I scour the internet for low carb recipes and ideas and I check on MFP. I hope I can make some friends here even if I am a special case. I still know weight problems. And once my lapband is off, then I'm on my own fighting my weight alone just like you until I decide once and for all if I will get more gastric bypass or not. I sure could use some good listening ears and advice along the way. Thank you for taking the time to get to know me. Have a beautiful day :flowerforyou:
  • Brenda_1129
    Brenda_1129 Posts: 56 Member
    Good Morning and welcome new friends.

@Betty~ Check out Pinterest for your recipes. I always have good luck with that site. Good luck with everything.

Today is a pretty good day. After my workout last night I thought for sure my knee would be throbbing BUT surprisingly it doesn't hurt any more then it normally does (I should say its more of a general irritation, not hurt).

Wednesday Wishes: My wish today is that my boss doesn't say anything stupid and that my leadership dinner tonight is informative.

Have a fabulous day everyone
    BRENDA
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Thanks your concern. My Wednesday wish is that the car can be repaired quickly.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    @kah - I work out in the morning, but have a serious mid afternoon slump that is miraculously cure by a cup of coffee. I have a friend who is posting all over Facebook about going caffeine free. I am baffled as to why any sane human being would do such a thing. :huh:

@laurie - Great news! Have fun getting back to your usual active self.

@tanya - 28 to 20 is awesome! Enjoy the new skorts.

@skinnyjeanz - Sounds like we're both at about the same weight. I did see a small drop this morning to 181.6. Hey, it's a loss and I'll take it. I think this August challenge is just what I need to keep me on the straight and narrow and get to the next level. Glad to hear your health assessment went so well.

@susan - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist and tend to just do things myself instead of delegating. I love working with a team, but it's a double edge sword for me since I take on other's work when I see they are not getting the job done and increase my stress. I'm going to really have to work on that. I have noticed one thing that has changed for me over the last few years. I've learned how to be a bit selfish. I know that sounds bad, but after years of putting my kids first at all times, I finally have the luxury of thinking about me first sometimes. And I like it! I know you're not quite there yet with having Cyrus still at home, but try and practice putting you first when you can.

@robin - Had to LOL about the dishwasher. Sounds like something I would do.

@kaye - Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad it was only the car that was damaged.

AFM - Just another hot, humid day here in the South. I've reached the "I'm over summer" point and can't wait for the cool, crisp Fall mornings to come. I'm back in Missouri for the beginning of next week, but at least I get to fly corporate both ways this time. I'm consumed with jealousy that so many of you are getting to meet in NYC. Doesn't someone want to come visit in NC?

August Challenge - At or under daily calorie goal 10/12

Good Days: 10
    Not so Good Days: 1
    Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Days: 1
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Good morning all.

Kaye- here is your picture right side up I think you should be able to copy it for your main.

Kaye_zps38d6d03b.jpg

International Lefthander's Day
    Left Handers Day is an annual celebration for those lucky enough to have been born left-handed and also our way of raising awareness among the right-handed majority of the different talents and needs of left-handers, particularly children. Being left handed isn’t that uncommon, but it’s a condition not widely catered for; Lefthanders Day promotes consideration for left handed people by promoting left handed activities, competitive challenges and general awareness raising.
    Left Handers Day around the world, including in the U.S., U.K., and Australia is on August 13.
    The day was declared Left Handers day in 1076 by an organization known as the Lefthanders International.
    For the day, check out some facts about left-handed people below:
    -Roughly 10 percent of humans are left-handed, according to the Encyclopedia of Childhood and Adolescence
    -Most species, including polar bears or chimpanzees, are split about 50-50 in this regard
    -Left-handed people are not flawed, despite the popular sentiment at some points in the past
    -Famous left-handers include Alexander the Great, Prince Charles of England, Harry Truman, Pablo Picasso, Leonardo da Vinci, Eminem, Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie, Ken Griffey Jr., Oscar de la Hoya, Jay Leno, and Oprah Winfrey
    -Scientists haven’t figured out why people become left-handed. “People think it’s just an environmental thing, but you’ve got to think, why is there that initial bias in the first place, and why do you see that bias across all societies? Why aren’t there societies where you see a bias to the left?” William Brandler, a PhD student at Oxford University who led a paper about it, told Smithsonian. ”There is a genetic component to handedness, hundreds of different genetic variants, and each one might push you one way or the other, and it’s the type of variance, along with the environment you’re in and the pressures acting on you, which affect your handedness.”
    My Brother is left handed but me and my 3 Sisters are right handed. I am the middle child- older Sister and Brother plus two younger Sisters.

“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.” ~Jim Rohn

Tom
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    First, welcome to all the newlings that have stopped by recently—you found the best kept secret on MFP. :happy: You’ll find lots of support here.

@Laurie~Fantastic news, I know you are both relieved and anxious to get back to being active.

@Tanya~Wow, off the rails indeed! I don’t think I’ve had anything like a Bic Mac or Whopper in over 5-years—might put my body in shock! :laugh: Hooray for smaller work uniforms!

@Karen~Sounds like you had an overall positive fitness assessment. My trainer is on the foam roller bandwagon, too. I’m terrible about actually doing it, though--painful. :frown:

@L2T~I can’t imagine. Blasphemy!!! :laugh: I know my co-workers appreciate me on caffeine. :wink:

@Kaye~How scary, driving in storms like that is often scarier than driving in snow/ice. I’m sorry for the damage to your car, but very glad to hear everyone is ok. Hope the repairs to your car aren’t too expensive.

AFM~My vertigo was in full bloom yesterday so not much of a session with my trainer—he rolled out some of my tight muscles and then we did some legs, after that I just relaxed in the sauna for a little while. Vertigo still present today and my BP is low, along with a headache/neck pain so waiting hear back from doc. :frown: Not sure if I’ll work out today, probably will depend on what doc says and how I’m feeling this afternoon—may actually listen to my body and go home and rest.

August Goals:

Calories (at or below): 10/30
    Macros (within 2%): 8/30

Exercise Goals:

Monday~None DONE!
    Tuesday~Trainer DONE! (sort of)
    Wednesday~Cardio
    Thursday~Trainer
    Friday~Sauna
    Saturday~Rest Day
    Sunday~Trainer
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Good morning everyone. I hope you are all having a good week. Not sure what has been wrong with me the last few days. I wake up with the best of intentions and then before the day is half over I have completley wrecked it on food. I am trying to take ahold of myself today and shake this off. Needless to say the scale was ugly this morning but I know a chunk of it is water weight from all the take out so I am not going to go psycho over it. So I went to the fat2fit calculator and put in my info. It has me needing almost 300 more calories then MFP gives me. I am thinking about trying it since even when I have been really good I have seen very limited progress for the last year. I did so great the first eight months and now I am coming up on my 2 year anniversary and have basically just maintained for all of the second year. Dont get me wrong I am happy I havent gained it back but I am no where near goal so the maintaining has got to stop. Well that will be my wednesday wish that I break through this and get moving again. I am the only one who can do it so here goes :smile: I am going to start walking the dogs again today but very slow and short to start until I build up some more strength in my ankle.

Laurie I am so happy your tests came back with good news. Have fun getting your workout on:bigsmile:
    Tanya I understand how frustrating those days are. Unfortunatley I have had way to many of them the last couple of months.
    tlh I hope your daughter is feeling better. It is so scary when ourr kids are sick and we cant fix them ourselves:flowerforyou:
    Grandma Kaye that was a really scary story about your car. It is extra frustrating that you were doing the right thing by geting off the road and still ended up in an accident. I hope they get your car taken care of quickly:flowerforyou:

Well I am off to get some stuff done. Have a great hump day everyone.:flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :drinker:
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Well hello again everyone. So I am giving myself a headache this morning. I am sure I hate math more then anyone in the world. Even you Karen(skinny). I went to several different TDEE calculators and The numbers I am getting have my TDEE between 2500 and 2600 give or take a couple between the calculators. This is figuring a sedentary lifestyle since exercise is hit or miss at this time with the ankle. based on this if I subtract 20% I should be eating between 2000 and 2100 calories. This is almost 400 more then MFP gives me for a 2 lb a week weight loss. So I am looking for opinions on if it would be a good idea to switch my goals to this and if I do what should I do about any exercising I might be able to get in. Thank you in advance for your help guys. I am really not good at doing any kind of calculations. If any one has time and wants to double check that I did this right my stats are as follows. 315 (yeah I know ouch on the gain), 5 foot 8 inches, 42 yrs old. Again ty guys you are all the best.:flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart: :heart:
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Well hello again everyone. So I am giving myself a headache this morning. I am sure I hate math more then anyone in the world. Even you Karen(skinny). I went to several different TDEE calculators and The numbers I am getting have my TDEE between 2500 and 2600 give or take a couple between the calculators. This is figuring a sedentary lifestyle since exercise is hit or miss at this time with the ankle. based on this if I subtract 20% I should be eating between 2000 and 2100 calories. This is almost 400 more then MFP gives me for a 2 lb a week weight loss. So I am looking for opinions on if it would be a good idea to switch my goals to this and if I do what should I do about any exercising I might be able to get in. Thank you in advance for your help guys. I am really not good at doing any kind of calculations. If any one has time and wants to double check that I did this right my stats are as follows. 315 (yeah I know ouch on the gain), 5 foot 8 inches, 42 yrs old. Again ty guys you are all the best.:flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart: :heart:

Here's the stupid question of the day: Is TDEE the same as BMR if you select sedentary? I went to a calculator and my BMR came back as 1497 (5'8"/56 yo/Female/182 lbs). That seems like a paltry number of calories and even if I burn 300 a day due to exercise, I'm still well below 2000 a day just for maintenance! When I get to my goal weight (145), my BMR will be 1340. This is very depressing information.

BTW, I put in your stats and BMR came back as 2147 so I guess TDEE is somehow different.
  • KrisN30
    KrisN30 Posts: 19
    @krisn--I know it's easier said than done, but you shouldn't wait to start feeling good about yourself. You are here and you've made a commitment to a healthier life. That's something to be proud of and to feel good about even before you start to see tangible results. Also, every day that you make even one better choice regarding food or exercise than you did in the past, take a minute to feel good about it. All of it will add up to feeling better and better about who you are right now, which will translate to wanting to continue to make those good choices. :flowerforyou:

sorry but I just don't want to "wait to feel good about" myself. I have had the most miserable few years and even though I sucked it up and went out on walks on put on my summer clothes when I just wanted to hide in jeans and jackets like it's winter still, I still don't feel confident again. i don't see where that answer came from. i really do just want to feel better and not just confidence but wearing nice clothes again and going shopping and feeling good about putting myself out there and meeting new people again. I am getting a new job soon and I just want to feel good. I have been feeling sluggish lately and it's the weight gain and the crappy food I've been eating. I am just motivated by thinking about how I will feel when i lose weight. I just don't want and kind of can't feel good right now. I gained this weight because of some issues I was having with people a long time ago. I gained the weight from feeling sorry for myself so It's just going to take a while before I am fully okay with myself again. But losing weight is just a start.

By the way my Wed. wishes are to be treated with respect again (because I have been criticized a lot these past few years) and to finally get some sleep (3rd night in a row staying up all night wide awake.)
    sorry if I sound negative, I guess I just don't sound that way when i begin to type it lol :)
  • KrisN30
    KrisN30 Posts: 19
    I can't seem to get the quote right lol.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    @L2T~No, they aren’t the same. BMR doesn’t include daily activities—it’s your baseline energy, basically the calories your body needs at rest to function. Exercise and daily activities are factored into TDEE (it includes your BMR). So TDEE = BMR plus calories burned thru daily activities (i.e. sitting at a desk all day, doing dishes, etc.), basically no formal exercise. I do get a lot of walking in at work, but am a desk jockey—according to Fitbit I burn an average of 400 calories a day just working which is in line with my TDEE (before subtracting 20% for weight loss). I hope this makes sense—if not maybe Karen (Skinny) can explain it better. :wink:

@Tammy(jconst)~Did you use one of the calculators to calculate your BF%? I think you will end up with a more precise number if you do—but based on your info; yes I think it’s accurate. I also believe that MFP underestimates the amount of calories we need and overestimates the calories we burn during exercise. Try increasing your calories and see if it makes a difference—just remember to give your body a few weeks to adjust. If increasing by 400 makes you nervous, start out increasing by 200 and see how you do.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    I am SO behind here...will try to catch up more later.

I've been around my goal (within 100 cal) 8/13 days so far. TOM killed that. My goal is only 1200 a day, so I don't mind that I've gone over. Over by 500 calories won't even put me at TDEE.

Wednesday wish- I have 6 days before I hit my one year in of weight loss, and I'd really like to hit 179.9.

@Jconst - If you're sedentary your TDEE is about 2500, your BMR however is roughly 2140, which means by existing you burn 2140 calories a day.

14980 calories a week by existing.
    Now it's 3500 calories to a pound.
    14980-10000 (2000 calories a day for food) = 4980 total lost...so basically you have to burn 2020 more calories to lose 2 pounds a week.

If you follow your TDEE of 2568...
    17976 calories by normal daily activity (sedentary).
    17976-10000=7976 total lost
    3500*2=7000 so you will have lost 2 pounds in the one week.

When I was over 300 pounds I dropped to a 1200-1500 calorie diet because I found that dropping the first 70-80 pounds went a lot faster. I also feel like TDEEs are over-estimated, but that's just my personal opinion. I hope that helps!