To all the mommies, did your "loose skin" tighten up?

2»

Replies

• katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    "As far as the belly-after 2 c-sections, mine is a lost cause. I did seek the opinion of a surgeon, but decided I'd feel silly dying on the table-for vanity's sake. My solution has been to increase the squats (which really DO help both belly and bum) cut back on the carbs, and wear Ralph Lauren dresses with great side ruching; they make your figure (flawless or not) look uber amazing! wink "

1st of all I love your attitude! :) But a question about your concerns about the surgery. Did the surgeon tell you something that caused the concern? Is it a risky surgery? Asking because I know at my age and the amount of "flap" that would be the only way to get rid of it. Been thinking hard about a tummy tuck as a reward once goal weight is accomplished but your comment kinda scared me. :laugh:

I'm not "opposed" to surgery (I know some people are adamantly opposed to anything seemingly unnatural to get to a place where they are comfortable in their skin.)

I did not have easy c-sections (okay, second one was definitely not as hard-but then I popped myself open before I left the hospital, and took some time to completely heal.)

I've pondered surgery for a number of years (spent countless hours online researching, visited Portland's top surgeon, etc) and was told I would be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck. Several things made me hold off... First, my hubby has been more than loving and accepting of my "new" post-baby body, and tells me that when he sees my tummy-he sees our children. (Big, awwww...) :smile: also, I am more than a little afraid of being totally "out" during surgery (heart problems have been the number 1 killer of women in my family), and reading horror stories of women who have died on the table (while having cosmetic surgery) has inspired me to forgo surgery, work to get healthy and fit as I can, and be around to raise my kidlets (which, as you can see in my profile pic, done!)

Lastly, and while I haven't seen this for myself, one of the moms at school told me her friend had a tummy tuck. Looked great. And when she put on weight, it didn't go to her belly-but rather created weird bulges in other areas on her body. What's up with that?

12029845.png

Read pro's and cons online (people post their stories, pictures), talk to people that you know have had it done...and I would definitely seek out the best dr in the field in your area.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    I think most of this issue is genetics and age related collagen loss.

I had my daughter at age 23. I gained 70 lbs. mostly due to an impossible to treat during pregnancy, life-threatening condition called dilated cardiomyopathy that caused congestive heart failure during and after my pregnancy. I ended up very high risk, and was lucky to live through it, as at the time statistics were 4/5 died during or shortly after the birth.

My skin on my belly had zero stretch marks and bounced back very well. My breasts, hips, and thighs esp. were not as lucky. I have a fair amount of looser skin on my legs, and as I age, it seems to be getting worse. So, how did I manage to have a pregnancy gain of 70 lbs. and not get loose skin on my belly? the only thing that I can really find any information in books and online has to do with genetics and collagen production.

Apparently, if you have good collagen and basically good skin structure genetically, you may get by with none of the loose saggy skin after birthing children. I also read that waiting to have children, which many folks do now, increases the likelihood of the loose belly skin due to the natural loss of collagen as we get older.

It's unfortunate, and some wear it as a badge of honor, while it really bothers others. I can see both sides. However, I have to say, I am glad my tummy didn't get the loose skin, and sad my legs did. Can't win them all, I suppose.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!