For those who carry weight on their thighs

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Maybe..............

I'm a pear. I will always be a pear (from 160 to 106....I'm 5'5") .....I'm a pear. People have different shapes....this is largely genetic.

Just do the best you can.

106 is low for your height.

Yep - I look at pictures from back then and my face looks terrible. It was my first "success" at dieting...gained it back of course. Trying to maintain it would've been dieting forever....no thanks!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know.

Swear to God, they look bigger. Everything else is slimming down and they look worse now, in comparison.

I spend so much time trying to improve them, but the muscles don't need work. It's the fat!

I think all we can do is be patient and hopeful.
  • lenarashminraj
    lenarashminraj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    my body is genetically pear shaped.. my thighs are huge but after knee it looks slim, so i can wear dresses and skirts..
    Now my instructor is giving more focus on these problem area, and she says lunges and squats wil help alot..
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My thighs and butt are the last place I lose fat. They did eventually get smaller, but I'm going to be honest with you: I had gotten smaller in my chest, stomach, and arms also, even though I didn't need to. The proportions pretty much stayed the same, but I was a smaller version of myself.

I imagine once I get down to an ideal spot, I will try to bulk my upper body to balance my lower a bit. Just remember that genetics play a part in how you will look at goal weight.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Inch wise my thighs have gone down but I physically don't see the difference unless I stand in front of a mirror. I would like for them to be slimmer though...
  • michaeljacksonfan333
    Options
    You are probably a pear shape (like me). So we store our weight in our thighs. You should try modelmydiet.com
    it will show you what you will look like at your goal
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe..............

I'm a pear. I will always be a pear (from 160 to 106....I'm 5'5") .....I'm a pear. People have different shapes....this is largely genetic.

Just do the best you can.

106 is low for your height.

Very. I was thinking the same thing.
  • hdm426
    hdm426 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have always had big thighs due to being a gymnast. bigger thighs meant more power in tumbling, but now that i am older it is hard to lose the thighs, lol. in my case i have been using the bottom half of a sweat suit just for my legs, i roll them up to meet where my workout pants stop and wear them while i do anything cardio, and i can honestly say that i have noticed them trimming down since doing that. might be something you want to try. i dont recommend to do that everyday unless you are use to sweating and feeling the heat. but it is worth a shot.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I also lose weight from my thighs last, and my hips, but they do eventually slim down.

I've recently had a baby and my thighs were the first place I gained weight and they feel huge still, 3 months on. The weight is coming off my top half first! Exactly the same happened after my other two children.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Mine have definitely shrunk after losing 20lbs, but i have another 15, maybe 20 to lose. they are still the largest area on my body... i'm hoping they become more proportional with the rest of my weight loss.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes, but mine are still thicker proportionately.
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Patience, time and diligence! It will come off too, it's usually the last place I lose fat

I second the "patience, time and diligence" advice.

I've been with MFP since 2011. In recent months, I shook up my workout routine and got off the treadmill and started running outside. Recently, I put on a pair of old jeans that I wore during my "pre-fat" phase. Though they fit then, they were still tight around my thighs. But this recent fitting proved to me that I'd finally lost the thigh weight. Either that or I'd just really toned up my legs. So we're talking 3 years. Hang in there and keep it up. It will happen for you, I promise, if you just stay the course.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    The joys of being a pear shape.

I come from a family of pear-shaped ladies - I have just started my fitness journey so I can't tell you anything from my experience.

However - my sister, also a pear, did tell me after I started barre classes that they were what 'lifted' her butt the most.

I can also say that barre classes work my thighs, butt and legs in ways I never knew they moved. If you're looking to build muscle in those areas - it might be something to consider.
  • TheRealNoodlette
    TheRealNoodlette Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That's where I carry most of my weight too. I've lost over 40 pounds and I have about 30ish to go to get to goal, and this is what I have noticed: still have chunky thighs and butt, but they are reducing. I am going to measure next month, my 6 month anniversary so to speak, and compare the inches. I have gone down several sizes, and today I noticed that my underwear seems too big! Gotta go down a size! Also today I noticed that when I am on hands and knees in cat/cow position, my thighs don't touch like they used to. I am definitely a pear and I know I am going to have more butt when I'm done but I actually think it's super sexy. Luckily my husband is an *kitten* man :-). Also, as my tummy fat reduces my butt and things look better, I look less lumpy. Obviously I still have a ways to go and I have a lot of cellulite, etc. but I've made so much progress on the scale, and I can see the difference in the mirror, and feel it too, so I have faith I will get there eventually. I'm no longer a twenty something young thing and at this point in my life I just want to be healthy, strong, and relatively good looking (vanity, I guess).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You will lose fat. They will not get teeny. Strength training helps. Don't get too thin chasing after skinny legs. Be healthy.
  • letha723
    Options
    My father played football. He was a linebacker with very large thighs and butt. Growing up I was always called "thunder thighs" because I am built just like him. I'm talking about thighs the size of tree trunks and a shelf booty..

Unfortunately my large thighs remained about the same size even, when I lost 70lbs due to numerous spine surgeries. I need a knee replacement as well, so I just try to firm them up as much as possible, walk for physical therapy, and learn to deal with it.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My hips and the tops of my thighs are my problem area but they do get smaller eventually. I seem to lose weight from under my bust and then my stomach and then lastly my hips and thighs. A long time ago when I slimmed down to my perfect size (I have no idea what I weighed) I still had fat at the very top of my inner thighs but my legs were toned and shapely and fine. I think shapely thighs are sexy :wink:
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped and I played sports as a teenager; I will always have big thighs. Even after three knee surgeries and the recovery time around those, I really haven't lost any muscle from them. The only place I think I'll even see a minor reduction will be in the very tops because that's really the only place that I can actually pinch and pull (which indicates fat not muscle, muscle is much harder to grab). But like everyone's saying, it's all about body fat percentages and genetics.

My advice though? Learn to love your big thighs. They make you a strong, not less attractive.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Even when I was sticks and bones in middle school I always noticed my thighs being 'huge'. No different now. I've learned to love them since they won't be going anywhere.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    This thread gave me a sadz. And only because I have reached goal weight. I'm 119 at 5'4. My thighs and hips/butt have ALWAYS been my biggest area and they still are. They'll only shrink down so much if that's where you carry most of your weight. But it's ok ;) It looks good :)