More bacon and eggs than anyone should eat....(Whole30)

Options
Hi there!

My name is Danielle! I'm 23 (almost 24) and I'm grossly overweight. I want to hit my goal weight by July 2015. So here we go.

On August 4th I set off on my second Whole9 challenge. (Whole30.com). The first time I did it I went for the 30 days recommended. I lost 20 pounds without trying and felt better than I ever have! So after a month off of it I realized that I miss the feeling. So here I go. 100 days of "whole30" eating.

Whole30 Rules:

• No added sugar
• No grains
• No legumes
• No dairy
• No alcohol

I'm just looking for friends who won't judge how much bacon and eggs I eat!

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Seems very close to Paleo!?
  • MomforNoah
    Options
    I sent you a FR, I just started whole 30 this week. I was told about it from a friend that lost 15lbs in the 30 days
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm really really not trying to bash you so please don't read into my tone or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

How is that sustainable? I think I'd die, or cry, or fall off the wagon, or something. I lost over 20 the first month ish I was counting (before using mfp again starting 7/7) and it felt like no effort either because I was just logging. I guess I have a hard time comprehending putting time lines for weight loss on yourself. Or being so restictive, because in my life, there's no way I could avoid those foods forever.

And...I mean I can understand the basis of this...no added sugar because, who needs it, and dairy, well I have lactose issues so I can get that, and alcohol is empty. But. Grains? Legumes? For 100 days? It just doesn't seem realistic to me.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm really really not trying to bash you so please don't read into my tone or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

How is that sustainable? I think I'd die, or cry, or fall off the wagon, or something. I lost over 20 the first month ish I was counting (before using mfp again starting 7/7) and it felt like no effort either because I was just logging. I guess I have a hard time comprehending putting time lines for weight loss on yourself. Or being so restictive, because in my life, there's no way I could avoid those foods forever.

And...I mean I can understand the basis of this...no added sugar because, who needs it, and dairy, well I have lactose issues so I can get that, and alcohol is empty. But. Grains? Legumes? For 100 days? It just doesn't seem realistic to me.

I looked into it a while back, and while for my it's too restrictive, I know a lot of people see success with it. In large part it's meant to take most of the foods in your diet that you could have some sort of sensitivity to and remove them from your system for anywhere from 30-90 days, then you slowly add back in different foods to see if they're something your body agrees with.

It's an interesting concept, but like you, I don't think that for me it would be manageable.
  • woman_of_steele
    woman_of_steele Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did my first Whole30 in February. I loved it! I lost 10 lbs (could have lost more but was nursing and ate A LOT) and had 0 heartburn. I get cravings for greens now. And sweet potato. I would love to know what you eat because I plan on starting another one this fall.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    but booze :brokenheart:
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a horrible way to eat at a caloric deficit......

Why only 30 days though?? why not for 30 years??

What is going to change after the 30 days are over??
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What would you eat if your a vegetarian?
  • Rolloman
    Rolloman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Danielle -

I'm not a physician or an expert or anything but someone else, like you, who is trying to get healthier and lose weight. Everyone's body is different and what works for me might not work for you. . . . So the best I can offer is to say "way to go !!!!" and wish you the best success in attaining your ideal weight. You really can do it if you make it a priority.

A few things that have worked for me is to use the myfitnesspal ap and monitor my net calories each day (what I eat minus exercise). I also use the Jawbone UP24 wristband and app to make sure I walk at least 10,000 steps per day. Some days I do and some days I don't. So, monitoring my progress is a good motivator for me. I sit at a desk all day and have to walk when I get home.

Best wishes for success - don't give up!
  • polkadottedribbon
    Options
    It worked for me before. It's not something you do forever. It's a tool that you use to find out how certain foods effect your body. I didn't do the reintroduction period right last time and I'd like to do it again. Grains have always been my downfall so cutting them out is good for me. I don't think it's that hard. I eat lots of vegetables and fruit as well as meat and fish. I don't feel like I'm missing much in my own mind. When I'm off of it I'd like to add in beans and some gluten free grains. But this is what worked for me and the one time I stuck to a plan. So I'll continue doing it. However, I respect other ways of eating and other ways that work for you. It wasn't my intention to start any debates. Just find like-minded people or people who are just willing to be supportive.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Wow. I didn't realize this was going to get so much hate...guess I won't look for support. Good luck in all of your weight loss journeys. No matter how you choose to do them.
    Where is the hate?
  • shadowofender
    Options
    Wow. I didn't realize this was going to get so much hate...guess I won't look for support. Good luck in all of your weight loss journeys. No matter how you choose to do them.

There's not a single post of hate in here so I'm really not sure why you're having this reaction now? A lot of people are supportive, and even if there's other posts like mine, they're genuine questions and not hatred. Don't be defensive.
  • shadowofender
    Options
    It worked for me before. It's not something you do forever. It's a tool that you use to find out how certain foods effect your body. I didn't do the reintroduction period right last time and I'd like to do it again. Grains have always been my downfall so cutting them out is good for me. I don't think it's that hard. I eat lots of vegetables and fruit as well as meat and fish. I don't feel like I'm missing much in my own mind. When I'm off of it I'd like to add in beans and some gluten free grains. But this is what worked for me and the one time I stuck to a plan. So I'll continue doing it. However, I respect other ways of eating and other ways that work for you. It wasn't my intention to start any debates. Just find like-minded people or people who are just willing to be supportive.

Alright, see, that makes more sense. Good luck with your plan, wish you the best.
  • srd_23
    srd_23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That diet is too restrictive to work for me (I'd fall off the wagon), but I am also not judging you. You have to go with what works for you, and what makes you feel good. And who doesn't love bacon and eggs??? Am I right?
  • polkadottedribbon
    Options
    I changed it as soon as I posted it. It took me by surprise that people who didn't agree with it would even choose to respond. It was a knee jerk reaction and I "edited" it seconds after I posted.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Sounds totally horrible, but whatever works for you I guess!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    In for superfoods, ketones, gluten, chias, Ezekiels, GMO, and other buzzwords. Flax ya later bro!
    What would you eat if your a vegetarian?

Kale. Always kale.
    I like you. :flowerforyou:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You might like to check out the "Primal/Paleo support group". Things get silly out here in the main forums at any suggestion that what one eats matters. Only calories in and calories out is the explanation for everything in the whole universe. Nutrients, hormones, and nothing else plays any role at all. :noway:

btw: Whole30 is a 30 day strict plan of Paleo eating (I'm not a complete fan of W30, but like some of the concepts of it) . It is expected that a Paleo lifestyle IS forever, or yes, it would be a fail just like any other temporary weight loss measure; and that's the point, Paleo shouldn't be just a "weight loss measure"; it's about achieving ideal health imo.

PS. When I say Paleo should be permanent, what "Paleo" is varies person by person. Some people can tolerate rice, white potatoes and legumes and even some grains (ideally sprouted), others cannot. Nothing is carved in stone. You find out what works for you, experiment, and find your own way. It's not "hard" or "restrictive" imo, and on my personal journey I've come to think that no food is worth being sick over. Grains, legumes, dairy (too much), and a process food dominated diet make me fat and sick. No thanks.