What the Hell does "Snogging" mean?

Options

Replies

• jonny310580
    jonny310580 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    And then there's sex, which is called "shagging".

:laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

And pants are underwear.

lol seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

I find that when I lived in england pants were trousers and living in scotland pants are underwear

Not where I am in England - pants are underwear :smile: It seems to vary by region.

It always amuses me that Australians call flip-flops 'thongs', as thongs are a specific type of underwear to Brits. No idea what the American position is on this.
    When I was a kid and thong underwear wasn't a thing, people in the US called flip-flops both flip-flops and thongs. Now that thong "pants" :wink: are a thing here, we don't use "thong" so much for the shoes. lol
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I joke with my British friends that I need the Rosetta Stone for English in order to understand what they're saying.:laugh:

That's just cold, man. Cold I say!
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    In the UK, fanny is slang for vagina. Be wary!!

I was waiting on someone saying that!!

Me to, always makes me smile when I hear fanny packs mentioned on American shows, I always think, no it's a bum bag and so 1980's too.
  • rml_16
    Options
    h2620652A

Apparently, they changed some of the language in HP books for the US and took out a lot of the British slang. That makes me so sad. I want the Brit versions! I understand all that.

I even know that "cheers" means "thanks." :-)

I purposely ordered my copies of the books from Britain due to this :wink:
    I may order a second set for that purpose. I spent $180 on a set of hardcovers at Borders, but they're the American versions. They even changed the title of the first one!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There's a good list here for those that want more British slang: http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

Which reminds me that *kitten* is a 4 letter word here.
  • kb9222
    kb9222 Posts: 42
    Options

And pants are underwear.

lol seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

So what do you call what we call pants... do you refer to them by the style (jeans, khakis, etc)? What if you have a collection of different styles, how do you refer to the group (ie "Can you put these pants in the washer")?

We Just call them trousers. If the person is wearing jeans then we call them jeans. It's pretty funny for us when Americans refer to trousers as pants haha
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    Couple more:

on the p*ss / on the lash: going out to get exceedingly drunk
    knackered: rather tired
    miffed: a tad annoyed
    fit: sexually attractive often used in the sentence "fit as a butcher's dog..."

Knickers in a twist - to get one’s feathers ruffled
    Throw a wobbly - when you refer to someone who has just got their knickers in a twist’ and become even madder about whatever it was they got their knickers in a twist about
    Hammered - really really drunk after going out on the piss
    Skint - Run out of money usually to being hammered after going out on the piss
  • luthergravy
    Options
    Some of you people are having a giraffe, surely?
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    snogging is kissing , shagging is having sex. Hood of a car is the bonnet and trunk of the car is the boot
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    WolverhamptonFitness Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Lets not mix cockney ryming slang into the british language for our american friends... What I love is, when I speak to an american on say the playstation etc.. and they say to me "Learn to speak english..." Can you explain how that works? as you took our language and you use it lazy?
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

And pants are underwear.

lol seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

So what do you call what we call pants... do you refer to them by the style (jeans, khakis, etc)? What if you have a collection of different styles, how do you refer to the group (ie "Can you put these pants in the washer")?

Ahh what the Americans call Pants, we Brits call Trousers!
    Please feel free to question any other slang and i will dutifully respond :)
    p.s as other people have said already, snogging is so much more than a kiss, I would definiately translate to making-out also!
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Sack/bag of wank = A load of rubbish
    Nosh = *kitten*
    Chips = fries
    Crisps = chips
    Jelly = jello
    Jam = jelly
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Generic 'pants' as you would call them, Brits call trousers.

These can of course be categorised into jeans, slacks, chinos, etc. etc.

thanks Karen!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Lets not mix cockney ryming slang into the british language for our american friends... What I love is, when I speak to an american on say the playstation etc.. and they say to me "Learn to speak english..." Can you explain how that works? as you took our language and you use it lazy?
    I kind of prefer the British version, but I think it sounds weird with an American accent, so I don't use it when I speak. I would never say that to a Brit unless I was teasing.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options

I apologize on behalf of my countrymen. That is just ignorant.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Couple more:

on the p*ss / on the lash: going out to get exceedingly drunk
    knackered: rather tired
    miffed: a tad annoyed
    fit: sexually attractive often used in the sentence "fit as a butcher's dog..."

Knickers in a twist - to get one’s feathers ruffled
    Throw a wobbly - when you refer to someone who has just got their knickers in a twist’ and become even madder about whatever it was they got their knickers in a twist about
    Hammered - really really drunk after going out on the piss
    Skint - Run out of money usually to being hammered after going out on the piss

Lol - quality mate!
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    In the UK, fanny is slang for vagina. Be wary!!

I was waiting on someone saying that!!

And where you're from, every c**t uses the c word with reckless abandon! :D

In my experience the C word is considered very offensive in the UK, a colleague once used it in an outburst and there was an obvious gasp from everyone is earshot. Myself and people I know don't use it, in less someone is really really really really angry/outraged/fuming!