time of the month...ladies what exercises should i do?

Options

Replies

• KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I stick to my routine. I know I don't push as hard the first couple days of Aunt Flow's visit but I still do as much as I can and it seems to help the aches Flow brings once I'm finished with my workout.
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Also what foods should I avoid

Strawberry jelly is the first one that popped in to my mind but I'm not sure why.

Bahahaha! I know how I took the reason you said strawberry jelly!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    nothing that makes me bounce around!! Otherwise I am at the gym, pushing the sled, doing squats, lifting, etc.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I do as usual. I actually feel better as a result, I think. Granted, I have minor PMS symptoms - so apologies if this doesn't help. But for me, taking a little Advil & drinking water & getting on the treadmill does wonders.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Anything but Crossfit....oh and wear tight shorts.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Pop a Midol and you are good to go
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    TOM is cool because when you do squats, instead of going ATG (*kitten* to grass), you can go STF (string to floor).

Yesyesyesyes!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Do what you usually do.

I get the debilitating-work-from-home-sometimes-because-i-cant-stand-up-straight kind of cramps every month and yet, I have never thought to stop doing my thing because of the damn thing.

Do what you usually do. Chances are you'll probably feel better after.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I have added a good long session of yoga to that lovely TOM but otherwise it's all pretty much the same. If it's a rough one I do sometimes skip on my run and take a longer walk instead.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you can physically do it, then there's no reason to not do what you normally do.

I get that some people get periods so bad that they can't, so if that's the case, just do what you can.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I do what I normally do. Actually, I do it better because I am pissed off and probably just ate something covered in chocolate.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Unless I m in pain- nothing changes in routine
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Same exercises I do during the rest of the month, nothing changes.

^This. Except I might ease up on the weight or reps because I get fatigued around that time. Make it a deload week :laugh:

TOM is cool because when you do squats, instead of going ATG (*kitten* to grass), you can go STF (string to floor).

^One of the best answers :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I stick to my normal routine as much as possible, same exercise, same food. The only thing I do change is that I know my second day is always the worst, so I'll trade it if it wasn't supposed to be my rest day and make up the workout later on in the week and just go for a long walk instead. Really getting up and moving does a ton to help alleviate any cramps, tightness, etc and I find it helps with my cravings too.

Benefit of doing that? I still drop weight during my TOM.
  • solaceowl
    solaceowl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Its not I don't. I just don't want to get off track. If I don't workout for 5 days straight most likely what I fear is that I will end up stopping. And I use to stop and take months to get back working out and eat right and I seriously don't want that again since I'm doing well. Buy I don't want to spring a leak I just want to do something safe and light so I don't to see my TOM as an excuse.
  • solaceowl
    solaceowl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I heard TOM the metabolism is much higher and you burn more calories...i wonder if its true. I'm rarely hungry when its the TOM cause I also drink liquids and soups. But yes I go through terrible cramps till the point I can't get up at all.
  • cocorosalie
    cocorosalie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I take the first two days off (besides walking) because mine are always truly horrific, but even then I only walk on the 2nd day. I always end up eating chocolate and crying during the first two days, so my 3rd day (like today!) I go HAM.

Never put your uterus over your heart, no matter what you do. Start w/ cardio to get yourself in the mood and then listen to angry music and go lift. I actually broke my personal record for deadlift today, despite the wolverines in my stomach. I was good and angry and felt like Xena. 'Twas awesome. Then go do some fun cardio like elliptical (am I crazy?), or ghetto booty dancing. Jam out dude.

Then, get yourself a chocolate-y protein bar or shake. Bask in your awesomeness, and remember no man could ever do what you just did with rabid, hungry wolverines terrorizing your lower abdomen.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Hip abductor/adductor machine is the way to go.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    When my wife is in her monthly time of shame, she does pretty much what she normally does, but will add a couple more yoga sessions because she says the stretching seems helps her cramps. *nods* true story
  • Dourpussdora
    Dourpussdora Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    None. You're bleeding and need lots of rest to heal. :flowerforyou:

awwwwww lol :happy: