Just not losing wieght

Options

Replies

• kris628
    kris628 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    try drinking two glasses of water before you eat about ten mins or so before it has been helping me i don't eat as much and i feel fuller. I to am also an emotional eater and when i get this way i grab to glasses of water before i go for any kind of food and before every meal i drink two glasses of water. Some one told me that you have to kind of flush your body to help it lose the weight. and getting down on your self makes it harder to lose it as well. Just keep trying I have faith that it will come for you. if you need any more help or would just like to chat you can add me as a friend! I work in a hospital and have a dietitian on our floor i will ask him for you if you like ?

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU !
  • wibblewobblekaz
    wibblewobblekaz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My therory on muscle weighing heavier than fat!! makes sense when you think about it

http://www.myfitnesstrainer.com/free_fitness_library/p129/muscle_weigh_more.php
  • kbeller88
    kbeller88 Posts: 139
    Options
    try drinking two glasses of water before you eat about ten mins or so before it has been helping me i don't eat as much and i feel fuller. I to am also an emotional eater and when i get this way i grab to glasses of water before i go for any kind of food and before every meal i drink two glasses of water. Some one told me that you have to kind of flush your body to help it lose the weight. and getting down on your self makes it harder to lose it as well. Just keep trying I have faith that it will come for you. if you need any more help or would just like to chat you can add me as a friend! I work in a hospital and have a dietitian on our floor i will ask him for you if you like ?

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU !

Thank you..I haven't tried that before eating. I just drank water while eating lol. I'm trying not to get down but I think I'm just trying to see results to quickly. Thank you for the support and I know youll do awesome as well!
  • kbeller88
    Options
    [Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html
    It's merely more dense and takes less space and considering the OP stated that she fails to notice a difference in body composition this is unlikely to be the case.

Wow I was always told that muscle weighs more than fat. Thats what I kind thought was going on with me. that I was gaining muscle.
  • kbeller88
    Options
    My therory on muscle weighing heavier than fat!! makes sense when you think about it

http://www.myfitnesstrainer.com/free_fitness_library/p129/muscle_weigh_more.php

hm. I thought that too. I'm going to stick with it though. lol..makes me feel better anyways.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    hard to say really without seeing your diary and exercise..you could be choosing high sodium foods this tends to be the case when you first start most overlook this do you use a HRM? for logging workouts and how much do you do per week?
  • kbeller88
    Options
    hard to say really without seeing your diary and exercise..you could be choosing high sodium foods this tends to be the case when you first start most overlook this do you use a HRM? for logging workouts and how much do you do per week?

well I try to at least work out a lil bit everyday whether its 15 or 60 mins and no Im not really sure how to use a heart rate monitor but I know Its pumping!!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Thats probably the reason then ..your calories burned more than likely arent accurate and your exercise varies ..try 60minutes Cardio 4 -5 times a week if your health allows and try to get a HRM for a more accurate burn ...they come with a manual
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    [Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html
    It's merely more dense and takes less space and considering the OP stated that she fails to notice a difference in body composition this is unlikely to be the case.

Wow I was always told that muscle weighs more than fat. Thats what I kind thought was going on with me. that I was gaining muscle.

I think it's something that's misunderstood. Muscle is a dense fibre, fat is not, hence 5lb of fat will take more space than 5lb of fat, but 5lb is still 5lb just like a pound of feathers weights the same as a pound of steel, because a pound is a pound.

Unless you are doing compound exercises with heavy free weights, it is unlikely that in this short time you have build that much muscle to completely cancel out any fat loss on the scale. But people will believe what they like and the "fat converts to muscle" myth will be around forever.

I think it is more likely that you underestimate your intake (do you measure & weigh your food or do you just guess portion sizes) and overestimate your output (I see a lot of people here having quite unrealistic ideas of what certain exercises really burn), and 15 mins of cardio unless you bust a gut running hard intervals, will do very very little.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You have to give it more time. Your body and metabolism have to adjust to the shock.

And if you are on 1200 calories a day then eat your exercise calories and keep the number above 1200. At least don't let it go under for more than a couple of days. That's the general baseline to keep your body's famine response from kicking in. It will stop burning fat and carbs and pulling protein from your muscles for energy. This is a scientific fact.
  • kbeller88
    Options
    You have to give it more time. Your body and metabolism have to adjust to the shock.
    True. I am definately not quitting anytime soon!! I want too feel better.
  • kbeller88
    Options
    I think it's something that's misunderstood. Muscle is a dense fibre, fat is not, hence 5lb of fat will take more space than 5lb of fat, but 5lb is still 5lb just like a pound of feathers weights the same as a pound of steel, because a pound is a pound.

Unless you are doing compound exercises with heavy free weights, it is unlikely that in this short time you have build that much muscle to completely cancel out any fat loss on the scale. But people will believe what they like and the "fat converts to muscle" myth will be around forever.

I think it is more likely that you underestimate your intake (do you measure & weigh your food or do you just guess portion sizes) and overestimate your output (I see a lot of people here having quite unrealistic ideas of what certain exercises really burn), and 15 mins of cardio unless you bust a gut running hard intervals, will do very very little.

I don't wiegh my portions but I do measure them out and usually only meausure after its cookd plus I make sure that its always just a lil under so that I know i'm not over.
  • kbeller88
    Options
    Thats probably the reason then ..your calories burned more than likely arent accurate and your exercise varies ..try 60minutes Cardio 4 -5 times a week if your health allows and try to get a HRM for a more accurate burn ...they come with a manual

Thank you. I hope I can find a good one that works with alot of movement...lol my blubber jiggles alot bahahahahah
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
  • arielboyer
    Options
    People with more to loose loose it quicker, so if your husband has more pounds to shed his are going to fall of quicker in the beginning. Your meds are probably playing a role as well. I put on 15lbs after starting my antidepressants. Also, it's possible that you are swapping chub for muscle. Believe me, I understand how exciting it is to see the numbers on the scale move downward, but maybe there are other positive aspects you could focus on. Has your energy level increased? Are your clothes fitting differently? Determination is key. Keep at it!!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Also muscle weights more than fat, so you are converting your fat into muscle right now, a week and a half is nothing and better to stick then put on...........have patience and stick with it, good luck x

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html

Thank you! I get so tired of seeing this mis interpretation on here!! A pound is a pound. And fat does not convert to muscle they are two different substances. I'm not trying to be mean, it's easy to believe this because people are saying this all over the place on here. It takes lots of heavy lifting to gain enough much muscle to make a difference on the scale.
  • 24man
    24man Posts: 58
    Options
    You can change your focus. Don't focus so much on the number on the scale. Focus on behavior modification. Now that's something you can control. You can control what goes in your mouth, you can control being more active, getting more exercise. Make your goals (changes in your behavior) not long term goals, but FOREVER goals. We should be trying to get healthier and these behaviors will work toward that end. Make the changes and the weight will follow. We all want to change ourselves overnight, but the changes that tend to stick around the longest are gradual changes.

Good luck.
    God bless.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend tracking your measurements in addition to weighing yourself, especially if you're exercising.
    Go to My Home>>Check-in. I take my measurements on the 1st of every month. Use a flexible tape measure, the kind used in fabric shops/tailors. Very cheap, find them at Target, Walmart, etc. in the fabric aisle.

Also, your medications could definitely be affecting your progress. I just saw this on an episode of Dr. Oz and The Biggest Loser.

Cut out all higher-calorie beverages, drink only water, black coffee, tea, skim milk. Drink tons of water throughout the day.
    Try to limit your sodium intake to 2,000mg. MFP's goal of 2,500mg is too high.
    Cut out all processed, prepackaged food. I know they are convenient and cheap but they are loaded with calories, sodium and chemicals. They provide very little nutrition (fuel) for your body. Eat only whole, real food.

You need to have patience and stick with it. The ideal weight loss is only 1 pound per week. Check out the link below that another MFP member posted as his "bible." Lots of great info! Good luck hon.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/weight-loss.php#section1
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Also muscle weights more than fat, so you are converting your fat into muscle right now, a week and a half is nothing and better to stick then put on...........have patience and stick with it, good luck x

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html

Thank you! I get so tired of seeing this mis interpretation on here!! A pound is a pound. And fat does not convert to muscle they are two different substances. I'm not trying to be mean, it's easy to believe this because people are saying this all over the place on here. It takes lots of heavy lifting to gain enough much muscle to make a difference on the scale.

Absolutely, especially for women!!!! Even when I was lifting quite heavy for my size (squatting 60kg when I weighed only 54kg etc) I was hardly bulky. For women to develop that much lean mass to counterbalance fat loss on the scale or gain weight due to muscle gain, you're either a professional body builder, abuse steroids or a freak of nature!!! :laugh:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple more weeks as you are. If after that you have not had a couple pound loss, up your calories to between 1300 and 1400. I stalled at about week 6 at 1200. I added 100 and stuck to it for a couple weeks and lost nothing. I added another 100 to be at 1400 per day and I started to lose consistently, averaging 2 lbs a week. Sometimes us larger gals just need a bit more to convince our metabolism that it isn't starving. I started out heavier than you and this worked for me.

I average 60 minutes 3 times a week for exercise, but only enter half the time in MFP, using their database, so I don't overestimate my calories burned. I haven't invested in a HRM yet. I usually use some of my exercise calories, but very seldom do I use them all.

Good Luck!