Favorite type of greek yogurt?

Replies

• jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    I really didn't like the Yoplait because all I could taste was the artificial sweetener, but that's just me. I love Chobani (especially the coconut almond flip) and Muller (especially the caramelized almond). They're still loaded with sugar, but I struggled for years to enjoy yogurt and I'm just glad I can finally eat it. Of the two, Muller is a lot thicker. Oikos isn't bad either, but it tastes a little thick/chalky to me.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Not sure if you can get this in the States but Rachels Organic Greek Yogurt is lovely. Sorry I don't have nutritional values but if I eat it then it's pretty O.K.Other than that as others have said the range of Greek Yogurt (as with most things) is very limited here in the U.K.so Muller Light Greek yogurt is the next best.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    I love Noosa Greek yoghurt! It's full fat (11gms) and 270 cals per 8 ounce container but I work it into my diet. It is so yummy!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    I usually buy Fage (of, if I make the trip to Costco, their Kirkland brand is quite good). I buy plain and add either fresh fruit, a little honey, or some "all fruit" type jam. I do buy the flavored individual yogurts as well, as they are easy on the go, and my kids love them.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    None of that fat free muck for me. I go for Rachel's Natural ..

Ingredients
    organic natural yogurt (from milk)

Nutritional information
    Typical values Per 100g:
    Energy 457kJ/109kcal
    Fat 8.3g
    of which saturates 5.2g
    Carbohydrate 5.0g
    of which sugars 5.0g
    Protein 3.6g
    Salt 0.1g
    Calcium (16% NRV*) 126mg

I also love the Ginger one.

http://www.rachelsorganic.co.uk/range/big-pots/greek-style-ginger
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    we dont have a wide range of greek yoghurt in the uk but the muller light lemon is lovely

Yes we do ... try Rachel's
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    I've been eating the Oikos as well and wanted to try something new this week. I got the Dannon Fit & Light Strawberry Cheesecake/Raspberry Chocolate package (6 containers/80 calories each).

Haven't had the Raspberry Chocolate yet, but the Strawberry Cheesecake was absolutely delicious :)

[And I say this as someone who really can't stand the taste of plain yogurt.]
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Target has a brand called "simply balanced". I prefer it to the others. I just buy plain and add my own ingredients. My fav combo right now is pb2 and vanilla protein powder. Tates like a vanilla wafer.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    I used to eat Chobani all the time. I stayed away from Fage because of how expensive it was... but I ADORE Fage 2% plain. So good with fruit and nuts, and if I'm in the mood, a little bit of raw honey. I haven't been able to find the full fat Fage in any of my supermarkets, but I recently picked up the Chobani full-fat. (It's labeled 4%, it's dark green, 32 oz). I like the flavor and the smooth creaminess, however it is a little too watery for me.
  • Home made! I know, sounds time consuming, but it isn't!

You need:
    1/2-1 gallon organic milk (I use whole)
    Yogurt starter (3-4 Tbsp live culture yogurt such as Fage, or some from your last batch!)

Using candy thermometer, pot, and wooden spoon heat milk over med-high until it reaches 180 degrees. Remove from heat. Let milk cool to 110 degrees. Setting the pot in a sink or bowl of ice water makes this part go faster.

Meanwhile:
    Spoon yogurt starter into large enough glass bowl to hold all milk.
    When milk has reached 110 degrees add about a cup of it to bowl with starter and whisk until well combined. Add the rest of the milk to bowl and cover tightly.

Now, you need to keep it warm for about 8 hours. There are many suggestions for that on the internet but this is my fav:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees for 1-2 min. Turn it off! Turn oven light on. Wrap your bowl of going to be yogurt ;) in some dish towels and place on oven rack near light. Close door and walk away.

8 hours later...

Your yogurt is done culturing and can be placed in the fridge. 4-8 hours without disturbing will yield best results. Whole milk will make for a thicker yogurt, lower fat = thinner.

Want Greek? Line a colander with coffee filters or cheese cloths and place over another bowl (like a double boiler). Spoon yogurt into colander and strain until you have reached desired consistency. You can make this so thick you will be able to stand a heavy spoon up in it. Plus you have whey in the bottom bowl!

This whole process only takes about a half hour of actual hands on time and has saved me TONS of money! For a few dollars a week I can give my family organic dairy products that contain only the things I want to give them. I use this yogurt plain in place of sour cream and in dressings. Really strained "yogurt cheese" is thick like whipped cream cheese. I make "go gurts" for the kids with silicone tubes. And of course Greek yogurt for snacking!
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    I like Alpina and also the generic from Aldi's Supermarket and Shaws. As far as the sugar content goes, I've noticed that depending on which fruit is added to the yogurt, the sugar can vary. Don't know if this helps, but these are the types I usually buy.

Just read the post about making your own yogurt. Sounds AWESOME! I'm wondering how long it would last once it's done?
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Chobani for me, since it's the only raspberry-flavored Greek yogurt i can usually find.

And I also got some of the bad Chobani yogurt about a year and a half ago. They sent me coupons for six free four-packs! It did take a couple of packages for me to trust the product again, but now I love it.
  • ahbooker
    ahbooker Posts: 42 Member
    Dannon Activia Key Lime GREEK!! or the Dannon light and fit grrek blends coconut or strawberry cheesecake or the vanilla
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    I eat Great Value Light Black Cherry or Strawberry Greek Yogurt.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 150 G
    Servings Per Container 1
    Calories 90
    Calories from Fat 0
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0 G 0
    Saturated Fat 0 G
    Trans Fat 0 G
    Cholesterol <5 Mg 2
    Sodium 45 Mg 2
    Potassium 190 Mg 5
    Total Carbohydrate 9 G 3
    Dietary Fiber 0 G
    Sugars 8 G
    Protein 12 G
    Vitamin A 0
    Vitamin C 0
    Calcium 15
    Vitamin D 15
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    greek gods honey vanilla -- it's GMO free and not all runny like some of the *very few* other gmo free yogurts
  • For greek yogurt Dannon Lit and Fit is so good, someone listed nutrition facts already. If you have a Krogers or like store I get their Yogurt Carb Master....with a bunch of different flavors and only 49 cents regular price.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 container (170 g)
    Per Serving % Daily Value*
    Calories 60

Calories from Fat 13

Total Fat 1.5g 2%
    Saturated Fat 1g 5%
    Cholesterol 10mg 3%
    Sodium 100mg 4%
    Potassium 140mg 4%
    Carbohydrates 4g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Protein 8g

Vitamin A 0% · Vitamin C 3%
    Calcium 2% · Iron 11%
  • clau_nectarina
    clau_nectarina Posts: 44 Member
    Smari (Icelandic) is the best! High protein and low calorie. Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere after moving to CA... I used to find it at the New Seasons around Portland, OR. I don't like the fact that Chobani made their sizes smaller, so I'm eating Fage these days. I always eat the plain (18gr of protein and 100 calories) and add the fruit that I like (peach, nectarine, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, pear...). I don't like the ones that already come with sugar or fruit because the protein content is lower and I can't control how much sugar goes into it.
  • Full Fat Faye! sooo good and a nice substitute for sour cream in recipes too
  • trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    Siggi's Coconut yogurt (not a strong flavor) techinically it's Icelandic yogurt but its soooo good.

Nutrition Facts Serving Size1 container (150g)Calories200Calories from fat100* % Daily ValueTotal Fat11g17%Saturated Fat10g50%Trans Fat0gCholestrol10mg3%Sodium60mg2%Total Carbohydrate11g4%Dietary Fiber0g0%Sugars8gProtein13gVitamin A0%Vitamin C0%Calcium15%Iron0%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet - See more at: http://siggisdairy.com/products/detail/skyr/coconut/84/#sthash.d9pGgitV.dpuf

http://siggisdairy.com/image/2/315/315/1/images/products/Coconut_Original-53ebb5722413b.png
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    I'm not too fond of most flavored yogurts, but I do like the Tillamook greek yogurt (vanilla) 12 g sugar and raspberry (14 g sugar). Mostly I just eat Fage and add my own honey and/or fruits to it.