The No S diet

Options

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yuo'd be amazed how much I can fit on my plate for Firsts, LOL

Yup. I would just make sure there was enough on my plate that I didn't want seconds.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm out - I eat snacks, sweets and seconds.

And I still lose weight. :drinker:
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Actually - you missed an important part of the No S Diet - the exception! The website saysf:
    There are just three rules and one exception:

No Snacks
    No Sweets
    No Seconds

Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"

So, the whole idea is that you eat like they did in the "old days" - meaning no snacks, no seconds, no dessert all the time - except twice a week you can break the rules. It's actually pretty maintainable because you can eat ANYTHING at ANYTIME as long as you follow the rules most of the time. On Saturday and Sunday (the days that start with S) you can indulge.

I tried it for several months and it seemed very doable because it allowed me to pass up a lot of temptation because I knew in just a few days I could have an indulgence day. I didn't lose any weight doing it, but I did maintain. I will probably do it again when I hopefully get to my goal weight.

His website is pretty easy to read - http://www.nosdiet.com/

It's not for everyone and it's not for me right now, but it is much more reasonable than it's been made to sound here.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Sounds tedious, restrictive, & unsustainable.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Actually - you missed an important part of the No S Diet - the exception! The website saysf:

No Snacks
    No Sweets
    No Seconds

Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"

So, the whole idea is that you eat like they did in the "old days" - meaning no snacks, no seconds, no dessert all the time - except twice a week you can break the rules. It's actually pretty maintainable because you can eat ANYTHING at ANYTIME as long as you follow the rules most of the time. On Saturday and Sunday (the days that start with S) you can indulge.

I tried it for several months and it seemed very doable because it allowed me to pass up a lot of temptation because I knew in just a few days I could have an indulgence day. I didn't lose any weight doing it, but I did maintain. I will probably do it again when I hopefully get to my goal weight.

His website is pretty easy to read - http://www.nosdiet.com/

It's not for everyone and it's not for me right now, but it is much more reasonable than it's been made to sound here.
    Hmm... I wonder what old days they are talking about. My parents and grandparents had dessert (homemade pies, cakes, milkshakes etc) after dinner every night, not just the weekends. Mind you, us kids got quite a bit more outdoor exercise with playing and chores in the evenings, so it was perfectly fine.
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

No Snacks
    No Sweets
    No Seconds

Except (sometimes) on days that start .
    I posted that there is one exception but forgot to add the exception....oppps
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    What about second breakfast? What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

lmfao
  • heatherterp
    Options
    What about second breakfast? What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

no supper it starts with S. you can have dinner :)
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    The problem with these kinds of diets is that they deprive you of the foods you love to eat and so no one is able to stick to them for long.

People might try them for a few weeks (if that), lose a few lbs, then quit because they can't do it anymore. Then they binge on snacks, sweets, and seconds until all the weight comes back.

This. Eat now, how you plan on eating for the rest of your life. Learn now, the tools to eating the foods you enjoy in a way that's sustainable for not only weight loss, but to maintain that weight loss for the next 20, 30, 40+ years. Creating pointless restrictions now, is only going to lead to failure.
  • spanishgirl182006
    Options
    I did the no s diet and lost some weight. It was the only diet i ever stuck to for that long. I stayed on it for two months and I lost 10 pounds. I really would recommend it.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Gigglesnort
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I did the no s diet and lost some weight. It was the only diet i ever stuck to for that long. I stayed on it for two months and I lost 10 pounds. I really would recommend it.

Then what happened?
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I'll pass thank you.

No Snacks. - Fail - most days I have an clementine as a snack, sometimes even *gasp* a packet of crisps (potato chips)
    No Sweets - FAIL (and glad!) - every day I have some chocolate.
    No Seconds - actually I can probably achieve this one - but only because I pile my plate up enough to fill me up on the first sitting.

Awww man - I've fallen for a resurrected thread. It was the 'no sweets' part of the OP - got me riled I didn't check the postdate! Grr.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of it, the website says

"The No S Diet, also known as the "Grandma Diet," the "Why Didn't I Think of that Diet," and the "No $ Diet" is a program of systematic moderation I invented for myself that I imagine might work for similarly minded people.

No funny science or calorie accounting involved, just a few simple and mnemonic tricks for building sustainably "good enough" eating habits.

No Snacks
    No Sweets
    No Seconds"

I see the three rules - but what's the one exception? I gained weight eating everything - not just sweets and snacks. I have been very successful with the "funny" science and calorie counting - to the tune of a little over 100 pounds. It took 2 years - but who cares - I wanted to be here for those 2 years anyway.

Best of luck! Let us know how this works for you! :drinker:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    For gimmicky mnemonics, I am enjoying thinking about the Pros. A bit more Protein, a bit more Produce, a bit less Processed foods.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I had a nice Grandma! She let me have all of these things.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

"The No S Diet, also known as the "Grandma Diet," the "Why Didn't I Think of that Diet," and the "No $ Diet" is a program of systematic moderation I invented for myself that I imagine might work for similarly minded people.

No funny science or calorie accounting involved, just a few simple and mnemonic tricks for building sustainably "good enough" eating habits.

No Snacks
    No Sweets
    No Seconds"
    I'm on a diet not invented by me that is even simpler than yours it has one it's called the common sense diet it has one simple rule The rule is

Eat less food

HTH
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    So, If I eat an entire large pizza to myself, that passes every test right?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No Snacks
    No Sweets
    No Seconds"

I think the "food environment" has changed since the days of our grand mothers and great grand mothers. Whereas they used to cook with lard, and not crisco. They used butter, not margarine. Coca cola servings were tiny in comparison to our "big gulp" sizes, and were occasional treats as opposed to every day or every meal. Egg omelettes used to contained the yolks, and not the bland, pale white egg omelettes of today. Homemade bread with a slather of butter and homemade preserves were eaten, instead of cosmetically engineered pop tarts. Pieces of chicken actually looked like pieces of chicken, while today you can nuke processed chicken pieces that are formed in the shape of rockets and dinosaurs. Fruit was consumed as it came off the tree it was picked from, and not a strip of colourful sweet leather devoid of the original fiber and nutrient content. Bacon came from pigs, and not turkeys. Meatballs were made from fatty ground meat, and not GMO soy tofu. And beef used to come from cows that ate lots of grass, and not pumped up with hormones and stuffed with GMO grain feed. Snout to tail eating was more common, as opposed to the nothing but chicken breast eating of today. And cheese was made from whole milk, as opposed to the rubbery disgusting fat free cheese of today.

I have made the choice to eat whole foods, limit the processed crap, not fear the fat content in foods, and limit the type of foods that increase my food cravings. As a result, I naturally eat less (no seconds), I don't need to snack, and I don't need the sweets, as I am satiated with the right foods.

None of your claims about how people eat today describe how I eat, either now or when I was gaining weight.

Over generalize much?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    So, If I eat an entire large pizza to myself, that passes every test right?

Nope.

I did this diet for a while after a friend of mine lost 60 lbs on it (oh, and she kept it off). Most of the people on the forums there who've been successful have kept the weight off long term.

The rules are slightly more complex than what the description leads you to believe. Not incredibly so, you can figure them out by reading for 10 minutes on the website. And its all free info, he doesn't make any money off of it. The diet website is not his source of income.

Anywho, it's no seconds, snacks, or sweets except sometimes on days that begin with s.

Basically, three meals a day M-F, then you can indulge a little on weekends (he sums up weekend eating by have some treats, but "don't be an idiot"). The three meals should be one plate of food. So, no, one pizza does not count as a meal unless it's a very small personal sized pizza.

Lots of people have success on it because by following the rules, they've create a small calorie deficit (this diet does not promise to make you lose weight quickly) and can follow it without counting calories forever. That's a very attractive option for many people. It's a diet of moderation.

I tried it for a while. I wasn't able to find the right balance that would make me lose. But for a lot of people on the forums, the trick for losing the weight for them was cutting out their "nightly ice cream" and making it a "weekend ice cream". I don't think that's crazy at all.
    I'm on a diet not invented by me that is even simpler than yours it has one it's called the common sense diet it has one simple rule The rule is

Eat less food

HTH

That's pretty much what this diet is too. He targets the "egregious offenders" (whatever it is that you personally overindulge in) and says make it a sometimes food by only eating it on weekends.