Too "heavy" to work out... Any tips??

Options

Replies

• losingforgood120
    Options
    Wow thank you all SOOO MUCH for the tips and encouragement!! I'm still reading the comments but a popular one is swimming, which I really like to do but never thought about it for exercising... I go to L.A. Fitness which does have a pool, but there only seems to be senior citizens in there... I think that I would feel out of place and would attract attention and I'm still very self conscious being there as it is [I'm sure not everyone is staring at me but it feels like they are!]

I think with time you would not feel self conscious. You wouldn't even think about. If you are interested in it I'd say give it a chance a few times and you'll realize you don't even think about it. Hopefully. :)
    Thank you so much! I fell last winter on some ice, and my knee has been in pain since then, I have never had it checked out... That just scared me straight a little, that something could really be wrong. I'm going to go see a Dr so I can know exactly what is going on... I guess I just figured they would think the pain is from me being so over weight and the thought of that is embarrassing for me. But is time for me to take care of myself. Good luck to you as well! Yes we can :)

I had knee pain I ignored for a year. When I finally went to a doctor he said my kneecap was so misaligned I shouldn't run anymore. He said it could have gotten worse over time - I could have needed surgery. I would be careful with your knee! Maybe you should see a doctor... My doctor told me to lose weight for my knee so... I'm working on it. He also gave me a steroid injection in my knee and I did a month of physical therapy. It helped. But I expect it to get a lot better once I lose more weight.
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 450lbs when I first set foot in the gym, so I don't really buy this "I'm too heavy" stuff... You just have to accept that it's going to suck for a while and take it slow, figure out what your body can do and then push yourself a little bit more each time you work out.

FWIW, the recumbent bike was my best friend when I started exercising.

You can do it! Good luck!

Well I don't mean it literally, but being as short as I am, I could only describe my feeling as Heavy. My work out partner is 100 lbs thinner than I am and I can't do a quarter of what she does and it's discouraging since I want to so bad... I have been able to do 30 mins on the bike tho :) Congrats on your amazing progress and thank u!

This sounds familiar. I wonder if this is closer to the root of the problem. I recall early on when I started running being at the gym on the dreadmill. Next to me would be another runner and I'd notice they had their machine set to 6 or 7 but mine was only at 4. I felt like I wasn't pushing hard enough. Perhaps I was doing it wrong.

I'd increase my speed but couldn't sustain it. After many attempts I ended up with shin splints and doubts. I eventually realized, they were running their run but this was my run. I could only do what I could do. But I COULD do it. So I learned to run my own run and stop comparing my effort levels and progress to others.

Now I run for the joy of it. I run for me. Don't compare your effort levels or progress with anyone else. The only person you're competing with is yourself. Do what you can and be proud of every thing you do.

For now do what you can. In time you'll become comfortable with your exercises and you can step it up a notch. You'll want to. It's exciting to see what your body is capable of and the possibilities are spectacular.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Didn't check the whole thread to see if anyone else has suggested this, but SWIMMING!

Get some lessons. I started out as a very obese 44 year old nonswimmer; swimming was one of the keys to 82 lbs lost so far and 18 to go to reach my goal weight. Swimming is a great non-impact exercise that won't tear up your knees. Also, when I was heavier I had a lot of misery from the body heat with most kinds of exercise - but with swimming, you've got a million gallons of water in there to help keep you cool.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    You say you want to work out, but do you? I was almost 30lbs heavier than you when I started. Also with a bad knee, couldn't do any jumping exercises or a full squat, but I did what I could. Finally had knee surgery, by that time had lost close to 40lbs. Though it took awhile, I can now do ATG on the squat.
  • readysetgo69
    Options
    go to the pool, musch less stress on the body, you can do lots of exercises, and get a great workout :)
  • tpyle65
    tpyle65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, At 309 lbs 5 years ago I know what you are going through. Today, I can easily do 1 hr or more of exercise, and walking is not an issue any more, since I got to a healthy weight for me! Here is my suggestions--supporting what has already been said to you: start doing something to move your body, and try walking, a little bit at a time. But do not give up. Just do it, and with time you will see results. Sometimes the gym can be intimidating, so walk outside, or go to a mall and walk indoors, making it more fun for you. Also, how well are you doing with your food intake? Exercise alone will not help you get to your healthy weight. Good luck to you!
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    My heart wants it, my mind wants it, I feel motivated... Then I get to the gym and my body says Nope! I'm 5'2, 244, so I just feel too heavy to get moving and it's very discouraging. I also have knee pain from an old injury. Sigh... I don't know what to do.

My best advice? Don't let your body bull**** you. You can do it, but your body will ache. It's gonna hurt. There will be days when sitting at home watching TV or Youtube or whatever sound a thousand times better, but you can do it. How do I know? I still weigh over 370 pounds right now. My body still tells me I can't do it when I go to the gym to do a minimum of a mile (but funnily enough, I never feel as amazing as I do in the hours after I leave the gym).
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with the walking part thats what i have done and it worked for me because i didn't need to drive to a gym and i could do it whenever i wanted to do it.. Use the map my fitness app or get a fitbit to help keep track of your calories burned that helps as well.
  • AAForsyte
    Options
    I have an old knee injury as well and get that. I suggest swimming or the elliptical. It is low impact on my knee. But when I went to the gym I found weight lifting much more entertaining and do able. Currently I walk and use the elliptical and when its too much for my knee I ice it and use KT tape and a pain reliever. I still make a goal for myself of 15 minutes on every exercise and then break it down into 5 minute chunks. Music helps a whole lot too!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My heart wants it, my mind wants it, I feel motivated... Then I get to the gym and my body says Nope! I'm 5'2, 244, so I just feel too heavy to get moving and it's very discouraging. I also have knee pain from an old injury. Sigh... I don't know what to do.

WATER... find a pool and use it! You can work out in it and not have any pain... it's how I started and still what I do and trust me if I can do it YOU can too! So if you don't have one at your home to use, then find the YMCA or Public pool... heck even the lake! Swim laps, jog in the water, aerobics' in the water, jumping jacks... tons of choices and the water makes it real easy.
    This!!!! Swimming is great.
    Use the pool to improve your fitness. Use MFP to improve your nutrition.
    It's a win win situation.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    IF NOTHING CHANGES............NOTHING CHANGES

I was 360 lbs, embarrassed and scared....we all are

No one is watching you.........NO ONE IS WATCHING YOU

Ok, off my soap box, but seriously, NO one is bothered by you ,no one cares,...............its all about them

Just MOVE your body

thats how I did it, Im at 258 this morning and have 40 lbs more to go.......but I didnt stop from going into the gym

again, you have to make the first move
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight of 325, I had severe knee pain. I would do water aerobics, swim and ride the recumbent bike or use a recumbent ellipical. I would walk as much as tolerated, but 15-20 minutes max as my knees would hurt like hell.
    Best advice is to do what you can. Just move and as the weight comes off you will be able to do a little more than you did before until you are doing things you never thought possible.
  • pajouey79
    pajouey79 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I go to L.A. Fitness which does have a pool, but there only seems to be senior citizens in there... I think that I would feel out of place and would attract attention and I'm still very self conscious being there as it is [I'm sure not everyone is staring at me but it feels like they are!]

Disclaimer: I may be in a crabby mood.

I used to do those aquafit classes at LA Fitness with all the "senior citizens" in my 20's. Suck it up. They are old enough and mature enough not to judge or care what you look like. Or just wait until they are gone and do laps with the old creepy guys. It's your choice, but I feel you are just making excuses.

If people judge you, they are juvenile. You need rise above their pettiness. None of us are going to change that for you or go with you and pep talk you through it. If you get to the gym and are all "Nope, not today", do it anyway, you already made it most of the way there, for crying out loud. Find the treadmill and have something to watch/read/listen to and ignore everyone else. If you only do five minutes, who gives a crap. That is five minutes more than a lot of other people.
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You say you want to work out, but do you? I was almost 30lbs heavier than you when I started. Also with a bad knee, couldn't do any jumping exercises or a full squat, but I did what I could. Finally had knee surgery, by that time had lost close to 40lbs. Though it took awhile, I can now do ATG on the squat.

Yes, I do, that's why I am in the gym every morning, doing what I can do. Congrats on your progress
  • likewhoa712
    Options
    THANK YOU AGAIN TO EVERYONE WHO IS GIVING ME TIPS AND POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT!! :) And to everyone who is negative and snarky, I will use that as motivation when I am finally in a position to give newbies help, I will never forget that place I once was...
  • amyjay1973
    amyjay1973 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was looking for this today. Thanks for your post. I struggle with motivating myself to exercise. I have to remind myself that any movement will at least get me going and that it is a start.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The important thing to know is that it is not where you start, it's how much harder and faster and heavier you push yourself over time. Start where you are and do more every week.

Also, I used to think that all those thin, fit people at the gym were having a wonderful time working out and it was only me that was gasping for breath, dripping with sweat, muscles burning. Over time I've come to know that a good workout consists of pushing yourself, no matter what shape you're in. Those thin, fit people are likely pushing just as hard as you are. They just understand that the results are in the discomfort and mental toughness of working a little harder a little longer.

I think you need to stop comparing yourself to others, and really double check whether your mind and heart are in the game. Much of working out is mental, whether you're running, lifting, doing yoga, trying to finish a class, etc. Don't let your mind make excuses for your body.
  • bke52
    bke52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had chronic knee and foot pain ever since a car accident nearly ten years ago, in which my foot and knee were crushed. I take no pain medication, not even OTC anti-inflammatories, but I can run, swim, and walk miles--you can do it, too. You have to push through the pain to some extent. Working the knee will strengthen the muscles that support the joint and reduce your pain. Swimming is really excellent for days when you need to 'rest' the knee, too. And do squats! Even if you can't go very low in the beginning and you can only do three per day, do a few EVERY day. You'll get better at them and you'll be able to increase the dip and the reps. They strengthen the knees and legs like nothing else.

As for being self-conscious, I promise you that NO ONE is judging you for working out. They might think you're fat, but they also see that you are trying to do something to change that--if anything, they probably look at you and think, "good for her." As an overweight runner, I pass by thinner runners every single day; I make a point to smile and greet them and they respond in kind; I don't assume they're judging me for my weight--after all, I'm out there doing the same thing they are and I'm doing it at a weight that makes it a heck of a lot harder.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Be proud of yourself for starting. Find something you enjoy doing at the gym (or at home, if it means you want to start with going for progressively longer walks outside, etc.). I started at 281lbs.
  • likewhoa712
    Options
    I was looking for this today. Thanks for your post. I struggle with motivating myself to exercise. I have to remind myself that any movement will at least get me going and that it is a start.

You're welcome :) Good luck to you...