Tough Love

Options
KITA (aka Kick In The *kitten*)

We all need one once in a while. Some more than others. This one is about responsibility.

My KITA was finally recognizing that it was monumentally stupid to have the knowledge that I possess and, out of sheer laziness, refusing to apply it to myself. I took my KITA (with a bit of grace, I hope) and the lightbulb came on and I finally realized that I had been ignoring my responsibility to myself. I am responsible for me, my actions, my words. It is MY responsibility to use the education I worked hard for, to improve my life and the lives of those close to me, at the very least. I’m lucky in that I’m starting this process with a good dose of knowledge about nutrition and health already. But it didn’t come through osmosis – I worked for it. I have been wasting it, but I’m changing that. I’m sure I’ll need more KITAs – I hope someone is willing to give them when I do need one.

Here is your KITA. Stop pushing the responsibility to educate yourself onto others. You came here wanting something – to lose weight, to look better, to be healthier, whatever. It is your responsibility to put in the work required to reach that goal. That work isn’t just about going to work out for a while every day, or faithfully logging your meals. Healthy, sustainable weight loss requires that you learn a few things and bulk up your brain while you trim down your body. (That last bit is horribly cheesy, but I like it anyway.)

This site is an exceptional tool to further your ability to reach your goals. But it is still your responsibility to USE all of the tools it offers. There are miles and miles of posts on MFP (and of course other places) that explain everything you ever wanted to know about weight loss. There are incredible people here, many with a wealth of knowledge about nutrition, exercise, the human body and many other topics. There are people with lots of experience. Feel free to use them. Most of them are more than happy to share their knowledge…. (here comes the catch…wait for it)… IF YOU ARE WILLING TO MAKE AN EFFORT TO EDUCATE YOURSELF.

Search the topics, read the threads, ask questions when necessary, pay attention to the informed answers – and stop fishing for someone to tell you what you want to hear.

Stop looking for the quick fix, stop expecting miracles. They don’t exist.

Stop saying things like “Well I’ve always done it this way…” -- If it worked so well, why are you where you are?

Stop saying “I can’t do that (drinking water, eating regularly, etc)” -- We all hate some part of this. If we loved it, we wouldn’t be fat. There are hard choices to make. Make your choices and live with them.

Some things will work for you, some won’t. Be willing to TRY, give it enough time, and if it doesn’t, move on and try something else.

Take responsibility for your choices, your mistakes and your successes. Take responsibility for all aspects of learning how to improve your health.

RESPONSIBILITY = CONTROL = POWER

Empower yourself.

Replies

• aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Awesome post :smile:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!!

You see so many excuses being made on these forums...

"My husbands snacks in front of me"
    "People bring biscuits to the office"
    "I don't have time to exercise"
    "I'm too tired"

etc etc etc It's like it's somehow always the fault of other people or circumstance. :grumble:

HTFU, take responsibility and do it!! :laugh:
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! I really need this KITA for myself!! This is an awesome post and I would like to send it to my daughter's email if you don't mind as she has been struggling too.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,683 Member
    Options
    Love this post.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    THIS POST NEEDS TO BE PINNED TO THE TOP OF THIS FORUM OR A REQUIREMENT FOR EVERYONE TO READ!!! (yeah I'm screaming) :bigsmile:

I absolutely agree with it all!!
  • girlabouttown
    Options
    Thanks!!! Just what I needed :happy:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Glad you all like it! :bigsmile:

Bev, feel free. I hope it helps as many people as possible, no matter where they are. :flowerforyou:
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    That is great and so true.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Shamelessly bumping before I head out for the day! :tongue:
  • ukjohn
    ukjohn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow !!

well said ...absolutely well said
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    awesome post!

My "favorite" is "I don't have time to exercise"

Really? Because I work 40+ hours a week, drive 1.5 - 2 hours a day, 5 days a week to get back and forth to work, have 3 kids, am a GOOD mom, cook dinner several nights a week (hubby and I take turns), am a full-time student, make hair-bows for the kids, and do other crafty stuff occasionally, and this is just during the week....and guess what?!?! I STILL manage to find an hour or so a day to exercise. It is called PRIORITIES! Get some! Arrange them in a nice fashion that allows you to get some exercise! I *need* the energy I get from exercising to accomplish all I have to do in a day.
  • jpondy
    jpondy Posts: 6
    Options
    @SpaceCase76 - "I *need* the energy I get from exercising to accomplish all I have to do in a day."

Now that's a great quote and THE reason to make working out a priority. Less Energy = Less Done = No Time to Work out

Greate Job!!
  • scottg9999
    Options
    Great post... thank you very much! Bumping it so more people well get the chance to read it.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Wow !!

well said ...absolutely well said

Thanks John! :blushing:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Great post... thank you very much! Bumping it so more people well get the chance to read it.

Thank YOU! :wink:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    awesome post!

My "favorite" is "I don't have time to exercise"

Really? Because I work 40+ hours a week, drive 1.5 - 2 hours a day, 5 days a week to get back and forth to work, have 3 kids, am a GOOD mom, cook dinner several nights a week (hubby and I take turns), am a full-time student, make hair-bows for the kids, and do other crafty stuff occasionally, and this is just during the week....and guess what?!?! I STILL manage to find an hour or so a day to exercise. It is called PRIORITIES! Get some! Arrange them in a nice fashion that allows you to get some exercise! I *need* the energy I get from exercising to accomplish all I have to do in a day.

I have SO much more energy now that I'm exercising. And I sleep better!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Sneaky bump :embarassed:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Read Me? :ohwell:
  • Hannastyrbjorn
    Options
    You now've been officially bumped ;)
  • ErrataCorrige