Mothers who throw tantrums?

Options

Replies

• _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    How did she end up living with you? I know it is none of our business but just thinking she sounds horrific and maybe that was a bad choice...isn't there some way you could transition her (and the stepdad) out, into (if applicable) low income housing for seniors or SOMEPLACE that isn't your house?

*grabs popcorn and waits patiently*
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    oldafter.jpg
    black+plus+sign.png
    toaster-via-stainlesssteeltoastersglow.jpg
    why ruin a perfectly good toaster? \m/
    $3 ever spent @ ↓↓↓
    Goodwill-logo.png
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    While the parents are gone, place all of their things out in the drive way and change the locks. When they call, tell them that if they can't live by YOUR rules -they can't live in YOUR house.

+1
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    Options
    How did she end up living with you? I know it is none of our business but just thinking she sounds horrific and maybe that was a bad choice...isn't there some way you could transition her (and the stepdad) out, into (if applicable) low income housing for seniors or SOMEPLACE that isn't your house?

*grabs popcorn and waits patiently*

Love you ..mean it
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ....You are an adult. Move out????????? :laugh:

This. Good christ, grow up.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I think this is a case of mom moving in with daughter, not daughter moving in with mom.

You need to establish the boundary that this is your house and she is a guest in it. Point out who moved in with whom.

You could also video or audio to record a tantrum and see a counselor on your own to ask how to handle it. That way you'd get the opinion of a pro tailored to your specific situation and issues.

I had an grand-uncle by marriage who used to behave that way. After his tantrums he acted like they never happened. He eventually died of mad cow disease (actually, Creutzfeld-Jacob disease, possibly familial, possibly acquired through his work as a surgeon). Not too likely, since there are rarely over a dozen of that in the US in a year--but if her outbursts represent a change in her life-long behavior, she might be developing some age-associated brain disorder.

Or she could just be a control freak acting out because she's not the alpha female in the house anymore.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    So we got good advice on kids throwing tantrums I want good advice on mothers who throw tantrums. She lives in my house, meaner than a snake, and out weighs me by 40lbs (plus that whole stepdad in your face for disrespecting your mother thing-which btw HAS NEVER HAPPENED..cough*) Points for creative answers...cuz shes not gonna leave....so time to figure out torture techniques (yes i am kidding, she is only 66 and has her wits about here, mostly)
    It's your house, remind her that it's your rules and some things won't be tolerated. Can't speak to your childhood, but that lesson was deeply ingrained during mine. She's taken the situation for granted and thinks there are no consequences. Are she and your step-dad anywhere on the legal paperwork to the house (deed, home loan, etc.)? If not, you can rattle her caged by reminding her that she is allowed to stay there because of you, not in spite of you. I'd recommend you lay down some boundries with consequences. Without those consequences and the belief that you will carry them through, she won't respect you.
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    Options
    Or she could just be a control freak acting out because she's not the alpha female in the house anymore.
    [/quote]

actually she is...im more of the laid back type.... and mad cow disease sounds great.....how do i inject?
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

You need to establish the boundary that this is your house and she is a guest in it. Point out who moved in with whom.

You could also video or audio to record a tantrum

oh you should DEFINITELY do this.
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Mother's little helper...

ljvvy9q
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Create a thread on an internet forum asking for advice. You're sure to get plenty of good answers.

(This also works well for problems with romantic relationships.)
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    ....You are an adult. Move out????????? :laugh:

This. Good christ, grow up.

Reading comprehension - it's not just for 3rd graders and the SATs.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

You could also video or audio to record a tantrum

oh you should DEFINITELY do this.

I have recorded tantrums before.
    v2zih0.gif
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    she's old. point her in the direction of the nearest shuffleboard tourney and you're golden for hours.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One word "Zzzquil", you're welcome.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Fog horn - every time she opens her mouth

*BLLLAAAAAATTTTTTTT* Sorry, didn't hear you.....

I said... *BBBLLLLAAAAAATTTTTT*

While she is asleep, hide the remote - replace w/ GIANT version and HIDE all the AA's - works best if you have Netflix / DVD / VCR and a Barney video (Telletubbies will work as well) to turn on first. Oh yes, an a pair of ear plugs for yourself.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    http://www.thevillages.com It's Florida's Friendliest Hometown*

Send her there. It's like an orgy for old people. I'm positive it'll put her in a better mood.

*They've gotten the STD outbreaks under control.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    NEVER GONNA HAPPEN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NEVER GONNA HAPPEN
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    What if you just started walking around naked all the time? Would she weird out?