1,200 - but what if you're eating good food?

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

If someone put potato chips on one table and spinach on the other and said, "Point to the one that is bad for you," you would have a hard time with that? You'd say, "There are no bad foods! I can't pick!"

Or would you point to the chips, knowing that they are not good for you?

Why are you telling me what you're eating for dinner?

I'd tell them that they're asking the wrong question.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

If someone put potato chips on one table and spinach on the other and said, "Point to the one that is bad for you," you would have a hard time with that? You'd say, "There are no bad foods! I can't pick!"

I'd tell them that they're asking the wrong question.

Ohhhhh, good answer :drinker:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The point you are ignoring is that determining whether one food is better for you than another is highly dependent on context. "Better" doesn't have an objective meaning that is consistently true for everyone in every situation. If you are talking to an overweight diabetic, the definition of "better" or "healthier" is different than if you are talking to a recovering anorexic.
    Good. Excellent.

Glad I won't be seeing any more posts suggesting that there are no good and bad foods, that healthy is the focus, but that has to be based on the individual's particular dietary needs.

Wonderful.
    Just to clarify -- there are no objectively good or bad foods, everything is fine in moderation (unless you have an underlying medical condition), what is healthy for you may very well be detrimental to me, and I'm having pizza for dinner tonight.
    Really?

You seemed to think that I agreed with you. I don't. There is nothing in chips that is "bad" for me. If they were arsenic-flavored chips, that would be another story.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Glad I won't be seeing any more posts suggesting that there are no good and bad foods, that healthy is the focus, but that has to be based on the individual's particular dietary needs.

Wonderful.

I'm pretty sure you'll continue to see the same posts that you've seen and misinterpreted, misconstrued, and misrepresented in this thread.

There are no foods that are INHERENTLY (ie - in and of themselves) good or bad. That is what MOST MFP posters say. Not that completely false line you started this argument with.

"Pizza is bad" is not necessarily a correct statement. "Carrots are good" is not necessarily a correct statement.

You're welcome for the clarification.
    Most MFP posters don't think that there is any difference between potato chips and spinach.

No one - certainly not "Most MFP posters" - has ever said this.
    I will be delighted when I no longer people saying, "Donuts and ice cream aren't bad for you! There are no bad foods! There are no good foods, It's just a matter of calories!"

I'm thinking that you still aren't getting it 100%.

Donuts and ice cream ARE NOT bad for you - and, eaten in moderation, can actually be beneficial in your diet.

Case in point:
    Let's say that I had just black coffee for breakfast, some lentils with broccoli and grilled chicken breast for lunch, some lemon fish with a spinach salad for dinner...
    Wouldn't a scoop of ice cream be just fine as dessert? It has calcium, my diet hasn't been very "sugary" today, so where's the problem?
    And if I opted for the donut instead, sure, it may lack the calcium, but my calorie count for the day is low. If I've already got plenty of nutrients for the day, why should I eat a bunch of kale chips, a carrot or a boiled egg? I won't get extra credit for the extra vitamins.

ETA: They are not bad for you by just being what they are. Over-indulging in them IS not a good way to eat.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If i had to choose between eating a chicken breast or a deluxe pizza (only), I would definitely choose a deluxe pizza. It would be healthier as it has more macros/micros.

So you can't just say a chicken breast is healthier than a deluxe pizza...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Chips are not bad for you.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Now I want chips and spinach dip...

hot-cheesy-spinach-dip.jpg

God bless you.
  • tawnywest
    tawnywest Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie diet and it is more than adequate because I eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, tofu, low fat cheese, eggs, etc which are not high in calories and are nutrient rich. I don't feel hungry and I haven't felt cold like I always used to when I dieted and went much lower in calories (I didn't know any better at the time). Also if you try some raw desserts they are very satisfying and healthy. It is a very individual thing. I agree with your line of reasoning.
  • kuntinsaigars
    Options
    Dont know what you arguing about , but i always look at "quality of kcal" I wish get maximum benefits of every kcal i intake.And there are healthy and unhealthy food in my opinion.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Most MFP posters don't think that there is any difference between potato chips and spinach. Nothing is good or bad. The other day someone was arguing that deluxe pizza is probably more healthy than baked chicken breast.

As far as weight loss goes, they're right. You can and will lose weight on a calorie deficit, even if all you eat is pizza and ice cream. You can eat a lot more food if it's healthy food, though.

Many people suggest that making junk food 1/5 of your diet is the best plan.

You should ask your doctor.

Than decide what you want.

Who's most? :huh:
    The ones who routinely say that there is no good or bad food. Most threads end up with a majority of people falling into that category. Often, they will actually deny that junk food exists. No such thing.

Deluxe pizza is more healthy than baked chicken breast - that sort of thing.

In for the hyperbole.

Scoot over!

Got my boots on. So I'm ready for it to get piled deep...
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Chips are not bad for you.
    Unless they are Kale chips. They are so sad they hurt my heart.

But kale chips are NATURAL! They're UNPROCESSED! 'cause FREEZE DRIED!
  • kuntinsaigars
    Options
    Yea , only if its home made low fat ice cream :)
  • daniellekunkel1
    Options
    First of all, the title of this post would make more sense if it said, "1,200-but what if you're eating bad food?," because 1.200 calories is not enough calories for a person's body to function efficiently. Secondly, where the hell are you getting your protein if you're trying to completely cut-out meat and dairy products? I know there are other ways to incorporate protein into your diet, but do you? Fruit and veggies aren't going to suffice. Third, your metabolism is going to go to *kitten* if you're not eating enough, and at some point, you're going to reach starvation mode and completely counteract all of your efforts to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. Lastly, I don't know you, and I don't know if my opinion will matter to you at all or why I'm even responding to this post in the first place, except that I'm currently recovering from an eating disorder, and it's some tough *kitten*. You don't want to end up where I did. It's mentally draining as well as physically, obviously. Do yourself a favor and feed your body what it needs. Don't deprive yourself. Consider exercising if you aren't. At least then you won't feel so uncomfortable with having to eat "so much" because FOOD IS FUEL.
  • eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Poor OP just asked a question and the trolls went to war!
    Lol
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Poor OP just asked a question and the trolls went to war!
    Lol

Poor OP just asked a question and you came in here with nothing of value to add to the discussion. LOL

But here's a bizarre gif as a reward for you
    Funny-weird-gif-eye-dancing-sausage.gif