Margarine vs Butter?

Options

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Butter, totally!

Take a stick out of the fridge and put it on your counter (or in a butter keeper). It spreads really nicely at room temperature and if you leave it out, it doesn't go bad very quickly.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Buttah is the bomb. Butter, always butter.

64f7e088aa5eddf716a5bd84e74df26e.jpg
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Just because scientists have been wrong in the past doesn't mean that science should be disregarded. There's quite a bit of evidence weighing against trans fat consumption, and personally I wouldn't dismiss it just because of some anecdotal evidence about some people who are currently healthy yet they have eaten trans fat in the past. I've known unhealthy people that lived well into their 90s and healthy people that didn't make it past 50. Trying to draw conclusions from anecdotal evidence isn't going to get you anywhere, and just because you can be lean while eating lots of trans fats doesn't mean it's healthy to eat lots of trans fats.

I guess there's science and there's science. Dietary studies are often poorly framed and then widely misunderstood.

I guess you'd have to tell me what you think is "healthy" if it can kill a 50 year old.

I should have said seemingly healthy. A friend's father was an avid cyclist, always incredibly lean and active, ate what would be considered by almost everyone to be a healthy diet - and yet died tragically in his early 50's. Meanwhile, my grandfather was overweight, was an alcoholic earlier in his life, used tobacco for decades, had heart attacks earlier in his life, had type 2 diabetes, and yet he lived well into his 90's. If you were to use these two people as anecdotal evidence, we could conclude cycling and staying lean are a lethal combination, while smoking, drinking and being overweight are generally better for your health. Anecdotal evidence simply isn't useful in drawing conclusions about nutrition.

I won't disagree that science is oftentimes misinterpreted and not all studies and experiments are created equal. On the other hand, there really isn't much disagreement at the moment that industrial trans fats are a bad idea for your health, and you saying you can stay lean while eating them really doesn't change that conclusion. Leanness is far from the only issue when it comes to health.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Real butter and fat drippings from meat...XD Margarine is pretty much very processed and FYI, even though some products say 0g trans fat, it is most likely still has some artificial trans fat since the FDA allows products to claim 0g as long as it has less than .5g. Overtime, it does add up especially if these foods are consumed repetitively and in large quantities. Just saying... :p
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Thing is, I'm always being told what healthy is.

Normally by people who have cut something out and want to tell you about it. insert-favourite-diet-fad-here.

But I've been healthy (and I'm still not sure how we're defining that) all my life. I know, you'll dismiss that as anecdote. Perhaps rightly so. But don't be so sure that only knowledge that comes from a book (or a paper) is worthwhile. Sometimes the lived experience is a powerful thing.

And, anyway, my marge doesn't really contain much in the way of trans-fats (so google has reliably informed me.)

I guess I don't (and probably never will) get what all the fuss is about. Calories > Macros > Micros > Train properly. Done. It's not as complicated as people have to make it out to be.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I just like the taste of butter better. I'll eat margerine if that's what's available but butter is my go to choice.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,420 Member
    Options
    As a side note: I grew up eating marg because it was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than butter. Like, 1/4 of the price. I loved it. Moved to the US, from Canada, couldn't find my specific marg in the spreadable tubs, only in sticks, which spread for ****. Bounced around between the American stand-bys of Parkay, country crock, whatever. Never satisfied. Eating real butter in restaurants, didn't like it at first, came to warm to it. Discovered spreadable butter... BOOM! Happy medium for me.

Butter vs marg is not how I got fat, heh.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm way more concerned about the overly processed fake stuff in margarine than any of the fat that's in butter.

THIS!!!!
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    butter - I prefer the taste and texture over margarine and butter is less chemically processed. I've heard that margarine is only one molecule off from plastic
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I only use butter. Margarine smells weird and gives off an aftertaste that I don't really like.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Lard-001.jpg

:smile:
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil because I do not eat dairy.
    However I would choose real butter over margarine because it is less processed.
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    REAL. BUTTER. ALWAYS. :drinker:
    For awhile now I had thought that buying low fat margarine was better and healthier than real butter. I made a switch to using real butter for a month and I've lost weight. I thought the 100 calories from just one tablespoon would kill my calories but not really. I was also talking to my sister who's an RN for 20 years and she told me that she's been using real butter for 15 years.

So my question is... What do you think? What do you use?
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    25hn2gj.jpg

Butter is in my top 5 most frequent foods on here.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Lard-001.jpg

:smile:

I remember my Mum having a lard chip pan when I was a kid and my grandparents using it. Mmm. Lard chips. No-one makes them any more for some reason. I use it for making pastry though.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I never used spreadable fat. I grew up with no butter on toast and sour cream on baked potato so really it was not something I ever considered until very later in life. Not that I dislike or have anything against fat as i eat plenty but my mom always though it was weird to add it on things outside of cooking and it stuck with me.
    I use oil to cook, mostly olive oil. I do have butter at home for cooking (sauce, mash potato, cake, etc...) but it take me so long to go through it I usually store it in the freezer and leave a quarter of it in the fridge that will last me a few months.
  • bloodofareptile
    bloodofareptile Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Butter, 100% all the time, even when baking and recipes call for margarine. I adapt.

I think margarine tastes gross and don't want to eat it!
  • WisteriaLady
    WisteriaLady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use flora light or light olive spread, I just dont like real butter. Only time I use it is for baking. Margarine is NOT one molecule from plastic or paint. If we listened to everything friends, newspapers etc said then living is bad for us!

http://www.heartfoundation.org.nz/healthy-living/healthy-eating/food-for-a-healthy-heart/replace-butter/myth-busting-butter-versus-margarine.
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Butter only, I don't think I have ever had margarine.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Never margarine, only butter. As long as I stay within my calorie range, I'm not concerned with fat at all. So, in moderation, I use butter, coconut oil, olive oil and animal fat (mostly duck fat).