What's on your "No" list?

Options

Replies

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I don't have a NO list. But I do have a "probably not worth it" list.

These include:

Snack cakes
    liquid calories
    boxed dinners
    fast food (the fact that they make me feel lousy these days makes this an easy one)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I've said no to anything with cauliflower cause it's nasty. Oh and avocado YUCK... I've said no to foods i don't like other than that nothing is off limits.
  • mmachell
    mmachell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    White bread, then everything in moderation, and within my calorie limit.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Real ale.

I love it, but it ends up not being worth the calories and once I'm on it I can easily burn my way through 3000 calories for the sake of 6 pints. (I'm a female, honestly!) plus whatever food I decide to eat in the old man pub I've found myself in.

Lager, wine, cider and spirits I can say no to after 2 drinks and factor it into my day or weekend. But show me some stout from a micro-brewery in Yorkshire and I'm anybodys.
  • pinkstrawb
    Options
    I try not to deprive myself of anything but more control how much of it I do eat. Before summer I was getting take away pizza etc. probably once or twice a week, eating full packs of biscuits, big bars of chocolate on a daily basis. I haven't been too strict with myself and have found it's worked out really well for me, I really don't think I could live a life where pizza is just not an option!!!!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I noticed scanning through the answers on this, that those people who have successfully lost a great deal of weight, say they ban almost nothing, but are believers in moderation. There is something to be learned by that fact, I think.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm big on the everything in moderation stance, however, sweets and candies are things I try to avoid as they are just pure sugar and don't really provide any nutrition.
    It's not on my 'no list' but I think I've developed an aversion to McDonalds as well - every time I tell myself I'll go and have one for lunch or whatever, I find myself making a sandwich/roll/pasta before leaving the house instead.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    Only thing I have banned is regular soda , I didn't drink that much,but it does have so many calories for such little gain, so I now drink diet soda whenever I previously would drink regular.
    So, more of a swap than a ban.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    For the most part, the only thing I've given up completely is eating whatever I want, whenever I want.

The one thing I cannot do "in moderation" is mayo. So with that, it's far easier for me to just avoid temptation all together. Funny that I don't even miss it, but I know if I were to give in, I would eat ALL THE MAYO. It's my dietary kryptonite.
  • rebekahstrachan3
    rebekahstrachan3 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    -red meat
    -white starch (potatoes, white rice ect)
    -pasta
    -dairy (milk and cheese)
    -crisps
    -fizzy drinks
    - junk food
    -takeaways
    -all types of bread (makes me feel ill when I eat it)
    -cooking oils
    -alcohol

although I do allow myself some of these things in moderation one or two days a week. you cant avoid them forever or you would have no social life and just become bored of food which would likely make anybody crash on a diet.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Diet coke.

I was addicted to the stuff, drinking about 2litres a day. Swopped it for water. My Crohns has thanked me for it and my flare up is dying down. I will try not to have any more.

Other than that I'll eat whatever I want in moderation (or not depending on calories :-). I find if I ban things, then thats all I can think about and I end up stuffing myself with whatever it was I had banned.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Bacon and steak. They're on my "No" list because I don't like them at all but I used to eat steak sometimes just because it's something that can be eaten. Now I don't touch the stuff. Why would I be spending my calories on things I don't enjoy when I can save them for things I actually like.

Edit: Reading responses I remembered I totally replaced regular soda too. It was a thing I had every once in a while but still, why spend my calories on it when I can drink diet for very little difference in taste?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    My "no" list:

Cherries, peaches, and bivalves - I have food sensitivities to these, and get stomach pains and an itchy throat.

Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts - :sick:
  • soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I ate 1700 calories yesterday entirely from two fast food restaurants (including 32oz of regular soda) and was still 400 calories under my goal. Healthy? No, but my doctor says I'll die from obesity before I'll die from eating relatively low-calorie fast food.

That said, real milkshakes are really hard to work in. I can't stand yogurt. I also don't eat pizza very much anymore, and nachos aren't usually worth the calories.
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Alcohol on "exercise days". My favourite thing in the world is beer - yes, I admit that I would sell my only child for a crate of beer :laugh: My normal mode when coming in from work is to open a beer - if I haven't stopped off for one (or several) on the way home. Since I started this malarky back in January though I have learned to restrict my alcohol intake (my biggest source of calories). And since I know I can still indulge on non-exercise days, I am not exactly a tee-totaller. Working for me - down 18kg since the start of the year, I don't have a fuzzy head most mornings, and I am fitter than I have been since - well, I think fitter than I ever was.
    Haven't cut out anything else, as long as it fits into my "calorie account" and doesn't overdraw it - or at least by TOO much - then it is in there!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I like the "Not Worth It" list from the above poster vs. a "No" list. I have a "no" list because of the way things make me feel rather than to "succeed on my diet."

I have not had any soda for 45 days. It is not good for me and to me it is NOT worth the calories. I don't like "just a little." I have learned to really enjoy the fruity flavored seltzer waters - no artificial sweeteners, no calories, and I get the "fizz"

I have been avoiding many bread products because I suffer from occasional gastric / digestive issues. As an experiment I cut back on most breads and have noticed a great increase in my comfort level and a decrease in emergency bathroom stops and flatulence. So while bread is not on my "No, never list" most of the time it is on my "Not really Worth It" list.

Right now there is a cake in my fridge that the kids brought home. It is annoying the heck out of me. I have allowed myself 2 slices of it, because sugar has always been my favorite treat, but I really wish they would eat it and get it out of here, because I can hear it calling me. Right now, my head is saying "Not worth it, not worth it, not worth it." I hope I can listen to my head because I really don't want to waste all those calories on a stupid piece of cake.
  • soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I like the "Not Worth It" list from the above poster vs. a "No" list. I have a "no" list because of the way things make me feel rather than to "succeed on my diet."

I have not had any soda for 45 days. It is not good for me and to me it is NOT worth the calories. I don't like "just a little." I have learned to really enjoy the fruity flavored seltzer waters - no artificial sweeteners, no calories, and I get the "fizz"

Just curious, what fruity-flavored water has no artificial sweeteners AND no calories? I'm guessing it has a sugar substitute that you don't consider "artificial."
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    There are certain foods we all try to give up completely when starting a new diet. What have you banned (or tried to ban) from your life? Pizza, pasta, soda, and red meat are on mine. Have you had long term success with banning these foods from your diet?

I don't have a "No" list....all foods are welcome in my mouth that I like....
  • RegitzePilshoej
    Options
    Chips and soda ^^ sugarfree soda is ok.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't have a 'no' list. I do have foods that I won't choose as often as others, but nothing is banned outright.