How'd you meet your significant other?

Options

Replies

• JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I quit looking. Decided I was done and wanted to be single and just prove I could do it myself for a while. About two months in to my solo living my childhood hairdresser (I had moved away and no longer went to her) and his childhood hairdresser whom he still sees (they own a salon together now) decided we would be perfect for each other. They'd been working on hooking him up with someone -- he'd just lost 100 pounds and was getting some confidence in dating. He'd never had a girlfriend. Dated a handful of times. My mom said he had "a good job and one of those three wheeled motorcycles you see around town." LOL I agreed to one date if he would bring the Spyder and we could go for a ride (I lived 100 miles away from him.) He agreed. Four years later we are married with a two year old son and an amazing life.

I have come to believe what is meant to be will be. When I stopped looking and no longer feared living on my own - love found me.
  • valkaree
    valkaree Posts: 519
    Options
    She was a bartender at a bar/pool hall when she was just out of college. There was a pool tournament and as soon as I saw her it was love at first site for me. She had a boyfriend for four years. My buddy owned the place so I told him to hire me and schedule me to work with her and that he didn't even have to pay me. Her boyfriend treated her like crap so I showed her how a man treats a lady and after a few months she broke up with her boyfriend and we started dating. 2 months we were engaged and 9 months later we were married. Been 17 years now. We got three kids and she is just as beautiful today as she was 18 years ago.
  • Iceman1591
    Options
    Me and my wife both started work at the same place simultaneously. During the second day of orientation she stole my number off of facebook and started texting me. After another day we went to the movies together and I stayed the night at her place. That was over two years ago and since then we have gotten married, I have taken her son under my wing, and we have had a beautiful daughter of our own. A true "Love at First Sight" story. Our next step in life is to conquer our adulthood responsibilities and lose/maintain our weight.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I love telling this story!

My love and I met 28 years ago, when I was 12 and he was 13, at a roller skating rink. I had the world's biggest crush on him, but he was oblivious and just thought I was being friendly. He wound up "couple skating" with my best friend at the time, which was pretty much the end of my little junior high world. Life went on, surprisingly enough, time passed, things happened, and we both found ourselves single at the same time many years later. This time, it was me who was oblivious. I passed on a date with him because another friend of mine had dated him and said terrible things about him that turned out to have no basis whatsoever in fact. I wound up briefly dating someone else, but we remained friends. One day, a conversation on facebook led to the revelation of that crush from so many years ago, and one thing led to another...and another...and here we are today! It's all been so simple, considering how many false starts we've experienced. :)
  • ShadowFallRising
    ShadowFallRising Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 and my dad was best friends with my husband's parents. We met when we were 9 and 10 (he is almost a year older than me), and started dating when we were 16. We married when I was 19, and he was 20.
  • koosorlose
    koosorlose Posts: 186
    Options
    At a dive bar. :P
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Me and my wife both started work at the same place simultaneously. During the second day of orientation she stole my number off of facebook and started texting me. After another day we went to the movies together and I stayed the night at her place. That was over two years ago and since then we have gotten married, I have taken her son under my wing, and we have had a beautiful daughter of our own. A true "Love at First Sight" story. Our next step in life is to conquer our adulthood responsibilities and lose/maintain our weight.

Man, that's great! Congrats :)

Still living in vain hope of meeting mine.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    wow, a lot of people met in MFP? didn't know it was that common

Yep, it is. I met my ex here!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Currently significantly otherless! Bump for notes on how to meet a SO.

^^This. Or to find one here :wink:
  • AdiabaticPerformance
    AdiabaticPerformance Posts: 170 Member
    Options

was your ex also a traffic cone?
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

was your ex also a traffic cone?

No, which is a big reason why it didn't work out. :tongue:
  • _Lovely77_
    _Lovely77_ Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I was stationed in Alaska and I met a guy at a bar there who was in our unit, I told him I was new to the unit and he had us exchange numbers so that when everyone hangs out he would let me know, later he invited me to one of the barracks rooms across the hall from me and my SO was there, it was his room. This friend apparently wanted more but I only thought of it as platonic, he had a lot of things going on at the time and it was obvious he was only trying to "move on" from his soon to be ex wife. I noticed my SO and the rest is history. I would say that I owe it all to that friend for having us meet, but the reality of it is, is that my SO and I worked in the same hospital right across the hall from one another and we lived on the same floor in the barracks, so we were going to cross paths. Later, I found out my SO already knew about me and was trying to find the nerve to talk to me lol
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I met my babe on Plenty of Fish over two years ago. We got engaged last December. :blushing:
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sadly, my marriage of 32 years is ending.
  • buffalospiritdancer1
    Options
    I met my wife on slimfast.com. We were slimfast buddies. We have been married for 7 years. Best thing that ever happened to me! (Now we are MFP buddies:)
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'll be 30 this year. We met playing an online video game. (Guild Wars 2)
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I met my husband at a keg party in college. I had ended a bad relationship about four months beforehand, I told him I didn't want to date anyone in particular. I never dated another guy.

We have been married for 35 years. :love:
  • bke52
    bke52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Met my husband on Craigslist; was looking for casual sex and fell in love instead--LOL. Happily married six years.
  • dwljazzman
    dwljazzman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I met my wife through a mutual friend we were both the same religion and single and he thought why not.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    She was a bartender at a bar/pool hall when she was just out of college. There was a pool tournament and as soon as I saw her it was love at first site for me. She had a boyfriend for four years. My buddy owned the place so I told him to hire me and schedule me to work with her and that he didn't even have to pay me. Her boyfriend treated her like crap so I showed her how a man treats a lady and after a few months she broke up with her boyfriend and we started dating. 2 months we were engaged and 9 months later we were married. Been 17 years now. We got three kids and she is just as beautiful today as she was 18 years ago.

awwwww i love this one!!