Ice Bucket Challenge, Ribbons, Wrist Bands, etc....

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'll wear a ribbon for you feeling emotionally hijacked.

I'm sorry other people with real problems take away from your desire to complain about nothing.

I love the people who do nothing complaining that others aren't doing enough.

"What a bunch of jerks trying to spread awareness! God!"

I'll admit I've complained about "awareness campaigns" in the past. Because some are so vague that you can't tell if money is being donated and where it's being donated to. That's a scam.

This isn't like that. Donations are pouring in. People are actually being made aware. It's really working.

But some people just need to complain. So they complain that it's a waste of water, or why isn't everyone donating the full amount...

Even $10 is better than the nothing you're doing.

The pink-washing happens around breast cancer is an example of how some companies are "doing it wrong." They'll slap a pink ribbon on their product, rake in millions, but have a low, capped maximum donation.

However, complaining about a profitable 5k or the ice bucket challenge seems to be a waste of time and energy.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    If you're going to donate to a cause, just do it... You don't have to do some silly challenge. A true act of kindness is one where someone doesn't seek recognition.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Also, your contribution is tax deductible.

yes.gif
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If you're going to donate to a cause, just do it... You don't have to do some silly challenge. A true act of kindness is one where someone doesn't seek recognition.

No. A true act of kindness is where somebody is helped.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    If money is donated, I don't care if everyone who donates gets a gold medal. Motivation is irrelevant when the results are positive.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

The point here is to raise awareness... How many people even thought about ALS until the Ice Bucket Challenge? I'm gonna guess not many... One my Assistant directors just retired because of that disease... Even though I wasn't his family and saw things first hand, I do know it sucked for him and his family... I watched him deteriorate over the course of 3 years and I'm sure it's been much worse for him since he has... But I do know this, if I hadn't of witnessed it personally, I too would not have given the disease a second thought.
  • odusgolp
    Options

You're so right. Everything was working just fine before. How dare people challenge others to donate with some act of ridiculousness. I mean... how dare they be so self-serving as to bring awareness to ALS for a few weeks. Such a-holes.

But... wait... "The ALS Association said Monday that it has received $15.6 million in donations since July 29. That’s up from $1.8 million raised during the same time period last year." And, "... ALS Assocation said that 307,598 of the donations it has received in recent weeks have come from people who had never given before."

Interesting, since everything was just fine before.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I personally love seeing the awareness that is being raised and that other causes are doing spin off challenges to also raise awareness. Fabulous!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • likitisplit
    Options

You're so right. Everything was working just fine before. How dare people challenge others to donate with some act of ridiculousness. I mean... how dare they be so self-serving as to bring awareness to ALS for a few weeks. Such a-holes.

But... wait... "The ALS Association said Monday that it has received $15.6 million in donations since July 29. That’s up from $1.8 million raised during the same time period last year." And, "... ALS Assocation said that 307,598 of the donations it has received in recent weeks have come from people who had never given before."

Interesting, since everything was just fine before.

No, no. You see. Only $1.8 million of that money was a "true" act of kindness. The rest of it is self-glorification. I'm not sure how the ALS Association can live with themselves knowing that that money isn't coming from the most selfless possible impulse.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I kinda thought the Ice Bucket Challenge was goofy at first, but it is truly working. I got nominated, I had a bucket of ice water poured over my head, and I donated and I nominated others who have done the same. I could have just donated, but then it would have stopped with me. Also, my niece had a blast pouring ice water over my head. I also saw a person living with ALS do the challenge. Her video was amazing and described living with ALS and how she loved that it was raising awareness and hopefully raising money to move closer to a cure.
  • likitisplit
    Options

But, you might be missing the point. The point is that the challenge is bringing tons of awareness to the disease. Social media is very powerful.

Brilliant!!!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Jerk-GIF.gif

*stomps off*
  • MsBetteDavis
    MsBetteDavis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Watch this commercial -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Q4kIx95aU

Now tell me how much you hate that people are donating to find a cure for ALS.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's slactivism. It makes people feel like they're doing something good for the world and they're really not. I can understand buying things that contribute directly to an organization that you would like to support, I have several HRC stickers on the back of my car right now. But the ice bucket challenge seems like a cop-out. I respect the fact that it brings awareness to the issue, but I think it should be coupled with a donation to the charity not just doing the "challenge."
    I'm sure someone already answered this, but it is supposed to be coupled with a donation. And it's raised a lot of money along with pushing it to the forefront of people's thoughts.

ALS is a HORRIBLE disease. Horrible. Your mind works. You are aware of everything. You can still function mentally as you always did. But you can't move or speak or anything. It's the opposite of Alzheimer's. If a few people pouring ice water over their heads and donating a few dollars helps even a little -- even if it's only the morale of the disease's victims -- I'm thrilled it's happening.

Don't like it? Don't participate or watch others do it. Easy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, this man's opinion means more to me than anyone in this thread on this subject:

http://www.bostern.com/blog/2014/08/15/what-an-als-family-really-thinks-about-the-ice-bucket-challenge/
  • dfurton83
    dfurton83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

But, you might be missing the point. The point is that the challenge is bringing tons of awareness to the disease. Social media is very powerful.

I agree, the whole point is awareness. Do you know how many people don't even know what ALS is or what it does to your body?

I wear awareness ribbons EVERY single day, I had them tattooed on me. I have an awareness ribbon for Non Hodgkins Lymphoma for my boyfriend and one for Colon cancer for both my maternal grandparents. I didn't realize until 5 years ago how many people only knew the pink ribbon for breast cancer, now when people see my lime green ribbon they ask what it is for, many people don't even know what Lymphoma or Non Hodgkins Lymphoma is.

Some may be getting tired of seeing people dumping buckets of ice water on themselves but it is for a good cause especially if people who are challenged donate as well as do the challenge.

Awareness is one step closer to a cure!!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    If you feel emotionally hijacked by the way someone else deals with health issues, then that's on you. I have an aunt who is dying. She is on her last days and if I want to run in a pink shirt to help raise funds for breast cancer, then so be it. Only a fraction of the funds I pay in for that 5k fun run may go to research, but it's not just about that. It's about the way I want to support and remember her.

There is comfort in being around others who know what you are going through when it comes to losing a loved one. If people find joy in dumping ice buckets, wearing ribbons, or doing fun runs, who are you to take that from them? If that isn't how you deal with it, that's ok. Just don't put down the way anyone else grieves or fights for awareness.