How do you handle the urge to snack?

Options
2»

Replies

• cynnder
    cynnder Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i either brush my teeth, or I grab a cup of frazoen blueberries and a cup of greek yogurt and get my snack on!
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I build snacks into my evening schedule, but low cal ones, generally and spaced hourly.

So for example, I might have 100g strawberries at 8, 1/2 cup no fat frozen yogurt at 9 and an ounce of cheddar cheese at 10.

Of course, you have to eat a little lighter in the day to do this, but it does indulge the urge without sending you to the potato chips.
  • RexyAli
    Options
    I sit and feel like a heroin addict
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Awww it will get better
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

lol

Now, keep in mind that I'm laughing because I know exactly what you mean. It will get better, I promise. And, if possible, figuring out exactly what your brain/tastebuds are fiending for and satiate it. Either with a cheat in order to have the actual full item or by challenging yourself to find a lower calorie/healthier way to calm the urge. I always liked the latter, because it not only calms the immediate craving but it gives you an option for future cravings as well.

But stay strong, stay with it, remember your ultimate goal and know that you've always got everyone here for support! :)
  • MstarsElizabeth
    MstarsElizabeth Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I keep low fat nutrigrain bars around, and lots of 100 calorie snacks from the grocery store. I also find myself snacking on reduced fat crackers and low fat cheese.

After 21 days of doing this (not long by any stretch of the imagination) I find I'm not really hungry at all. I usually have calories left over, and I actually think eating small snacks between low-cal meals has been helpful in me staying on track.
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you should chew Spearmint gum, as the taste of Spearmint goes with NOTHING, and helps your cravings go away. Works for me!

Its just gum in general for me!! It really helps or brush my teeth nothing tastes good after that
  • sarahbear119
    sarahbear119 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat veggies or fruit. Very little calories, but can be yummy.
  • WEN575
    WEN575 Posts: 34
    Options
    I once heard Oprah say, that feeling of hunger in your stomach late at night is when your body starts eating the fat!!!! Something to think about before reaching for a snack!!!
  • RexyAli
    Options

lol

Now, keep in mind that I'm laughing because I know exactly what you mean. It will get better, I promise. And, if possible, figuring out exactly what your brain/tastebuds are fiending for and satiate it. Either with a cheat in order to have the actual full item or by challenging yourself to find a lower calorie/healthier way to calm the urge. I always liked the latter, because it not only calms the immediate craving but it gives you an option for future cravings as well.

But stay strong, stay with it, remember your ultimate goal and know that you've always got everyone here for support! :)

I'm ok really hehe, I only feel like that like once a month, every other time I can eat next to nothing and feel happy with that!
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I chomp on a piece of gum. I would like to say chew, but I chomp! I also sometimes have 4 graham crackers with a very thin layer of whipped peanut butter. Yum. Or one of my favs right now is snow peas. (That is usually evening snack watching tv). If I am "starving" I will steam edamame beans and use half salt and suck on those. I am getting the salty that I sometimes crave and protein, so I know I am feeding my body.

I have snacks built into my day, just try to make good choices.

Good luck!
  • lisa_lotte
    Options
    I read somewhere that you should chew Spearmint gum, as the taste of Spearmint goes with NOTHING, and helps your cravings go away. Works for me!

This is what I do too :-) really works :-)

Lisa
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same. Night time snacker, especially after the kids have gone to bed. It is my "alone" time. So, lately I have been grabbing a glass of water and then sitting on the couch for "veg" TV time, during which I will do reps with hand weights. Helps keep my hands out of the cookie jar : ) Good luck. You can do it.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was a baaaaaad snacker before I started MFP, but I now take my mind off it by walking the dog for half an hour at night or play Wii Fit Plus or Wii Sports, so I can get fit in a fun way and at the same time take my mind of my belly! I used to be bad for getting a big tub of Pringles and dipping them in sour cream and chive dip while watching my programmes, which I have stopped doing. But if I do want some, I know 16 pringles = 150 calories. For snacking at work, I have begun taking in berries and chopped peppers, can also do cucumber or carrots and I also have sugar free hard boiled sweets which are just 7 calories per sweet. I am still battling with the snacking thing, it's so hard but I am so determined to fight past it!
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    At night I have a herbal tea a couple of hours after dinner, and then after that brush teeth so that nothing else is tempting! It's just getting out of habits really, it's hard to begin with and then it's just normal.