what to eat if you dont like salad

Options

Replies

• amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My current fav go to meal at this time is mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon and zero cal sugar and just a small amount of butter, grilled chicken breast and a boatload of steamed veggies! So delicious and filling!

But really you can have what you want just in smaller more moderate sized portions. ( I had yummy chocolate cake last night too)

I sometimes use lettuce as a snack....lol only because its better than stuffing my face with kit-kats and reeses cups at work.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

I know when you're trying to get healthy and in great shape the first thing people tell you to do is eat salads and chicken & broccoli all the time. LOL. The easiest way to eat well is to make healthier versions of the things you enjoy and to stay within your macros. If you ate salads most of the time you'd go insane and just completely wild out when you reached your goal. So the best way to determine what to eat is to determine what you enjoy, eat healthier versions of that or as is if it fits your macros, and enjoy things that don't fit in moderation. This way you're getting in shape comfortably without the stress of deprivation and temptation.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Just put stuff on the salad you like, vinegarette dressing, lemon and herb dressing, etc. I am pretty much eating normally but do a salad when I am out for the day to avoid fast food.
  • lindawheeler79
    lindawheeler79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try this. Makes for 2.
    Risotto rice, (arborio), place in a pan of vegetable stock (using a stock cube) made up to 3/4 pt water
    Chop 2 peppers, (you might call them capsicums if in another country)
    Chop 1 large onion
    Chop 6 mushrooms
    Once the risotto rice is boiling, simmer and add pepper and onion, simmer for 8 minutes.
    Stir regularly getting wooden spoon to bottom of pan to stop it sticking (better still, use a non-stick saucepan)
    After 8 minutes add the chopped mushrooms and, say, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, recover with pan lid and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid absorbed.
    Fluff up with fork and serve.
    You can add cooked chicken to this or fish. Healthy, nutritious and not that many calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're wanting something easy with the nutrition of salad, how about some of those steam in the bag veggies? Add some chicken breast. Shake it up and you've got a quick and nutrient dense meal.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love salads, however I can only eat so many. I enjoy homemade miso soup. I put green onions, wakame, udom noodles, shrimp, dashi. It lasts a few days, and is one of those dishes that tastes better a few days after making it. Really soups are one of those things that are great for people that can't hack eating cold/raw veggies. Steaming veggies might be easier to eat without feeling like you are punishing yourself.Seasoning them properly will help a lot too.
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    If you're wanting something easy with the nutrition of salad, how about some of those steam in the bag veggies? Add some chicken breast. Shake it up and you've got a quick and nutrient dense meal.

Great idea!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Great idea!
    Depending on the brand and variety, www.fooducate.com gives them pretty reasonable grades.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What do you eat all the time? So we know and can give alternatives?

This.

I like salad, but certainly don't eat it all the time. I do a lot of roasted vegetables, which I highly recommend. But it's really not possible to suggest more alternatives without knowing more about you and what you eat. But why not, I'll try!

I agree with the person who said that a diet won't work if you try to force yourself to eat foods you don't like. But it's also certainly worth trying to find ways that you like vegetables, if that's the issue.

Thinking about it, my favorite thing about salad is that it's an easy way to get a lunch that's got lots of vegetables and is not largely bread, which for me (not everyone) is often a waste of calories. For that purpose, soup, either with half a sandwich or (my preferences) some protein source on its own (leftover meat, hard boild eggs) or just a really filling soup/stew on its own is a nice alternative. Edit: I see someone above pointed out soup as a good way to get vegetables if you aren't fond of them on their own. That's absolutely right, and it's easy to make.

And really, I know dieters get told that pasta and rice are the enemy (sigh), but a stir fry with lots of vegetables plus some chicken or shrimp or lean beef, or some pasta (a moderate amount, whole wheat if you like it) with a lot of vegetables plus again some protein source, cooked in a bit of olive oil, can be an extremely nutritious and filling (and tasty!) lunch or dinner without many calories. I tend to do about .5-.75 of a serving of the pasta and extra sauce (the vegetables, etc.).
  • ericarenee2005
    Options
    I eat salad sometimes but a lot of the time there are other low calorie ways to get veggies.

I like to make soup homemade sometimes. I always load homemade soup with vegetables. You can find some good recipes easily on google and a lot of times if I make something like that I will post the recipe in my blog. I also just stir fry veggies a lot and add a little protein and rice to them. Other than that it's just about portion I suppose. Have a normal serving of protein, and veggies, and a potato or something. Whatever you like there is usually a healthy alternative. Google can be your friend, also youtube if you are looking for some healthy recipes. Maybe even consider getting a cookbook..whatever is going to fit into your lifestyle. Good luck :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Food you ate before, but now in moderation.

Don't make it complicated!!!!!
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was on salads for months and it worked very well. Yes, you can lose weight without salads... but leafy greens like lettuce are one of the best sources for nearly calorie-free bulk. Saying "eat the same but less" doesn't work well for me... I don't mind being a little hungry, but that's a recipe for a major bandwagon fail.

Now I can't have as much salad. Lettuce has a ton of potassium and I'm restricting potassium due to medication (salads here and there are OK, but not 2 small heads of Romaine a day). There are lettuces with much less potassium but these tend to be less flavorful, more expensive, and less long-lasting. On the plus side... I *can* have more salt - there are a few positives to this medication ;)

I am trying to eat less and mostly failing, but I'm trying. I am planning to move to a shake for lunch (starting this weekend as lunch is booked for this week) and I've had success with "normal" healthy dinners. I just hope I can figure it out as well as I did before 'cause I need to significantly drop my calories.
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yeah I rarely eat salads...

I love low carb/low calorie tortillas and then I use those to make a turkey wrap.

And for dinner sometimes I use the tortilla as a dough and put ragu sauce and then sprinkle shredded cheese and bake it to make my own pizza.
  • babsfit14
    Options
    I enjoy a fresh crispy salad now and then, but couldn't live on them day in and day out. I find the biggest danger in eating salads comes in the dressing, at least for me. I'm fond of creamy dressings, which are loaded with fat and calories and can negate the reason for going "low cal" with a salad. There are loads of nutritious foods you can have instead that won't blow your calorie budget if eaten in moderation. Variety is the spice of life and no eating plan that was very restricted and rigid ever succeeded in the long term.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    hi i am needing idea's for things to eat as i don't like salad
    get fed up of eating the same things all the time
    any tips please
    just food regular food. I had pizza last night that was yummy
  • bex0178
    bex0178 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As everyone has pointed out, you don't have to eat salad to lose weight or be healthy. On a side note, I used to think I didn't like salad. Turns out, I just didn't like the salad my mom always made. Iceberg lettuce, raw green pepper, raw onion, diced tomatoes, ranch dressing. Occasionally Italian dressing to mix it up. Gross. I'm still not a big fan of most raw vegetables (turns out I WAS allergic to those raw onions, Mom. lol) Now I know that salad doesn't have to be bland and gross, I rather enjoy them.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Some of the things I've cooked that are lower in calories and can be found on SparkPeople.com:

Magic crust quiche (just had this for lunch!)
    Baked ziti parmesan
    Chicken and broccoli casserole
    Lowfat cheeseburger pie
    Pasta primavera

I have probably 20 more recipes planned from that site alone. :D
  • karenwf
    karenwf Posts: 2
    Options
    eating salad..you dont need too..as long as your getting your greens through veggies and protein...look up healthy snack ideas...
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If you don't like salad but need veggies,

I put everything but lettuce together on a platter....
    Potatoes tomatoes eggs beans snow peas celery olives etc
    Like a salad nicoise
    Then I make an aioli or a vinaigrette.....

I also roast just about all veggies. A splash of balsamic vinegar helps.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a way to get more vegetables into your body without a lot of extra calories then I suggest soup. Also if you're not accustomed to veggies, then try chopping them very small and putting them in your soups or sauces. When I make chili, I always put cauliflower, carrots, green beans, broccoli and kale in it. but not huge chunks, just very small dice.

Also, when you say you don't like salad, do you mean you don't like ANY salad, or you just don't like garden salad with huge circles of cucumbers and strips of peppers and chunks of tomatoes? I'm not a fan of the garden salad, but there is SO much more than this. I love a cooked veggie salad.. I lightly boil or steam the veggies and then cool and eat with lemon, oil and seasonings.