Physically Unable to Perform: Which exercises, why?

Options

Replies

• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Barbell squats. No real Idea why, but the bar across my shoulders that way is just too much. The pad that that is supposed help with that only puts a funny torque on my shoulders, so dumbbell squats for me. I don't do squats as low as I'm *supposed* to, because my low back and knees ask me not to, but you can't let what you can't do interfere with what you can do, right?
    What about a hack squat? The bar isn't resting on your shoulders and its an explosive movement. I do them right after squats... and I get to do them this afternoon. Or You could do a front barbell squat, at least its more like the same movement but the bar is not on your shoulder.
    When I do flat bench moves, I have to be the jerk who puts their feet on the bench, because I am short, and if I put me feet on the floor I have to arch my back too much.
    We all have different ergonomics.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    After reading all these responses and other interactions with my friends -- I am surprised and flabbergasted -- on the amount wrist injuries. I kinda take my wrist health for granted. This all just speaks to the need to guard my wrist health that much more.
  • Acorrineh
    Acorrineh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 yr old female, ex-volleyball player, new R knee in 2009, working on the L, R shoulder rotator cuff rupture repaired...twice. So, I have learned along the way, if it hurts, back off or you risk damage. Take a step back and do some smaller strengthening moves and STRETCH for a bit, then ease into the exercise with a lighter weight. Only increase when you can do it without pain.

There a tons of physical therapy resources on line to target the areas that are concerning you.

Learn from my mistakes, my friend LOL!!! If you push through and hurt yourself, you are only setting yourself back.

Angie:wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    When I do flat bench moves, I have to be the jerk who puts their feet on the bench, because I am short, and if I put me feet on the floor I have to arch my back too much.

have you tried putting some plates under your feet when you bench? Sometimes when I'm at other gyms- and the bench sits to high- I put out either 5's or 10's to help give me floor traction- I'm a whole body benching- not touching the floor while benching is NOT an option.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Regarding this RICE issue, I think there has been a fair amount of skepticism about icing for a while.
    I once talked with an orthopedic surgeon from UCSF, who was a team physician for the San Francisco Giants. He said that his research group once did a study of applying ice. They found that subcutaneous fat is such a good insulator, that the cold from applying ice never gets through to where the injury is. He said that was the case even in places where you might think the fat is very thin.
    I don't know why icing would delay healing if its effect was not even getting to the area of injury. But, I suppose taken together, both contentions are reason for skepticism.
    My guy said he did not recommend ice. But, like Mirkin, he did like compression. Compression -- which cannot be delayed very long after the injury -- keeps swelling down, which then allows the person to move the injured area better. Movement and gentle use does seem to aid recovery.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to do situps without pain, not just because of poor back muscles but my pelvis is slightly twisted at an able so my tailbone sticks out and hurts like hell when I'm flat on my back on hard surfaces.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Dips, my shoulders are a train wreck, for upright rows I simply use a cable cross over and rope, works great.
  • Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have loose tendons and a bad back so I have modify push ups and make sure I use dumbbells or push up stands when I do them. Burpees and plyo push ups are pretty much out of the picture. Dead lifts are something I have to be really careful about too. I have to stay way light on the weights.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and anything involving arching my spine causes me pain. I stick to spinning classes to avoid public humiliation and embarassment :cry: :angry: :embarassed:
    I have osteo arthritis and a bout just hit me yesterday its in my lower back and on a scale 1-10 10 being the highest its a 20 and i have it right now sitting still it feels a 20. yep. So I envy most of you right now. Just took some pain medicine and will continue organic raw ginger root and seriously considering yoga to strength my spine and back:) but yes on most days the ginger helps with the low chronic pain but this bout has my body on lock down at the moment i am frozen in time embracing this med my hubby got for me from dr.
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a major issue with my right knee that prevents any kind of squats and lunges....any suggestions?
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm not older but ever since breaking my clavicle in football my freshman year of high school, anything that works my shoulders will make the one that broke make all sorts of crackling noises. It doesn't necessarily hurt, but it does give me a weird feeling and is quite bothersome. Also, I have bad knees so squats hurt at certain points but seem to be completely fine when I wear knee braces. I haven't let any of it stop me from making any progress though!!
  • JoRocka
    Options

I don't know why icing would delay healing if its effect was not even getting to the area of injury. But, I suppose taken together, both contentions are reason for skepticism.

because blood heals- and if you are icing you're reducing blood flow.

That being said- I ice inflammations or to keep initial swelling down and I ice when it feels good- and that's recently what I've been told, when I have visited (which was a lot this summer).

If the ice feels good- use it (in moderation)- if heat feels good- use it.
  • bigobelly
    bigobelly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Seated leg extensions, leg curls, left leg calf raises- lower left leg amputation
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

because blood heals- and if you are icing you're reducing blood flow.

That being said- I ice inflammations or to keep initial swelling down and I ice when it feels good- and that's recently what I've been told, when I have visited (which was a lot this summer).

If the ice feels good- use it (in moderation)- if heat feels good- use it.

visited where?

i always thought that RICE was really only recommended in the initial stages of recovery, thats what most of the internet says about back injuries anyway.

i think if the injury involves swelling then it could help. although i agree that its really supposed to slow blood flow and essentially slow down cellular activity. which, at best, will prevent swelling from occuring. i don't see how that will get rid of swelling that is already present.

maybe it constricts blood vessels/tissue so much that its actually a form of compression.

didn't get my tommie copper sleeve. i was thwarted by having to size myself lol.

ice usually feels good to me... but i don't do it that often because it is kind of a pain. in the middle of my forearm injury, i was putting my arm in a cooler of ice and water. big difference between that and an ice pack lol
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I don't have full range of motion in my right knee, so I can't get as low in squats as I would like. Also realized the other day that step ups onto a higher step (about 2 feet tall) with that leg takes a lot of concentration because with my knee starting in that angle I can't get a lot of power to push up.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Due to some horse-back riding injuries, I can't do anything that puts weight on my wrist joint if it's bent a certain way (the position you would normally be in for basic push-ups). It's a bit frustrating since I have to do any plank work or pushup etc on my fists with my wrists straight, not bent.

Have you ever tried using a set of dumbbells when you're doing planks/pushups? It will keep your wrists straight but take some pressure off of your fists. A lady I sometimes see in bootcamp has wrist issues and this is what she does.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time performing in bed, but at the gym I usually manage to do well.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Major issues here with wrist pain, I've had both my wrists broken and dislocated at different points, they didn't heal right apparently and cause a ton of pinching and aching pains when I put too much weight on them with my palms flat. I nearly broke a finger recently too and am having to baby my left hand while it heals. Pushups are tough right now, I have to avoid them mostly.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You might consider looking into these, especially if you enjoy being in the water.

https://aqualogixfitness.com/
  • JoRocka
    Options
    visited where?

i always thought that RICE was really only recommended in the initial stages of recovery, thats what most of the internet says about back injuries anyway.

i think if the injury involves swelling then it could help. although i agree that its really supposed to slow blood flow and essentially slow down cellular activity. which, at best, will prevent swelling from occuring. i don't see how that will get rid of swelling that is already present.

maybe it constricts blood vessels/tissue so much that its actually a form of compression.

didn't get my tommie copper sleeve. i was thwarted by having to size myself lol.

ice usually feels good to me... but i don't do it that often because it is kind of a pain. in the middle of my forearm injury, i was putting my arm in a cooler of ice and water. big difference between that and an ice pack lol

my GP and my sports therapy people and the guys I see for ART.

Yeah- I tend to go to bed with ice packs on body parts- I don't ice like I should- because i'ts a PITA- and the ones I have lose their potency fairly quickly- and they are soft- so I just go to bed with them on whatever aching body part and throw them back in the freezer- not a hassle at all.