How much protein do I need during weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Unhelpful post. Everyone knows some muscle loss is unavoidable, but protein also has a high thermic effect (approximately 30%).
    1g per lb of bodyweight for me and it works well.

You obviously didn't even read it, but it's nice to know at least you were a jerk about it.

1g per lb of bodyweight is unnecessary. But stick to the bro-science if you must.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I'm also vegetarian. May I add that protein is a little overrated and our modern day society consumes way too much of it.... We are brainwashed into thinking protein, protein and more protein equals optimal health - when in reality, they're saturated animal fats ;-( Not good. Anyhoo, surely, I'll get bashed by hey, this is a free place to express your thoughts. Read on below. great article written recently by Rich Roll, an amazing vegan super athlete that breaks the protein myth. It's super interesting! So no need for 1g of protein per pound of lean mass.

My suggestion: read Rich's article. You'll learn a lot about vegan/ vegetarian athletes, how they succeed and how much they really eat. About 10% of their caloric intake of plant based protein, believe it or not. Their pictures and success speaks loads about protein.
    thats a blog... on a plant based website. ill take hard evidence over that all day

also, protein isnt saturated animal fat?
  • BigT555
    Options
    Unhelpful post. Everyone knows some muscle loss is unavoidable, but protein also has a high thermic effect (approximately 30%).

You obviously didn't even read it, but it's nice to know at least you were a jerk about it.

1g per lb of bodyweight is unnecessary. But stick to the bro-science if you must.
    from the article
    This study essentially confirms what body builders have shown us for a long time -- a high protein diet helps prevent muscle loss when trying to lose fat," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "Although eating a well balanced diet is still necessary for health and weight maintenance, upping one's protein intake when dieting might be a useful tool in the short term.
    did you even read it?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

from the article
    This study essentially confirms what body builders have shown us for a long time -- a high protein diet helps prevent muscle loss when trying to lose fat," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "Although eating a well balanced diet is still necessary for health and weight maintenance, upping one's protein intake when dieting might be a useful tool in the short term.
    did you even read it?

+1 Sticking to bro science of people who actually got to the gym and lift weights.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2", vegetarian, 217lbs, and I eat 160+g protein a day, usually more than that. My diary is open to everyone if you want to take a look at what I eat. If you have any questions about how I'm combining stuff for each meal / how I cook stuff, send me a PM.
  • willrun4bagels
    Options
    I'm 6'2", vegetarian, 217lbs, and I eat 160+g protein a day, usually more than that. My diary is open to everyone if you want to take a look at what I eat. If you have any questions about how I'm combining stuff for each meal / how I cook stuff, send me a PM.
    6'2"?????? Wtf. I hate my life.

:flowerforyou:
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Not a bro. Did read the article. Hit the gym? That's for bros my friends. I hit the trails, and lift heavy. No need for gyms.

No need to get to so nasty everyone. Now I remember why I left all these forums in the first place. Urgh... exactly for this reason. backlash.

It was a suggestion. It was a good read... of an amazing athlete that has optimal health.... Obviously, HE along with other vegan athletes are surviving perfectly well without animal protein. Oh, and so am I.

Anyhoo, I can speak t'ill I'm blue in the face but that won't change anything...

So ciao ciao my protein junkies :-)
  • BigT555
    Options
    Not a bro. Did read the article. Hit the gym? That's for bros my friends. I hit the trails, and lift heavy. No need for gyms.

No need to get to so nasty everyone. Now I remember why I left all these forums in the first place. Urgh... exactly for this reason. backlash.

It was a suggestion. It was a good read... of an amazing athlete that has optimal health.... Obviously, HE along with other vegan athletes are surviving perfectly well without animal protein. Oh, and so am I.

Anyhoo, I can speak t'ill I'm blue in the face but that won't change anything...

of course there is going to be backlash when you suggest unsupported things like you did.

how do you lift heavy without a gym?

of course you can be a good athlete without animal protein, its just harder.

and it wasnt a good read. same stuff you hear from vegans all the time, which is fine, but i dont tell you where to get your protein (unless you ask) so dont tell me. incidentally, by the way, the blog you posted made no actual mention of daily protein amounts anywhere, it just made a stance on plant vs. animal protein
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm a vegetarian too and my goal is 120g of protein per day. You should be able to hit that ballpark easily on 2000 cal -- you just need to start prioritizing protein-heavy foods at every meal. I supplement with whey protein, but I also eat a lot of cottage cheese, eggs, greek yogurt, and kefir, and also some soy. Feel free to look through my diary if you'd like :flowerforyou:

Edit: With your calorie goal, you don't need to stick just with egg whites. Eat the whole egg!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

So wait, everyone that hits the gym or lifts weights is a "bro"?

Do you even realize how dumb that sounds.

Hides behind the privacy setting for the profile. You did know the women who go to the gym want to be men.

What can I lift heavy that is not at the gym? Well I can do body weight exercises with people instead of weights.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    As a fellow veggie working on increasing my protein intake, I've found the best thing in terms of low calories and high protein is 0% fat greek yoghurt. The brand I use (Fage-total) has 57cals and 10.3g protein per 100g. I now add it to everything possible - pasta sauces, soups/curries, even mixed it with with some grated cheese and used it instead of cheese(roux)sauce as the topping on a veggie moussaka yesterday - I'm sure this would work in lasagne too.
  • willrun4bagels
    Options

<- Lifts heavy at the gym. Definitely a bro...

Da *kitten*????
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

<- Lifts heavy at the gym. Definitely a bro...

Da *kitten*????

x2
  • yuiconnor
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian also and I don't know how to keep my protein up other than dringking protein shakes and eating protein bar -_-