How to stop boredom eating

Options
When I get bored, I tend to eat. Anyone else have this problem? Any advice? :-)

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Change your habit. Just stop.

Replace whatever you're eating with healthier, low-cal options.

Those are the best options I can think of. :)
  • rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Um... Don't get bored? :wink:

But seriously, try to have some kind of distraction handy. Drink water, go for a walk, surf the web, read a book.... Just stay busy doing something, and then try to use a little will power to ignore the cravings. Not much more you can do really.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Duct tape your mouth shut?:flowerforyou:
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily a boredom eater but I have discovered that when I sit down to read a book I tend to want to snack at the same time...weird I know. I could sit and watch TV and not have the same reaction, it's only when I'm reading. I always have a big glass of water beside me now and if I do reach for a snack it's usually frozen grapes.
  • Sweetgurly35
    Options
    I know, just stop! It's a mental thing that's hard to break. Thanks! I like the walk idea and the water, and obviously, the duct tape!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Get on MFP and talk to people.
  • steveocy1
    steveocy1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have kids! You will no longer have time to be bored.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Um... Don't get bored? :wink:

But seriously, try to have some kind of distraction handy. Drink water, go for a walk, surf the web, read a book.... Just stay busy doing something, and then try to use a little will power to ignore the cravings. Not much more you can do really.
    this. the best options are ones that get you moving though, go for a run, play with your dog/cat/pet, walk to the park ect.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    When you walk around your house, out of boredom, and find yourself in the kitchen, think of what you can clean --not eat--and do it right then and there to busy yourself. I'd say "find a hobby", but I understand that even the busiest of people have moments of boredom, so cleaning has always been my distraction from it.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    1. Recognize the pattern beginning. "Hm.. I should go eat. Am I hungry or am I bored?"
    2. Ask yourself why you want the food.
    3. Decide whether you have the calories left for the food.
    4. Decide if you want to sacrifice calories later (aka, having a smaller dinner, getting a big cardio burn in).
    5. Decide if you want to weigh less or not.
    6. Eat or don't eat accordingly.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm a boredom eater too.

There are a few things you can try: as others have mentioned, try to occupy yourself with something else - exercise or go for a walk, read a book, or find something productive to do. Sometimes if I feel like I want to snack, I go for a drink instead, like iced coffee or tea, carbonated water (la croix, specifically), or the occasional diet soda.

If I still feel like I want to munch on something, I'll find a snack that's relatively low in calories, like fresh vegetables (broccoli/cauliflower, baby carrots), pretzel sticks, popcorn, or some fresh berries or melon. If I'm feeling a twinge of hunger along with the urge to snack, I'll often eat a piece of cheese along with a couple of crackers. And the best way for me to eat just a serving of something is to measure/weigh out the portion that I want while I'm in the kitchen, put the rest of the food away, and go eat in a different room. I'm much more likely to stick to a proper portion if I separate myself from the food and put it away than I would be if I were to eat straight out of the bag or bowl or take it along with me. :smile:
  • tushar05
    tushar05 Posts: 25
    Options
    I also tend to eat when I feel bored. What I do is drink full glass of water, or black tea with no cream/sugar, that helps for a while.
  • Sweetgurly35
    Options
    Awesome ideas, I love it! Thank you!

Feel free to friend me, I could use some motivation help!
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Do something else. In the last few days when I've felt like I might start snacking I've:

-done a quick 20 minute Wii Zumba class
    -done some cleaning!
    -had a nap

Or as other people have said, get a drink. I struggle to force myself to drink plain water (except when exercising) so I'll have a green tea or a sugar free squash drink.

Sometimes you've got to give in and have your treat but you can choose wisely what it is. My current back up waiting in the cupboard is 39 calorie instant hot chocolate sachets. I've also been having low fat fromage frais as a dessert, but instead of having it straight after dinner, I have it an hour or so later when I get bored and want to snack. Having a small drink or snack helps me settle into reading/watching a film, so then when the snack is finished I'm suitably distracted and don't have the urge to get up and get another one.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Go to med school.

You'll never be bored again. Guaranteed.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Read.