Rabid Dog Owners

Options
12346»

Replies

• ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    There's a video on youtube where soldiers come home from being over seas and the dog is usually the first to greet them home.

That's just cause the dog doesn't start with

"glad you're back. You're not going to believe what YOUR kids did while you were away" LOL :bigsmile: :laugh: (i kid.. i kid)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't think theirs anything wrong with loving your pet. Its better than people who mistreat them.

If its really such a big deal why don't you go to your friend's house instead?

I agree with you 100%. There is nothing wrong with loving your pet. I strongly dislike people who mishandle their pets. I am just trying to differentiate between people whose lives consumed by it and their lives are scheduled around their pets and those who have made a choice to take care of a pet.

On the other side of the coin, I do not care for those people that get a pet and then ignore it, because their lives are too chaotic to psend the time and money to treat them properly. That's not fair to the animal.

My life is too chaotic and I travel too much to own and properly care for a dog, so I own a cat. I can take off for a few days without worrying about a cat. Just leave a couple days worth of food out, fill his water jug up and clean his litter box and he's good to go. With a dog, I would have to arrange for someone to watch it in my absence, because if you left it alone with 5 days of food, it would eat it all the first day. Get sick on the carpet. And then starve to death.

Good points, and it sounds like my thoughts on pets are well in line with yours...but I did wanna point out that some cats aren't as low maintenance as yours (which sounds like it fits the norm). My late mother in law wasn't particularly fussy about her cat but she really had to be careful when going out of town because it would starve itself the entire time unless someone was around to feed and care for it. For an already low weight cat, it got pretty sick at times. It would also get pretty bad skin problems (stress related) any time she was gone for more than a day or two.

OTOH, I had a dachshund who was pretty much fine on her own for up to 3 days. I didn't usually leave her alone for more than a day w/o someone to care for her...but she had 2 little food bowls and I'd always fill both bowls every 2 days, even when I was at home...she would eat Bowl 1 on Monday, Bowl 2 on Tuesday... In our absence she used the bathroom on a thick puppy pad/towel in the bathroom...and yep that's pretty gross after about a day, but it worked out nicely in situations when absolutely necessary for her to be alone for more than 24 hrs. However, when we tried to board her for a week she got stress-related skin problems, intestinal distress, and fleas. So that wasn't even an option.

Pets are awesome but they can be a lot of work. Kind of like people...you don't know for certain what you are signing on for ;-)
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    What about people with their pets as their profile pic?

Dorks.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Dorks.

LOL
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I think in southern california waay too many people humanize their dogs and treat them better than their own species. Its a shame . I do not like dogs. I like a clean and quiet house. I do own a betta n hes in a nice white sand 30gallon tank In my living room . I just cannot imagine having pee accidents in my home. I dont even wear shoes in my home so I def. Cannot deal with a dog. Me my husband and our 1 year old son are pretty quiet so I dog that cries when we leave may drive my poor neighbors nuts. We live in a pet friiendly.community n when our lease is up we are moving into a pet free one. People walk by and expect us to move for their mutts. Or they have a desperate look for compliments to their dog lol they have to walk around with dog poop in a bag till they find a trash for it. Ewww . Its disgusting. I just think those people that love their dogs like that are too desperate for love and affection so they get a dog and become a slave to it. Our neighbors dog barks from sun up to sun down and I wont complain . I feel bad that they think its okay to live with that boise . Eww n the smell. People that sleep with them are the worst! The last thing I need in bed is a dog . Ewww watching me have sex ??? Gross !!! California seems more dog friendly than kid friendly. No wonder.....

giphy.gif
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I think some people have the wrong perception of me. I love dogs. Had a beautiful, Irish Stter, Remo, when I was single and could devote the time and effort to. However, as my job began to take up more of my time (late hours and travel) and I married and raised 3 girls, I no longer had the time that owning a pet demands to devote to it's care.

When Remo died, I really wanted another dog, but it is unfair and selfish to own a dog if you can't put the time in.

As for an earlier post from someone that complained about people that bring their children to someone's home and allows them to run wild, well, I agree with that for all the same reasons. My sister used to do the same thing. She was a stay-at-home single mom at the time and felt like when she came over, she deserved to relax and have a couple cocktails while everyone else supervised her children. I kept my mouth shut and watched after them and I'm glad they all grew up to be great adults, but my personal opinion is, if you can't be 100% responsible for your children, keep your legs crossed.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    My perception of you comes from all the funky threads you like to post. Other than that,
    BiBEs6eIMAAuKz8.jpg:medium
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well, my dog saved my life.

Did he jump into water while I was drowning? Pull me out of a fire? Jump on a bomb?

No, no, but he did teach me how to love, not only others, but myself. Cooper came to me and had been abandoned and abused. He was terrified of everything, and almost everyone. I had to reintroduce him to the world and let him know that it wasn't so bad, that actually, in fact, it could be quite awesome!

What I didn't know was that while I was teaching him about love and trust and happiness, he was doing the same for me. Caring for him and helping him trust again helped break down walls I had built over the years, and helped me deal with the depression that had been plaguing me for years that I did not want or know how to face.

He also got me moving again. See, I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, and when I was diagnosed at 21, when my body was basically attacking itself and making it impossible to live a normal life, I slowly started to give up and continued giving up for years after that. I stopped doing things I loved. Cooper reintroduced me to my love of the outdoors, mostly because I *had* to walk him. He started this whole weight loss, healthy life thing.

Funny, here, I thought I was saving him and damned if he didn't actually save me.

So, yes, I consider him before I take vacations or go out for the day. Really, when you think about it, it's the least I can do.

Don't make me cry at work! :cry:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

Did he jump into water while I was drowning? Pull me out of a fire? Jump on a bomb?

No, no, but he did teach me how to love, not only others, but myself. Cooper came to me and had been abandoned and abused. He was terrified of everything, and almost everyone. I had to reintroduce him to the world and let him know that it wasn't so bad, that actually, in fact, it could be quite awesome!

What I didn't know was that while I was teaching him about love and trust and happiness, he was doing the same for me. Caring for him and helping him trust again helped break down walls I had built over the years, and helped me deal with the depression that had been plaguing me for years that I did not want or know how to face.

He also got me moving again. See, I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, and when I was diagnosed at 21, when my body was basically attacking itself and making it impossible to live a normal life, I slowly started to give up and continued giving up for years after that. I stopped doing things I loved. Cooper reintroduced me to my love of the outdoors, mostly because I *had* to walk him. He started this whole weight loss, healthy life thing.

Funny, here, I thought I was saving him and damned if he didn't actually save me.

So, yes, I consider him before I take vacations or go out for the day. Really, when you think about it, it's the least I can do.

Me too! MFP post of the day.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options

Dorks.

Yeah, what's wrong with those people?! :wink:
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Dorks.

Yeah, what's wrong with those people?! :wink:

They're all barking mad
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

Me too! MFP post of the day.

In true form, I'm a bit late in replying...

First, no crying! My story has a happy ending! So you only cry if they are happy tears!

Second, :flowerforyou: .
  • Flollycom
    Options
    I have 3 Akitas and I think my dogs are a LOT nicer than a lot of people! *humph*
    http://flolly.com/akita/