Sugar is the new "Devil"

Options
Sugar is the new “Devil” – by Caryn MacDonald

According to an article I recently read online http://www.fin24.com/Economy/First-sin-tax-and-now-sweet-tax-20140821 sugar is the new evil and the government is proposing introducing “sin tax” on sweetened drinks.

Now let me be quite honest and upfront right here and now...... I am a sinner..... and by that I mean I drink beer and smoke cigarettes. These items are already taxed to death and for good reason. However, I am probably healthier than most 5’4” 45-year-old women in South Africa.

I lift heavy weights three times a week, run and cross train another three times a week, as well as watch my daily calorie intake. So sometimes, I’ve earned a sugary drink at the end of the day. So much for all my “Hail Mary’s” in the gym in an effort to pay penance for my other sins, I’m now going to be taxed on my little end of the day “reward” too.

What I don’t understand about targeting sweetened drinks on which to impose a sin tax is this:

Yes, in excess, sweetened drinks are evil however, some people suffer from conditions that require them to take in a sugary drink at times. The fact is; anything taken in excess could have an adverse affect on our health.

Why don’t we all put this theory to the test. Let’s all eat just lettuce and drink just water in abundance for a month. At the end of the month, let’s compare our health with those who did some form of daily exercise, ate all sorts of things in moderation and had a sweet soda every now and then. Based on the results I am almost certain the government would need to consider a sin tax on lettuce too!

Oh and why just stop at sin taxing lettuce and sweetened drinks – what about chocolates, candy, cake, animal fat, white rice, white pasta, margarine, potato crisps, salt, mielie meal..... the list is endless! The fact is that any one of these things in excess will have some sort of contribution to obesity (or in the case of lettuce – malnutrition) in our South African society. So why then is it just sweetened drinks that are the target?

Being a health-nut myself (with the exception of my two little sins) I would love to see the supermarket shelves rid of all things that are bad for me. It would definitely make shopping quicker and easier as I would not have to spend ages reading every food label before I decided to purchase something. I could just grab this and that and be out of there comforted in the knowledge that whatever is stocked on the shelves is okay for me because the government said so. Oh! And I won’t be paying “sin tax” on my everyday purchases. And if my health did suffer for some or other reason, I could blame the government.

Instead of government trying to raise money in the form of sin tax on sweetened drinks, why don’t they just go all out and tax overweight people on the excess calories they eat every day. It can be called “fat-tax”. And if you want more food, then you have to exercise to earn it! But be careful, when you’ve earned your end of the day sweetened drink as a reward.... you just might be taxed on it.

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    as the government becomes more and more involved in the health care sector...
    They will have to resort to things like this to raise money and "control" costs.

So it doesn't matter at this point, I think we are all screwed.

And I hate the idea of "sin" taxes....especially since sometimes I want those foods....and I am able to control my intake and weight.

Our tax system is so corrupted....there should never ever be "sin" taxes
    You set up taxes to pay for the government you need or desire.
    Not to punish people.

Get gov. out of healthcare and let ppl pay higher insurance rates for poor choices and habits.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Now let me be quite honest and upfront right here and now...... I am a sinner..... and by that I mean I drink beer and smoke cigarettes. These items are already taxed to death and for good reason. However, I am probably healthier than most 5’4” 45-year-old women in South Africa.

For now you might be. I eat sugar. I drink the occasional beer. But to say you are healthy while smoking cigarettes is ridiculous. I quit 2.7 years ago. That was the best thing I ever did for my health. I live with someone who was very healthy - until the day he developed COPD and wasn't anymore. At any point in the future, I could still develop COPD, lung cancer, or any number of diseases related to smoking. I have mitigated my risk - the best I can do.

Didn't mean to hijack your post. I just feel pretty strongly about this now. The person I love the most is slowing losing his ability to breathe. It's scary, it's heartbreaking.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    And thus another good reason against socialized medicine...

If you wish to smoke, go ahead.
    But I don't want to pay for your bad habits and choices
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options

For now you might be. I eat sugar. I drink the occasional beer. But to say you are healthy while smoking cigarettes is ridiculous. I quit 2.7 years ago. That was the best thing I ever did for my health. I live with someone who was very healthy - until the day he developed COPD and wasn't anymore. At any point in the future, I could still develop COPD, lung cancer, or any number of diseases related to smoking. I have mitigated my risk - the best I can do.

Didn't mean to hijack your post. I just feel pretty strongly about this now. The person I love the most is slowing losing his ability to breathe. It's scary, it's heartbreaking.

I'm absolutely not advocating that smoking is healthy - don't get me wrong. The intention of this article is to highlight the ridiculousness of imposing a sin-tax on sweetened drinks.

There was a study conducted a while ago (I'll have to try and locate it) wherein it was suggested that women who smoke and exercise regularly have a higher life expectancy than their peers who don't smoke and don't exercise at all.

Still - one of the reasons I am on MFP is to get to a weight where I am comfortable to take the plunge and kick the habit.

Thanks for your concern and thoughts. :wink:

ETA: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/08/03/obesity-surpasses-smoking.aspx
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Sugary drinks are not a necessity, similar to alcohol and tobacco. They are luxury items. Candy is also a luxury item. I could see a day where more things are taxed as such. It's not going to stop anyone because it's pennies on the dollar. It's a non-issue.

So just tax it then???
    That is fine??

Who determines what a luxury item is?

I disagree....the tax code should not be used to punish people.
    The tax code should be used as it is intended. To pay for the government and services we as citizens desire/vote for.
    Not to go out and extract money from certain groups of people....
    Or to have a small group of people determine what should and should not be taxed....and also how big of a lobbying group there is for or against said taxes.
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    Obesity kills as many people as smoking does. However, there are more obese people in the world than smokers - especially in South Africa.

True, I am at risk because I smoke, but I can tell you right off the bat that I am a LOT healthier than a lot of women I know who are my age who are obese and don't smoke. For now.....

Please be assured - I do want to quit, I do.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Wild eyed, gun-toting, tea party, flag waving Jeebus lovers... step to the right.

Weepy, left wing commie 'murica-hating sissy government sheep... to the left.

Get it on!!
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I will put in a plug for a sin tax on sugar and processed sugar comes from the devil. This is exactly how a sin tax should be applied.

I support a health care system for the elderly in the United States called Medicare. Basically, Uncle Sam takes a portion of my wages every day to support this health care system. One of the burdens on this system comes from people who are obese. As someone mentioned above obesity kills. However, before you die obesity can make you pretty sick. I am paying for that health care.

Processed sugar is basically empty calories. Adding processed sugar to food makes the food taste better at a significant cost to the health of Americans. I pay for that health care with my taxes. If increasing the cost of processed sugar makes it more expensive, most people will eat less processed sugar. The health on seniors may improve which will save me money in the long run.

I'm for it.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I will put in a plug for a sin tax on sugar and processed sugar comes from the devil. This is exactly how a sin tax should be applied.

I support a health care system for the elderly in the United States called Medicare. Basically, Uncle Sam takes a portion of my wages every day to support this health care system. One of the burdens on this system comes from people who are obese. As someone mentioned above obesity kills. However, before you die obesity can make you pretty sick. I am paying for that health care.

Processed sugar is basically empty calories. Adding processed sugar to food makes the food taste better at a significant cost to the health of Americans. I pay for that health care with my taxes. If increasing the cost of eathing processed sugar goes up, most people will eat less processed sugar. There health may improve which will save me money in the long run.

I'm for it.

because increased taxes on cigs and alcohol have resulted in discouraging people from doing it....:huh: :huh:

That my friend is the definition of insanity.....just sayin.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

because increased taxes on cigs and alcohol have resulted in discouraging people from doing it....:huh: :huh:

[/quote]

U.S-Youth-Smoking-Prevalence-vs-Cigarette-Pack-Price-1991-2011-528x354.jpeg

U.S-cigarette-prices-vs-Consumption-1970-2007.jpeg
    Crazy.

Edit for smaller graphic.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    One of the burdens on this system comes from people who are obese. As someone mentioned above obesity kills. However, before you die obesity can make you pretty sick. I am paying for that health care.
    So do old people. Should we kill everyone over 50 so that their imminent sicknesses don't affect your wallet?
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    One of the burdens on this system comes from people who are obese. As someone mentioned above obesity kills. However, before you die obesity can make you pretty sick. I am paying for that health care.
    So do old people. Should we kill everyone over 50 so that their imminent sicknesses don't affect your wallet?

No...only the fat old ones who smoke...... just kidding!
  • MityMax96
    Options

U.S-Youth-Smoking-Prevalence-vs-Cigarette-Pack-Price-1991-2011-528x354.jpeg
    Crazy.

Edit for smaller graphic.

But are we certain the drop in use is a result of prices??
    Or is it more the fact that education of what they do to you is more prevalent?
    or the fact that media and movies don't emphasize it?

Because over that same time period, there has been more demonetization of smokers...
    There has been less of it seen in movies
    I mean how many commercials do you see during the day of the results of smoking and young people??

So yeah that is a great graph you posted and it shows a correlation, but I don't think it is the big reason for the drop.

I still see plenty of young people walking around smoking....
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ahhhhhh.... I'm 53. Therefore, I recommend NOT killing the old people. I also recommend that the old and fat be given a chance to get to a better level of fitness. Oh, and old and fat people who are getting to a better level of fitness should get dark chocolate as a reward.

I think I mostly slept through economics, however, I do remember seeing something about increases in prices generally bringing down demand.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

Processed sugar is basically empty calories. Adding processed sugar to food makes the food taste better at a significant cost to the health of Americans. I pay for that health care with my taxes. If increasing the cost of eathing processed sugar goes up, most people will eat less processed sugar. There health may improve which will save me money in the long run.

I'm for it.

it has, i know that price is the reason for alot of my friends quitting. that being said a pack of cigs in canada is pushing 10 bucks or more.. adds up pretty fast
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Same problem out here in the US. Sin taxes on everything.
    I believe if something is legal, then let it be legal. Don't tax it more because someone in the government has decided its a poor choice for its citizens. Instead, give tax breaks to marketing companies who have a positive message Let the people decide what is right for their bodies.
    Of course, that way doesn't bring as much income as the former way. Makes you wonder what the government's REAL intentions are....
  • shapelyJ
    shapelyJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Joining the "Weepy, left wing commie 'murica-hating sissy government sheep " in the pro "sin" taxes corner.

Where I'm from (not 'merica) the taxes are pretty darn high, on most thing actually, but the benefits are substantial. We have FREE health care and free education for everyone so there is nothing stopping anyone from getting the help they need or the education they desire. Just sayin
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Yes...increased prices can curb demand.....
    But let market forces dictate that, not government putting its thumb on the scales.

Again, TAX CODES should not be used to punish people or to tilt the scales in ones favor and against anothers.....

Always confounds me how left leaning people get all bent out of shape when those on the right want to "legislate morality"....
    But then turn around and do the same thing, by wanting to legislate peoples habits or behaviors when it is something they don't agree with.

Let the market decide.
    Let people pay higher costs for the bad choices they make....

I do it when I decide I want to spend my money on cable TV, or internet, or cell phone....
    Or if I prefer to have bison steak vs chicken breast one night.....

I weigh the cost and then make a decision on if I wish to spend my money there or not.....
    I don't need the government coming in and tell me(force me) where to spend my money.

I am not fat
    I am able to control my eating
    So when I want to have one of these "sin" foods, I don't want to be taxed for it.