When will my period come back?

Options

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    BF% at a minimum needs to be 10% for a women to have her period. This is a bare minimum number and isn't enough for some. Like another poster wrote, 16-17% is considered a low body fat percentage for a woman. At 5'4" and 112, I'd guess your at a BF% too low to sustain your menses.

Your body is telling you something. Add the calories back slowly and steadily (50 cals/week isn't quite enough, but do it at your pace...no criticism here) until you get to the healthy percentage and things should return to normal. Iron levels, of course, are important also. The weight lifting (if you were doing this) would help to regulate the iron levels. This is not the solution solely, but more like a symbiotic relationship with the foods you're eating (eating a good amount of iron in diet will help sustain it when you're lifting/working out regularly).

Although you may or may not have an ED, maybe you could benefit from the info that is on the MFP forums about it? It's a thought. Good luck with your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • aurorareigns
    Options
    I really didn't want to get into it further, but it also serves by way of explanation my original interest in the topic. So, what the heck?

I am married to a woman who becomes irregular when she's working out intensely. (My original interest, but not germane.)

I also know two woman (a family member and a friend) who've become pregnant (less than optimum circumstances) and did a good job of denying that fact to themselves for a bit.

Throw in the fact that the OP didn't not volunteer "I know I'm not pregnant." when it's a basic possibility that someone might immediately check and mention to forestall questioning along those lines. Maybe it's an oversight, maybe her head just isn't in that place, regardless it's an undisclosed possibility.

I don't think my point is unreasonable.

It's not unreasonable.

However when a women loses her period, her first thought usually is 'pregnant?' unless of course she hasn't been having sex. Since OP didn't mention anything about thinking about being pregnant, I think most of us (or at least I) just assumed it wasn't an issue.

Also most 19yos do not avoid the question of whether they are pregnant or not because that could end up being a problem in their life. As for denying if someone is pregnant, that's their right. If someone isn't ready to have a baby or it was nonconsensual sex, then maybe they aren't ready to deal with the facts yet, and that's okay. Goodness knows denial is sometimes the only thing that saves a person in some circumstances.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Please see a mental health professional who specializes in treating people with eating disorders. Your period will likely come back but, it's important for you to get the psychological help you need. Just eating more is a temporary fix because the underlying issue will likely cause you to under-eat again in the future.
  • Taeyonnie
    Options
    it happens if you lose so much weight in a short amount of time. It also happened to me once but then I started eating back like before (maybe I increased to 1400-1500 calories a day) and rested my body without doing exercise for 2days. After a month, it came back (period).

Don't push yourself too much. It is good if you lose weight but not in a short amount of time or if you cut your calories intake so suddenly.

Don't be stressed! It also slows your period.

I also had same situation as you. Anyway, do as I suggested and you will get urs back. :)
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You should have your thyroid level checked. If they are off it might be causing this. My period has been lighter and shorter since losing 70 pounds in 7 months so I am sure weight loss can cause it.
  • Rien5
    Rien5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem you are having with missing my period for over a year. slowly increased my calories over four months until I gained a bit more fat arround 20-22% Keep doing what you are doing and it will come back.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Amenorrhea is never a good thing. I see that you said you "think you will see a doctor soon," but I urge you to pick up the phone right now, when you see this, and make an appointment.
  • DAVIDTALIAFERRO
    Options
    Generally after the baby's born;
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    i lost mine about 2-3 months ago. I hear it comes back 1 year after weight loss.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I wasn't trying to be cagey, just circumspect. I'm probably one of the least qualified to comment, but I felt there was a big hole in the conversation.

Carry on.

By NO means am I trying to be a smartass, and I mean that, but I would say that would've been the first thing she eliminated (either because it didn't apply to her- not sexually active, and or preventing and tested anyway/negative result) right off the bat. I had the exact OPPOSITE problem of her when my periods stopped. I was obese and mine stopped due to PCOS (only I was NOT diagnosed at the time). I took something like 20 pregnancy tests over three months. All negative. It was beyond me why I wasn't having a monthly cycle. In the OP's case, she realizes that she *is* making progress, but does need to be upping her daily caloric intake, that she's most likely not consuming enough food for her cycle to return, and the best thing to do is talk to her doctor and nutritionist on how to correct this.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I skipped a few pages, but severe calorie deficits can cause amenorhhea, which is a cessation of periods. It's your body's way of protecting itself from starving.

Go see a doctor...and eat more.

Read up on it! http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/amenorrhea/basics/causes/con-20031561
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    This isnt the site for personal period stuff.

You need to shut up. This forum is the exact place, where people can share various problems/situations and seek support.
  • erinlikesfood
    erinlikesfood Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share that after 3 years, 8 months without a period, I got one today :)

I'm not sure what exactly did it for me, other than being at a higher weight than I was when I lost my period. I'm also 5'4'', and I lost my period when I went below 102 pounds. I have absolutely no idea how much I weigh now (I haven't stepped on a scale since January), but I would estimate somewhere between 110 and 120. During June and July I had got back into the habit of restricting calories and definitely lost a little weight, so when I had a stress fracture scare at the end of July I decided to bring my calories up. I ate at least 2000 calories a day, most days closer to 2500, and did almost no exercise aside from walking about 2 miles everyday (to and from work). This was pretty different from eating 1600-1800 calories and running 30-40 miles a week. I also got acupuncture for "menstrual irregularity," but I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I also don't know if it will stick around, but I was just so excited when I got it a few hours ago that I had to share.

So my best advice is to eat more - a lot more. You can't be worried about your weight; prioritize your health at this point, because believe me, you don't want to be 3+ years into amenorrhea and terrified about your deteriorating bone mass that you'll probably never rebuild.
  • tyhollin
    Options
    Your period will come back approximately 6 weeks after the baby is born. ;)
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Your period will come back approximately 6 weeks after the baby is born. ;)

Don't be an *kitten*.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    In my mid-20's I lost a significant amount of weight in a not-so-healthy way, much the same way you have described. I lost a lot of hair, my fingernails were terrible and my period stopped. I didn't have a period for close to a year. While I looked great, my health was terrible. That was a terrible thing to do to my body. I eventually exhausted myself and burned myself out, fell off the wagon and ended up gaining back more than twice what I lost. Fortunately, I've had more sense this time and taken it much more slowly and sensibly and am so much more healthy and happy for it!

Please go see a doctor and also work with a nutritionist/dietitian to determine a HEALTHY eating plan for you. What you describe is not healthy or sustainable and you are damaging your body.
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This isnt the site for personal period stuff.

This site is for personal stuff like this if it relates to weight loss. Ignore people like this.
  • Isobelle40
    Options
    Hi,

When your periods stop during weight loss, it means that your body is prioritizing and using the small amount of energy it receives for important functions such as heart.lung function etc. Reproduction is further down the line.

Obviously this is a sign that you are definitely not getting enough sustenance and you really need to increase you calorie intake back to normal - around 1800 - 2000 calories. Another indication that periods will stop is when your BMI gets below 18.5.

If you get back to normal eating for a while, providing there is not any other medical condition (not related to weight loss) that is preventing menstruation, your periods should return to normal. Don't be afraid to increase you calorie intake to the amount your body requires or at least above 1700 calories per day. You won't put on any weight, you will just be providing your body with the energy it needs to function properly and entirely. If you need any more advice, just ask - I am a clinical nutritionist.

I wish you all the best.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hi,

When your periods stop during weight loss, it means that your body is prioritizing and using the small amount of energy it receives for important functions such as heart.lung function etc. Reproduction is further down the line.

Obviously this is a sign that you are definitely not getting enough sustenance and you really need to increase you calorie intake back to normal - around 1800 - 2000 calories. Another indication that periods will stop is when your BMI gets below 18.5.

If you get back to normal eating for a while, providing there is not any other medical condition (not related to weight loss) that is preventing menstruation, your periods should return to normal. Don't be afraid to increase you calorie intake to the amount your body requires or at least above 1700 calories per day. You won't put on any weight, you will just be providing your body with the energy it needs to function properly and entirely. If you need any more advice, just ask - I am a clinical nutritionist.

I wish you all the best.

can I add you to my list of friends?
  • shortt123
    shortt123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Several years ago I had anorexia, it was extreme. I stopped getting my period, and now 8 years (plus) later I still don't menstruate. Some months I have all the symptoms, including discharge, however i still don't have my period back.

My diet is good, and I'm at a healthy bmi. I finally decided to got the medication to bring on my period (suggested by my doctor) and I have to take it 4x a year.

The human body is so resilient--to a point, and something's just don't repair. sounds like in your case your menstrual cycle will return to normal in awhile, just be sure to listen and be good to your body.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)