Finding bra size after weight loss

Options

Replies

• codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    VS does have inflated sizes but if it fits well does it matter what they say your size is

Every brand is slightly different just like shirts and jeans.

I'm not ready for VS bc I love my lane bryant ones but I won't fit into their sizes soon I'm Down. To a 36D and 36 band s the lowest they go

A great fitting bra is amazing.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at everyone saying they got bad fittings at VS. I was shocked to find out I've probably been wearing the wrong size for years. I am a 36D and had been cramming into a 36C. I always thought "D" meant "giant boobs" but it really doesn't. 36D is the same cup size as 38C and 34DD. It's just your band to breast tissue ratio. I have never had a better fitting bra in my life.

OP if VS measured you at 34C, did you actually try on a bra that size or did you just say "that sounds wrong" and call yourself an A?

VS doesn't even carry sizes under 32, or cup sizes over DD, I believe. So they can't measure people properly, because they don't carry everyone's bra size. I don't think they have their sales people saying "You're a 30FF, go next door to Nordstrom, we don't carry that size."

Okay, well they measured me properly, and changed my life pretty much. I always thought I had weird shaped boobs because I never had a bra that fit me, I was just wearing the wrong size because "no way, my boobs aren't that big..." so I never tried anything above a C. Some people are a larger size than they carry but that doesn't mean that they are automatically trying to swindle everyone.

ETA: And people are saying "VS has inflated sizes" I had to completely replace all my bras and have bought new ones from lots of stores, they were not wrong. But it's not worth arguing. Something like 80% of women are wearing the wrong size.
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The Macy's in our area has a "professional" bra fitter there most of the time. I went there after I had lost weight. She not only measured me but she went and picked out several styles for me to try. I get a little overwhelmed trying to find a good bra so
    this was really helpful. You can also try on some with padding and without and see what you like the best. Good Luck!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at everyone saying they got bad fittings at VS. I was shocked to find out I've probably been wearing the wrong size for years. I am a 36D and had been cramming into a 36C. I always thought "D" meant "giant boobs" but it really doesn't. 36D is the same cup size as 38C and 34DD. It's just your band to breast tissue ratio. I have never had a better fitting bra in my life.

OP if VS measured you at 34C, did you actually try on a bra that size or did you just say "that sounds wrong" and call yourself an A?

VS doesn't even carry sizes under 32, or cup sizes over DD, I believe. So they can't measure people properly, because they don't carry everyone's bra size. I don't think they have their sales people saying "You're a 30FF, go next door to Nordstrom, we don't carry that size."

In addition to that, they measure you with a bra on. It's next to impossible to get the right size that way. Some people may get lucky and deal with someone who actually knows what they are talking about but most of them are just going to sell you what they can and move on.
  • dinobunni
    Options
    Yeah...Victoria's Secret told me I was a 34 C. Maybe another place.

That's your size in their bras. Stores size their merchandise differently to help sell. I'd just get sized at the store I want to buy my bras at. If you're shopping at Walmart or Target or another general store, I'd take a couple different sizes and try them on in the dressing rooms until I found one that I liked.
  • dinobunni
    Options
    VS does have inflated sizes but if it fits well does it matter what they say your size is

I'm not ready for VS bc I love my lane bryant ones but I won't fit into their sizes soon I'm Down. To a 36D and 36 band s the lowest they go

Do you mean Lane Bryant doesn't have smaller band sizes? I hope that's not true because I love their bras lol. However if you need to find bras for bigger chests with smaller bands, I'd try Fredrick's of Hollywood. I love their bras too. They're more sexy.

However their sizes run small like at Victoria Secret and their biggest is the F which is more like a DDD.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure which category to put this under.

I've lost 15ish pounds. I've always had a small chest even at 160+, a 34B. Now I've gotten so small up top I'm like...boney. My 34B bras definitely don't fit.

So I'm measuring 34 for band size (across the back and under arms) and 35 for bust size (widest part of my bust...sad).

Most sites say 34 is my band size and since there is a 1 inch difference between the two measurements, I will be 34 A.

Here's the thing, when I try 34 A's on they just look too small for my frame. Like around my armpit/under arm kind of area is sticking out of the bra too much.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to get an accurate bra measurement? From my research this seems to be the most standard. Also, does anyone else have these measurements but prefer/have found another size to suit you better?

Thanks!

Buy the 34A and also an extender. It will make your world perfect.

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/euro-bra-extender-0015-222--24?gclid=CMi83K2ZpcACFUNgMgodmHAAtA
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    This video is worth watching: http://hidden-pinetrails.tumblr.com/post/95062275394/this-video-is-so-so-important-i-saw-it-a-few

It goes over more than just band sizing, but how and where a bra should sit on your body etc
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Try this place:
    http://myintimacy.com/

I've been wanting to lose weight before I go here, but this is all they do. You have to get an appointment and they work with you that whole time to get you fitted properly. I've heard some good things, but I have not gone myself yet.

And the bras look pretty.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Do you mean Lane Bryant doesn't have smaller band sizes? I hope that's not true because I love their bras lol. However if you need to find bras for bigger chests with smaller bands, I'd try Fredrick's of Hollywood. I love their bras too. They're more sexy.

However their sizes run small like at Victoria Secret and their biggest is the F which is more like a DDD.

Technically a DDD and an F are the same size in US sizing.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    -1 :(
  • nlbez
    nlbez Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are a 32b then if the 32 is snug to start remember they do give a bit once you wear them. Trial and error i hate bra shopping x
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh, good, I need this thread.

I went to get "properly measured" at VS a long time ago and it was a total waste of time. I asked to be measured and the sales lady acted like I asked her to check me for lice or something. I got a huff and a "Well, what size are you wearing?" Really? You think I'd put myself through contact with a stranger if the size I was wearing was right? She finally measured me, over my clothes and very padded pushup and waved me over to the sale rack, where nothing in the size she mentioned fit. I've been guessing ever since.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Oke, curious, why do they tell you to measure above the breast under the arm for your band size?,...that's not where it goes.
    I've seen this on several sites.

To me it looks pretty standard! Almost every site I've seen measures that way.

This is so frustrating. I've been putting it off and wear little lace bras in a size small or...no bra. Or wearing a bra too big because my size medium dresses are too big and I need something to fill it out. :(

This site doesn't.

http://bustyresources.wikia.com/wiki/How-to_determine_bra_size

It really is great. Lane Bryant said I was a 38DD. This said I am a 38G....this one was right.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think anyone place is necessarily trying to swindle us. I think they are, for the most part, just as confused with all of the women's sizing issues as we are!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    go get measured?
  • merfhur
    merfhur Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    www.reddit.com/r/abrathatfits

they have a bra size calculator where you take 3/4 measurements (I can't remember which) you put them into the calculator and it tells you your bra size.
    I went from a 34DD to a 32DD and all my bras are a perfect fit!
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Oh yeah...a 34 C looks ridiculous. I tried it. I DID tried some 32C's, some 34 A's, 36 A...Haven't found it yet.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Macy's will measure you. They are usually pretty accurate.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Not a bad idea. Then I'd have a wide variety of prices to choose from. You really have to be in the mood to go to Macy's when you live in NYC though.