Calling all runners!

Options
2»

Replies

• mudtea
    mudtea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest getting out to run/walk the actual course you'll be on at least once before the event. This will be helpful for you to know what pace you need to set for yourself and how much energy you should be expending during any particular part of the course. Try to do it at the same time of the day of the event too. Best not to be caught off guard by sun / temp / humidity....

Pay attention to what you've eaten and when on the training days you felt best and worst. Don't deviate substantially from what you know works for you just before the race. Eating some new type of energy bar or whatever the morning before the race might give unexpected results. Same goes for new shoes, even shorts, shirt, new stretches, things like that.

Be sure to get in 1-2 rest days immediately before the event. Go for very short, slow, easy runs during that day or two, but I wouldn't exceed 20% of a typical training day.

You'll need some hill work well beforehand, as others have said, but above all, pay attention to impending injury. "Wimping out" early during a workout can be made up for in the next day or two, whereas recovery from typical running injuries takes weeks to months. I should tattoo that on the backs of my hands.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    In regards to hills, everyone attitudes towards hill is different. I personally tend to go faster up hills to try to get it over with less steps. I also do this because if I used to get shin splits from over striding so the angle of my feet pointed up on the back stride tends to bring that feeling of shin splits back. Sometimes I have to run on tip toes to avoid that extreme angle. If I need to walk, I'll sometimes walk backwards to avoid.

Other great runners I know only walk up hill. Everyone is different, so you just have to figure what suits you.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Any chance you could train on the course, particularly the hills? That would be your best bet. Unless it's distant or a throwaway race, I will always try to run the course, or at least the troublesome segments. I agree with you on the reasonable goal of <1hr, and I'd attempt the entire 10K distance at least once in your training. Going up to 8mi as previously mentioned will be great in the future, but not now. For hills, keep your cadence up (strikes per min) and don't crash on your heels when coming downhill. By all means, practice, practice, practice, and give yourself time to recover so you're fresh on race day.
  • SteveMoto
    SteveMoto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like Runnerbean39m's approach in addition to finding some hills.
    Creeping up on the distance weekly will help you to prepare both physically AND mentally. If you're not used to a 10K it can feel like a whole lotta time on your hands. If you'r ready it should flow like normal workout time and you'll be done before you know it. Find some hills because it actually takes a little bit of skill and conditioning to take advantage of that downward slope if it's significant.