Did anyone read all that?
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Great post Thank you!!!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to write this.

The points you covered were very well said.

:drinker:
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    Did anyone read all that?

Didn't you?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you: were you afraid to run when you were heavier. Did you hurt your feet or ankles? At what point do you think you should try to run. It's like 99 outside right now, but I could start running in the pool? what do you think? Do they make special shoes for very heavy people do I just walk for a while hmm?:flowerforyou:

I've just now started running, but honestly if it's 90 out I'm not doing it. I get drained just walking in that temp. Start out walking and increasing your miles first then your speed, then you can start running. There are apps for running beginners, check out C25K (couch to 5 K) and the shoe thing yes they do, not really for big woman but for your feet, the right fit for your feet. I'm going to check into some soon. I've just started running a bit, more like walking really fast but I'm trying and I hate it, LOL
  • mommyjp2
    Options
    thank you for this!
    :smile:
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you: were you afraid to run when you were heavier. Did you hurt your feet or ankles? At what point do you think you should try to run. It's like 99 outside right now, but I could start running in the pool? what do you think? Do they make special shoes for very heavy people do I just walk for a while hmm?:flowerforyou:

I've just now started running, but honestly if it's 90 out I'm not doing it. I get drained just walking in that temp. Start out walking and increasing your miles first then your speed, then you can start running. There are apps for running beginners, check out C25K (couch to 5 K) and the shoe thing yes they do, not really for big woman but for your feet, the right fit for your feet. I'm going to check into some soon. I've just started running a bit, more like walking really fast but I'm trying and I hate it, LOL

I have always had strong legs and no real problems with my ankles. I have one knee that used to bother me in high school though. If you're not sure about you leg and ankle strength then start out walking as tmauck suggested. I also agree that if it's really hot out I'm not going to run outside. When I started running I was too self-conscious to run outside anyway so I ran on a treadmill. I bought some well fitting shoes (new balance, wide, nothing fancy) and some compression capris. Honestly the compression pants/shorts/capris were the best thing because they held everything in place (like a sports bra for your body, hahaha. Kinda gross but true). The first time I ran outside I had a panic attack because I was afraid people would be looking at me.

I used the c25k on my phone for tracking endurance. I did the program all the way through at 4 mph, then started over at 4.5, then 5, then 5.5, and finally 6 mph. I was never worried about getting hurt but I did allow myself to repeat weeks if they were too hard. I also originally started out running 6 days a week but cut back to 3 days running, 3 walking, and saw more gains in endurance that way.

Something no one ever told me; running outside is a lot harder! The first time I did it my hip flexors were so sore I thought I hard a hernia... I was sure I was going to die. Once I got used to it I learned that I prefer being outside and running isn't as difficult. I also don't worry about people looking at me anymore. I even look at people and smile instinctively when I pass by. Running has been an empowering experience.
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :heart:
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Very nicely said. Also....a stick of butter coated in sugar sounded appealing to me for a second....but maybe just a pat of butter coated in sugar? Moderation! :laugh:
  • helloreenie
    helloreenie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bravo!!!!!
  • iiprincesaii
    Options
    great post!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Very well said! I hope your post helps people see that they can enjoy life and still lose weight while eating the foods they love. :flowerforyou:
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Well said. :flowerforyou:
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Tal_Kyrte
    Tal_Kyrte Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump! :flowerforyou:
  • Discipline4results
    Options
    Thanks for your words of wisdom, they were so inspiring! Following reading your post I now have the motivation to MOVE...going for a walk! :-)
  • mslee369
    mslee369 Posts: 29
    Options
    Such a great post, thank you so much for taking the time to give such great advice. Congrats and continued success.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! May I also add: If you're doing all these right things that OP brought up and you're still having a problem, GO TO A DOCTOR, there may be something else going on!

After years of doing all the wrong things, I started doing it right, logging here on MFP, working out at the gym, and I was gaining, so went to a registered dietician got a healthy meal plan to make sure I was doing everything right since I wasn't sure if I was eating the right amount of calories, so armed with a 1700 cal food plan (that she said could vary as if I was hungry on a given day, to go ahead and eat a little more or if I wasn't quite so hungry didn't have to eat it all) and my 6 days of balanced cardio/strength training I continued in hopes of getting rid of those pounds I had gained.... but I kept gaining!!!! In a year I gained 40 lbs, in spite of everything I was doing right. I went to my doc who said "See an endocrinologist, something's just not right", went to the endocrinologist, had a gagillion tests done, and A-HA! I am hypothyroid and insulin resistant.... now armed with a treatment, the same healthy food plan, and my 6 days a week of balanced cardio/strength training, I am starting to lose, very slowly, but I am losing now, my body just needed a little help.
  • cdl42
    cdl42 Posts: 41
    Options
    This is a great post. Here I thought I was going to have to tell someone to stop feeling this way and so on and all that, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out you were addressing this issue with such great advice. Thank you for writing this post it is excellent! I don't think there is anything you said that I don't agree with. I:drinker: