I have noticed some saying weight loss surgery is a tool.

Options

Replies

• jimennis
    jimennis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I suppose for me, it depends on why the surgery is happening and what type of surgery you're referring to.

People who have gastric bypass surgeries to lose weight are still busting their butts to do it; they still have to control what they eat, learn new healthy habits etc, but for some it's an option to help them begin what is likely to be a long journey.

There are also lots of people who require weight loss surgeries because of the health risks of being the size they are outweigh the benefits of I suppose what you would refer to as a "natural weight loss".

I think it's a tool; it's just not a tool for you. It doesn't fit your situation or what you deem necessary.

But if someone is provided that tool by a weight loss center, specifically by someone with a medical degree, I certainly wouldn't judge them for using that option to begin a better, healthier life, nor would I shame them for it the way your post seems to.

You can have an opinion, but to say that it's an "easy way out" or "lazy" or that they haven't had to "bust their butts" like you have is just being cruel. I guarantee you the people who have these surgeries don't come to the decision lightly; they aren't looking for a quick fix nor do they have the impression that it's going to take them from 300lbs to 130 in no time flat. They're just using the tools that are available to them to begin a healthier life; what would you rather they did, had a heart attack attempting to perform the type of exercise that "busting your butt" might entail before their body is physically able to do so?
    Understand, but what keeps them from eating 1900 calories and starting an exercise program? If they are large, they got that way from eating unhealthy and to much and no exercise (most of them). Since they have to follow a strict program with surgery why can't they start that without the surgery? Many on here do and are successful.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I suppose for me, it depends on why the surgery is happening and what type of surgery you're referring to.

People who have gastric bypass surgeries to lose weight are still busting their butts to do it; they still have to control what they eat, learn new healthy habits etc, but for some it's an option to help them begin what is likely to be a long journey.

There are also lots of people who require weight loss surgeries because of the health risks of being the size they are outweigh the benefits of I suppose what you would refer to as a "natural weight loss".

I think it's a tool; it's just not a tool for you. It doesn't fit your situation or what you deem necessary.

But if someone is provided that tool by a weight loss center, specifically by someone with a medical degree, I certainly wouldn't judge them for using that option to begin a better, healthier life, nor would I shame them for it the way your post seems to.

You can have an opinion, but to say that it's an "easy way out" or "lazy" or that they haven't had to "bust their butts" like you have is just being cruel. I guarantee you the people who have these surgeries don't come to the decision lightly; they aren't looking for a quick fix nor do they have the impression that it's going to take them from 300lbs to 130 in no time flat. They're just using the tools that are available to them to begin a healthier life; what would you rather they did, had a heart attack attempting to perform the type of exercise that "busting your butt" might entail before their body is physically able to do so?
    Understand, but what keeps them from eating 1900 calories and starting an exercise program? If they are large, they got that way from eating unhealthy and to much and no exercise (most of them). Since they have to follow a strict program with surgery why can't they start that without the surgery? Many on here do and are successful.

Maybe they didnt eat 1900 calories for the same reason that got you to a place where you had 117 lbs to lose.
  • jimennis
    Options
    I guess I don't understand that logic. I find MFP and exercise programs to be tools. I find surgery as a last ditch effort for someone who cannot get their mind and body in sync. I have nothing against it if its your choice, but for all the people that have busted their butts doing it the healthy lifestyle way I consider surgery an easy out. You thoughts?

People enjoy feeling superior to other people and will grasp at reasons to do so.

No that would only you be feeling inferior and have nothing to add to the subject.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

And many of them have to as well. There are limits on how much one can way and often times the people who are getting the surgery have to lose weight to be eligible for surgery.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    My OPINION ... and only for me personally.... Weight loss Surgery would only be an option if I got some medical diagnosis where I NEEDED to lose a great deal of weight and FAST in order to stay alive. And honestly, I can't imagine what that diagnosis might be. Because usually a change in diet (the general meaning of what you eat) and activity level will be sufficient for most of the common weight-related problems. I try to reserve judgement on those who choose the surgery route because I don't know their history or their medical problems. But for me... It would be a last resort and only done out of a life or death necessity.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is a legit question or if I need to buy an extra bag of Troll Chow. I've had friends who've had the surgery and wouldn't want a post like this to dissuade someone who might be considering the surgery not to get it...

Here's how I see it. It's a tool for people who haven't been able to otherwise get the job done, either because they don't know how, they've tried and failed, or they don't think they can on their own.

Gyms and fitness equipment are tools. Technically, in a perfect utopian world, gyms wouldn't exist because we'd all be able to be fit with our day-to-day activities. It's 2014. We've got access to junk food. We've got access to really depressing stuff, thanks to the 24-hour news cycle. We've got desk jobs and long commutes. We're not out hunting our food and running from things hunting for us. So, we use tools like fitness equipment to compensate.

Additionally...
    1) If you're so incredibly overweight that you ARE a candidate for surgery, chances are pretty good that you have trouble doing something as simple as walking for any lengths - joint pain, difficulty breathing, easily fatigued - because of all of the extra weight on your body. Maybe you've got other health issues, like diabetic ulcers on your legs. Who knows... How discouraging must it be to not be able to walk 1/4 mile, because it hurts or you can't breathe?

2) If you're a candidate for the surgery, chances are good that you already have body esteem issues, so going to the gym, with all of the folks in cut-off t-shirts and form-fitting shorts, could be comparable to having root canal without anesthetic, in all 4 quadrants of your mouth, on the same day.

3) If you're a candidate, HOPEFULLY, you're going to a facility that will provide you with the means to stay healthy post-op. They should teach you how to make better food options. Hopefully, there's therapy thrown in the mix, to help address the issues that caused the relationship with food to go awry. Granted, it's your choice to use the support you receive, but it should be part of any legit program.

4) If you were raised in a household where poor food choices or the availability of better choices is limited, you're bound to develop poor eating habits. If you grew up around stress eaters, you're going to learn bad habits. Not everyone has a network of supportive people, willing to cheer them on with their fitness journey. Searching the boards will yield a plethora of "My spouse/partner/family is sabotaging me!" posts. Some people just need the extra help.

I personally don't see going for invasive surgery, making repeat trips to the ER because something along the digestive route closed or got infected, only being able to enjoy tablespoons of food, dealing with folds of skin that the insurance company won't help you get removed, as an "easy out." I see it as determination for people who want to live better lives and don't know what else to try.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have had gastric bypass. All but one had great results only to gain most of the weight back. The one that did not have as great results lost some weight and then he put it all back on plus much, much more. They are all on vitamin supplements for like and have surgery related health issues. The one that gained a lot of weight actually makes an effort to eat as much as he can because it is not physically easy for him. He will go to a restaurant, order 3 entrees and spend a couple of hours eating them. He gets stuffed and then waits until he can fit more in him. It's painful to watch and he won't listen to anyone about it.

If you are not mentally ready to do something about a change in lifestyle I don't think it's worth it to go through what is a major surgery that can in fact ruin your life as much as it could help it. I'm not anti-surgery if you are ready to ALSO change the way you will live the rest of your life but the people I know (and I'm sure there are others who are greatly successful) had the surgery and then just went on with their old lives as if nothing had happened.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Some folks have chosen weight loss surgery as their option. That's a decision between them and their physicians.

Personally, I chose to do it without surgery, since that was MY choice.

To each his own.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think it's a little bit psycho to feel that someone else achieving a goal in a different way than you do is some kind of insult or assault on you to the point where you need to call them out in such a critical way. Honestly. Why so obsessed with competing against others? Nobody gets a cash prize at the end.

Also, I've had only "minor" (ACL) surgery and it was horrible, not easy at all. I can't imagine what such invasive major surgery is like.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options

The majority of weight loss surgeries that occur are on people who are in excess of 300lbs. At that point, can you even imagine the pressure that goes through your joints when you try to walk? Many people become bed ridden; so they begin to eat at a caloric deficit (you actually have to prove, at least in Canada, that you can lose weight the "natural" way before you're approved for surgery) but an exercise program might not be doable for that person until 100 lbs have been lost.
  • jimennis
    Options

Maybe they didnt eat 1900 calories for the same reason that got you to a place where you had 117 lbs to lose.

I am sure they got there for the same reason and can do the same thing. Its a mind thing..
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My sister had weight loss surgery, and as a result, she has entirely changed her eating habits. Also, she's a great deal more active now than she was when she weighed 100+ pounds more.

My brother is even more overweight than I am, and he has diabetes. He hasn't had surgery, but I'd guess that over the last ten years the medical costs associated with his diabetes care are probably similar to or greater than the costs associated with my sister's surgery.

I won't (at least so far) do the surgery, but that's because I'm terrified of the idea of surgery. It has nothing to do with moral superiority.

I challenge the notion that paying insurance premiums gives anyone the right to tell other people what medical choices to make.
  • deborahmills22
    deborahmills22 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Do what is right for you and lose the judgement of others.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Anything you use to your success is a tool.
    As to whether you have the surgery or not is a personal choice, I seriously looked into it and discovered that while the surgery would help if I don't change my habits and learn to live "right" all the surgery in the world won't solve my problem.
    If you look around this site you'll find lots of people who've had the surgery and gained all or part of their weight back, most likely because, in my opinion most of them "didn't have their head in the game" and weren't prepared for the long term change in lifestyle.
    When I checked into the surgery I soon realized that it wasn't an easy way out and I had to do all of the stuff associated with a healthy diet-lifestyle change etc and since I'm a cheap *kitten* I had to ask myself why I was going to spend that kind of money if I had to work hard anyway...
    Not having the surgery has been a success for me, it may or may not work for others but the bottom line is you have to be ready and willing to go all in and make it work for you. If you think it's an easy fix you'll more than likely be disappointed in the surgery and yourself somewhere down the road.
    I don't think it's the easy way out but when I look at my results it's a little boost in pride knowing that I did it 'the old fashioned way" and didn't take the surgical route.
    YMMV...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My sister had weight loss surgery, and as a result, she has entirely changed her eating habits. Also, she's a great deal more active now than she was when she weighed 100+ pounds more.

My brother is even more overweight than I am, and he has diabetes. He hasn't had surgery, but I'd guess that over the last ten years the medical costs associated with his diabetes care are probably similar to or greater than the costs associated with my sister's surgery.

I won't (at least so far) do the surgery, but that's because I'm terrified of the idea of surgery. It has nothing to do with moral superiority.

I challenge the notion that paying insurance premiums gives anyone the right to tell other people what medical choices to make.

Agreed. That's not a road down which I'm prepared to go.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It is not an easy way out. However, people mistakenly see it as an easy way out, and choose to do it, only to regain the weight because they never bothered to change their habits.

There are people that, biologically, are not capable of losing weight. For them, it is a tool.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

:drinker: :heart: :smooched:
  • VAPrincessM
    VAPrincessM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have LOTS of opinion about TOOLS: like SURGERY and TOOLS who post ignorant crap on the internet.
    Is it an easy out? No. It's a wonderful tool that is helping ME to do what i could not do on my own, along with counseling, nutritional advice, and exercise. I will always have to work hard to maintain any weight loss, the only thing is that now my stomach is smaller and does not allow me to overeat the way that I did. The rapid weight loss in the beginning allowed me to start moving and exercising. I'm happy, I paid for the surgery out of pocket, and don't think it's any of your damn business what other people do. Worried about tax dollars? Write your Congressman.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    There are many tools on MFP. :flowerforyou:

...And weight loss surgery is a personal decision and none of anyone's business unless the person asks for input. Paying insurance premiums doesn't entitle you to make another's medical decisions.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    There are many tools on MFP. :flowerforyou:

...And weight loss surgery is a personal decision and none of anyone's business unless the person asks for input. Paying insurance premiums doesn't entitle you to make another's medical decisions.

/thread.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!