Options
    <
    garbage disposal.

Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is about having standards for what you consume

Hmm. But I have standards for what I consume, so that can't be the difference!

Here's another example. Lots of people seem to put "lean meat" as "clean," implying that non lean cuts of meat or meat from less lean animals are not "clean." But leanness of the cut is really about lowering calories, like choosing skim milk over whole fat (which I think is fine, but some seem to have issues with on "more processed" or "not clean" grounds, even if they don't hate dairy itself as inherently non "clean") or even like choosing diet soda over Coke.

Indeed, I buy my meat from a local farm (ethical reasons of my own, plus I just like buying as much as I can locally, one benefit of living where I do is it's so easily available, and I have relatives with family farms so I like supporting them). As a result of this, I tend to have fewer options when it comes to the really lean cuts (i.e., skinless, boneless or 95% lean ground beef) and in some cases (pork) I know some of the breeds I have access to are actually much fattier than your factory-farmed pork. I rarely have bacon in part because the bacon I get (while delicious) is way more calories than the brand I used to buy at the grocery store. And I certainly don't limit myself to the leanest cuts or animals--after all, the ethical idea is to eat the whole animal (which would also seem consistent with real "clean" eating if it actually meant anything). So to me the idea that "clean" (i.e., natural, unprocessed whatever it's supposed to be) means "lean meats" seems strange.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    For me it's about food volume. for 500 calories, I can either have 1/2 of a decent cheeseburger and be starving an hour later, or I could make a GIANT plate of vegetable-filled, well-seasoned lentil curry & rice, and eat myself silly.

This is how I feel about food too. I'd rather have a huge bowl of salad than a "cup" of of something like pasta. That naturally leans me towards eating what seem to be more nutrient dense foods (lean white meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, etc).

However, tomorrow I'll be hunting a cheeseburger and pretzel nuggets... and beer.

It's actually not that hard (even without 95% ground beef) to make a burger of a filling size with some vegetables on the side and have it be at least as filling as lentils and rice for the same calories, IMO. Similarly, it's not all that hard to have half a cup of pasta (whole wheat if you like) with a homemade sauce with lots of vegetables and have it be as filling as the salad with lots of volume.

But the bigger point is that I'm not sure why the burger or the pasta in these examples would necessarily be NOT CLEAN. This again points to the confusion of the term. Is it the bun (even if whole wheat)? The pasta itself? I mean, sure, some people think wheat isn't adequately nutrient dense, but is it really that different in kind than rice?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Yes, washing your fruits and veggies so that they are clean is the best thing to do. Who wants to eat it with all that dirt? :bigsmile:
    wow. how original.:yawn:

Thank you. I've only been here three weeks not three years, so suck it, old timer. :tongue:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yes, washing your fruits and veggies so that they are clean is the best thing to do. Who wants to eat it with all that dirt? :bigsmile:
    wow. how original.:yawn:

Thank you. I've only been here three weeks not three years, so suck it, old timer. :tongue:
    Bye!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I think it's a vague term at best but if it gets you thinking about eating more veggies and fruits, and focused more on your diet in general then ok. Just remember that it's calories in calories out for weight loss, but that nutrition does matter. Now, to be clear good nutrition doesn't require the organic, non-GMO, gluten free BS though.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    The payoff for clean eating is in a healthier body, the payoff for eating less is weight loss, and the payoff for exercise is fitness, generally. There can often be cross-benefits between the three, and usually are, but don't expect to lose weight from eating clean alone. There are plenty of people that are fit and overweight, the right weight and unfit, and every other combination of the three.

Its up to everyone to decide which of the three, or how many of the three they want. Personally I don't see any benefit of having one, without having them all, and want to be healthy, fit and the right weight. If all you want is the latter though, you only need a calorie deficit.
  • LiveLoveBeFit
    Options
    i prefer eating clean because when junk food gets in my system i lose my ability to move objects with the power of my mind

You are awesome! hahaha. Def just made my friday
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" is a personal choice. Does it help one lose weight faster? Not if they're eating more than they need to.

Is it "healthier"? While eating more nutrient dense food is a great approach, actual health is dependent on more than just food. One could eat "clean" and lack sleep or have high stress and food isn't going to affect those very much.

Also goals matter. Michael Phelps is an Olympian. His requirement for calories is between 8,000 and 10,000 a day. Now if he ate NOTHING but clean food, he'd never get a chance to train and he'd be FULL all the time which would definitely affect the way he swims. So how does he eat? He eats lots of high calorie processed foods which include pizza and fast food. And I doubt he's measured as an unhealthy individual physically.

So the approach should be: "I intend to do this for the rest of my life." If so, then go the "clean" eating route. If it's just to lose weight and the intention is to go back to eating foods you ENJOY and LIKE, then it may not be the way to go since all one is doing is restricting calories to reach a weight goal.

I know many "clean" eaters, but most of them are competitive in bodybuilding and athletics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    hmmm I have enough macros for 51 reeses pieces, or 5 rice cakes and 2 table spoons of coconut oil. Pass the candy please, you all can have the coconut oil, my body doesn't care where the macros came from, it doesn't live on planet hippy.
  • CaitySins
    CaitySins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As mentioned it's a vague term. For some I see posting here, it's about eating more fresh food, opposed to junk food or take outs. I've seen others mention where it means they will only eat organic. I think healthier foods do make you feel better, I feel less weighed down and bloated if I eat a home cooked meal (even home made grilled sausage and fries) than I do after a take out. For me it'd be something I'd have to work towards because I don't like the texture of salad, but honestly for me it's not something I'm really interested in, long as what I'm eating is filling and within my calorie limit, I don't care if it's processed or not.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Like everything else in my life, it is a balance. I balance the nutrient dense foods that fuel my workouts and fill me up with the tasty, tasty goodness that comes from the not so nutrient dense foods that make me want to hug kittens instead of kick them.

I eat a lot of what clean eaters would call clean. I also eat a reasonable amount of the forbidden foods.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated when I see people losing weight faster than me that eat less calories and their calories are from junk or packaged or diet foods.

1. Do you think you're earning "virtue points" or something, and that -- even though you SAY you know that it's about calories -- you "deserve" more weight loss than someone else based on them making choices that YOU judge as less virtuous?
    2. Does judging other people for eating less clean than you burn hella calories or something? Because that's the only thing I can see you getting out of it.
    3. Alternatively, if you are legit asking "hey, if losing weight is the ONLY thing I care about, is 'eating clean' making it too complicated because I MISS CHEETOS SO HARD MAN" then dude, correct, you're making it harder than it needs to be. Count the calories and eat a few cheetos.

You do YOU, and maybe don't get all competitive about whether you're losing faster or slower than someone else. You like the way your diet makes you feel, and you like the results. If eating "clean" is a bit inflexible for you, then loosen up some but keep counting calories. Priorities, man.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    The payoff for clean eating is in a healthier body, the payoff for eating less is weight loss, and the payoff for exercise is fitness, generally.

I'd say the payoff for healthy eating is in a healthier body (assuming you also don't overeat, as it's simply not healthy to be overweight), the payoff for eating less is weight loss, and the payoff for exercise is fitness (plus it helps with weight loss if you also control calories).

No need to eat "clean" at all, whichever of the many conflicting definitions one might choose.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    The payoff for clean eating is in a healthier body, the payoff for eating less is weight loss, and the payoff for exercise is fitness, generally.

I'd say the payoff for healthy eating is in a healthier body (assuming you also don't overeat, as it's simply not healthy to be overweight), the payoff for eating less is weight loss, and the payoff for exercise is fitness (plus it helps with weight loss if you also control calories).

No need to eat "clean" at all, whichever of the many conflicting definitions one might choose.

Yeah, we're into semantics territory here, and it probably would have helped if I added a definition, instead of simply using the terminology of the original post. In any case, clean/ healthy/ et al, simply means nutrient-rich food to me, so suspect we are in agreement despite our choice of different terminology. I also agree with your bracketted additions, which would be examples of some of the things I meant by crossover benefits.

In any event, it seems I may have to adopt the term 'micro-nutrient rich foods', just to add to the muddled pot of food references here, lol :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" is a personal choice. Does it help one lose weight faster? Not if they're eating more than they need to.

Is it "healthier"? While eating more nutrient dense food is a great approach, actual health is dependent on more than just food. One could eat "clean" and lack sleep or have high stress and food isn't going to affect those very much.

Also goals matter. Michael Phelps is an Olympian. His requirement for calories is between 8,000 and 10,000 a day. Now if he ate NOTHING but clean food, he'd never get a chance to train and he'd be FULL all the time which would definitely affect the way he swims. So how does he eat? He eats lots of high calorie processed foods which include pizza and fast food. And I doubt he's measured as an unhealthy individual physically.

So the approach should be: "I intend to do this for the rest of my life." If so, then go the "clean" eating route. If it's just to lose weight and the intention is to go back to eating foods you ENJOY and LIKE, then it may not be the way to go since all one is doing is restricting calories to reach a weight goal.

I know many "clean" eaters, but most of them are competitive in bodybuilding and athletics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I may be splitting hairs, but I think you are confusing Health with Fitness. I doubt most elite athletes are ranked up there as the healthiest of us - the fittest yes, but the healthiest - I doubt it very much!

I think (IMO) a lot of people eating clean do so to reduce the amount of food they eat which could cause unnecessary inflammation and oxidation in their system.

Still each to their own.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    There will be a lot of naysayers here, I'm sure.

It does pay off. Mentally, physically, and in every other way possible. You will lose weight eating anything, as long as it;s a deficit. However, you won't feel as good nor most likely look as good as you could if you ate more nutrition-packed foods.

I'm not sure how anybody can argue that it's better to "fuel" the body with chemical and man-made material, rather than the wholesome nutrition that naturally occurs all around us...?
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Ever since I eat more clean my facial skin looks so much better. It is glowing and I have no skin problems any more.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Clean eating does pay off for some. It makes you feel like you are doing something. This sense of accomplishment is important to some people and is hard to get from eating a pizza within calorie budget.

From what I've seen around here though, the only difference between those who clean eat and those who don't is that those who do call it clean eating + occasional "cheats" and those who don't generally eat pretty much the same things the first group does but don't call occasional calorific food cheating.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get a lot of haters on here I think :(

I like eating clean because it's healthier and it keeps me full and satiated. I have less headaches and digestion issues, I sleep better and I personally lose weight faster when eating clean.

You need to find a lifestyle that will last for you and remember any progress is good progress. Try not to get too worried about what anyone else is doing. Many of them will fail in the long run anyway. Just do what works for you and what you can stick with and be happy for any and every success you find.

Eat what you like as long as you're getting the four main food groups: sugar, fat, chocolate, and salt.