How do I get muscular shoulders?! Female

Options
I absolutely love the look of muscular shoulders, on males and females! I focus a lot of my weights on my upper body and my butt...My biceps are looking decent, but my shoulders dont seem to be developing a nice round/muscular look. How can I work to achieve this?

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Do shoulder workouts..........? Eat clean and protein up.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Good compound movements that work the upper body should help a lot, be that bench pressing/ etc with weights, or pushing and pulling exercises like pushups and pullups with bodyweight exercises.

Just be careful with your shoulders and weights though, its very easy to overdo it, and injure your shoulders. Took me years for my shoulders to be ache-free when I worked them, after doing weights many years ago, and now when I work them I'm careful enough.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Are shoulder workouts any different then bench press? lat pull down? Like I said, what I am doing already does not seem to be making much difference in my shoulders, wondering if there is anything SPECIFIC i should be doing.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    Good compound movements that work the upper body should help a lot, be that bench pressing/ etc with weights, or pushing and pulling exercises like pushups and pullups with bodyweight exercises.

Just be careful with your shoulders and weights though, its very easy to overdo it, and injure your shoulders. Took me years for my shoulders to be ache-free when I worked them, after doing weights many years ago, and now when I work them I'm careful enough.

Okay, I am basically already doing these, just not noticing much difference. Ill just stick to it. When I poke at my shoulder I just feel bone.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Okay, I am basically already doing these, just not noticing much difference. Ill just stick to it. When I poke at my shoulder I just feel bone.

Are you bulking? Because you're not going to build any muscle otherwise.

If you're still trying to lose weight the best you can do is retain what you have, but don't expect to add any muscle until you're ready to bulk.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    Oh right! Yes, I am at a 250 calorie deficit from tdee or maintenance most days.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I hit them twice a week and have seen them slowly grow. Dana Linn Bailey has a shoulder workout free on bodybuilding.com. You won't get shoulders like her, but it has a wide variety of moves to hit all parts of the delts.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    pullups
  • triton64
    Options
    Barbell military presses for 3-5 sets of 10
    Barbell upright rows for 3-5 sets of 10
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a shoulder workout that I got out of a magazine years ago featuring Monica Brant. It's your basic exercises, of course. I just have always followed them in the order that was in the article and reps and sets. I have modified it over the years but in the beginning it called for twice a week. I now do it maybe once a week. I tried to Google it but it's an older article so it didn't come up. If you are interested you can DM as I have it in a workout binder at home.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Exrx.net for ideas.

I'd say lateral raises, inverted rows, Arnold press, front raise, one handed dumbell row. Do them bodybuilder style around 3x10. Just hit them on off heavy days or at the end of workouts. Try going back to back and super setting a bunch of them. Hit all three parts every workout.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the look of muscular shoulders, on males and females! I focus a lot of my weights on my upper body and my butt...My biceps are looking decent, but my shoulders dont seem to be developing a nice round/muscular look. How can I work to achieve this?
    Increasing their size helps. High volume training with a slight surplus. Also when you do laterals, use the technique where your pull your palms closer to your wrist ("broken" wrist technique) to put more emphasis on the shoulders and reduce the use of the forearms and arms.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    With dumbbells: Shoulder press, Arnold press. lateral raise...look up shoulder exercises and take it from there!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Are shoulder workouts any different then bench press? lat pull down? Like I said, what I am doing already does not seem to be making much difference in my shoulders, wondering if there is anything SPECIFIC i should be doing.

Barbell and dumbbell shoulder press, Arnold press, bb and db rows, chin-ups, push-ups, pull-ups AND calorie surplus - it would take ages to get that nice round look but I'm happy with the different wee lines of definition I find now and again, in the meantime.
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    Overhead press, incredibly underrated
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Oh right! Yes, I am at a 250 calorie deficit from tdee or maintenance most days.

i think we have identified the problem
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Overhead presses, military, or dumbbell - Do them heavy with the barbell - you can cheat up the last few with your legs - don't drop the bar on your head. Finish with higher rep dumbbells - Arnold presses are good - guess who they are named after?
    Eastcoast Jim
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    work em… good old fashioned push ups and the other stuff they mentioned are good..
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Overhead press. Front (?) dumbbell raises (straight arm up from waist as if you're pointing straight ahead). Lateral dumbbell raises.