My hair has been thinning and falling out

My hair has been thinning and falling out. I've been told it's from poor nutrition. I feel I am eating healthier than any time in my life. So could this be related, my diet.
I'm trying to remember when it started happening and I'm not sure if it was before This change of lifestyle or during.
I feel that if it is nutrition than before my eating habits were aweful so that maybe what started it, but to continue concerns me.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so what did you do?

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    How long have you been eating 1000 calories and why is your fats so low? Your protein and fats are very low, both are essential for overall health. I'm not sure what you're micros look like but you definitely need to be eating more. Some days I'm only seeing 600 ish calories logged? :( I'm sorry this is happening to you but yes, it does sound diet related
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Thank you for your response. My calories have bounced over and under since I have began. I am just now starting to stay close to my defect, and keeping my fat and sugar down, I had been over on those a lot while staying in my daily/weekly goal. I haven't looked back but I'm not sure I have been low on fat, actually over. Any way is this about my whole diet in general? Or is it specific nutrients? If I'm doing something wrong than I need to fix it.
    Thanks for any advice you can and have given me.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Things I never thought I'd say in life ever: Maybe you should consider eating less ice cream, whipped cream, cake and quest bars and more meat and veg and fruit and such?

I mean. For weight loss yeah you can eat whatever. I'm a big flexi dieting fan...but you gotta eat your meat and veg before you eat your pudding, you know? So start there and then maybe try eating up to your actual goal?

And fat. And protein. Those are things you may want to consider getting more of
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/macronutrients.htm

"the Dietary Reference Intakes published by the USDA 20% - 35% of calories should come from fat. We need this amount of fat for:

Normal growth and development
    Energy (fat is the most concentrated source of energy)
    Absorbing certain vitamins ( like vitamins A, D, E, K, and carotenoids)
    Providing cushioning for the organs
    Maintaining cell membranes"

not getting enough fat can mean that your absorption of vitamins may be deficient. I would definitely try to keep your intake consistently above 1200 and make sure you're getting around that percentage in fat. If you're decently active about 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein is also recommended.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Thank you for your response. My calories have bounced over and under since I have began. I am just now starting to stay close to my defect, and keeping my fat and sugar down, I had been over on those a lot while staying in my daily/weekly goal. I haven't looked back but I'm not sure I have been low on fat, actually over. Any way is this about my whole diet in general? Or is it specific nutrients? If I'm doing something wrong than I need to fix it.
    Thanks for any advice you can and have given me.

Aside from the fact that 1000 calories is TOO LOW, especially considering how little you have to lose, you should be aiming for .35 grams of fat per pound of weight. So if you're 125 lbs you need about 45 grams of fat. You should aim for somewhere around 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. For me that's 100 grams. Why did you reset everything so low? Especially since you've been told you have poor nutrition?

I also agree with Daiako. I'm a huge fan of cake, ice cream, and quest bars. All can be part of a healthy diet. But you need meat, veggies, fruits, and healthy fat first.

Can you ask for a referral to a dietician to write you a meal plan?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I'm going to go with eating less than a 1000 calories a day is your issue.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    You're eating too few calories, which means even though you think you're eating "healthier than you've ever" eaten before, you're not getting enough nutrients. Not just micronutrients (maybe them too, of course) but particularly macronutrients like protein and fat. Period.

You need an absolute minimum of nutrients, and at 1000 calories a day you're not going to meet that minimum.

There is no magic benefit protecting you from malnutrition just because the too-few-nutrients-you're-currently-eating are coming from less "unhealthy" foods than you are used to eating.

From the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hair-loss/basics/causes/con-20027666
    "Your hair may thin out if you skimp on good dietary sources of iron and protein, such as red meat, nonfat dairy products and iron-fortified cereal. Hair loss related to poor nutrition often accompanies eating disorders and crash dieting."
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Besides your calorie intake. Have your thyroid tested (for this same reason I just had my thyroid prescription upped & hair loss is back to normal) & also women starting menopause or in menopause experience hair loss!!!
  • Beewallows
    Beewallows Posts: 110 Member
    When I lost 40 pounds a few years back (I did it in about 4 months), at the end, my hair was coming out in clumps. It lasted about a 3 to 4 weeks, and went back to normal afterwards when I went back to eating more food. I probably wasn't eating enough, looking back.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    maybe it is due to diet but be sure your doc rules out all the other reasons hair can fall out or thin like thyroid, hormonal changes, lupus, alopecia, medications ect
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    My hair has been thinning and falling out. I've been told it's from poor nutrition. I feel I am eating healthier than any time in my life. So could this be related, my diet.
    I'm trying to remember when it started happening and I'm not sure if it was before This change of lifestyle or during.
    I feel that if it is nutrition than before my eating habits were aweful so that maybe what started it, but to continue concerns me.
    Has anyone else experienced this and if so what did you do?

You're not eating enough calories. No way you're getting all your nutrients 20 g of fat & 1000 calories? Increase to 1200!
  • MrsCot45
    MrsCot45 Posts: 2 Member
    I agree. You need to see a doc. About 20 years ago, my hair started to fall out by the fistful. Shortly thereafter I found out I was diabetic. Earlier this year, it started falling out again. My last blood test shows my a1c is creeping up. I may need to switch to insulin from my oral meds.
  • Adpalangi
    Thank you for replying and offering your advice. I suppose you have gone back in my diary from the days my 3 grands were here, I did horrible with all nutrients for those four days. And recently I have been looking for a evening snack, because I read a thread where people were saying about fitting in chocolate, ice cream sandwiches (every night) all kinds of the so called bad food and those people were doing very well on their weight loss. I've been told not to cut foods out, but to have them in moderation. I hardly think 1/4 cup of organic ice cream, or four tablespoons of whip cream on a cup of fruit, is over. Indulging, so I guess in need to look over that.
    And someone please tell me why I need to stay away from protien bars. They have really helped me to get close to my protien goal.
    Thanks again for your help.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Thank you for replying and offering your advice. I suppose you have gone back in my diary from the days my 3 grands were here, I did horrible with all nutrients for those four days. And recently I have been looking for a evening snack, because I read a thread where people were saying about fitting in chocolate, ice cream sandwiches (every night) all kinds of the so called bad food and those people were doing very well on their weight loss. I've been told not to cut foods out, but to have them in moderation. I hardly think 1/4 cup of organic ice cream, or four tablespoons of whip cream on a cup of fruit, is over. Indulging, so I guess in need to look over that.
    And someone please tell me why I need to stay away from protien bars. They have really helped me to get close to my protien goal.

It's not that you need to stay away from any of those things. Check my diary. Ice cream every day, and often other treat foods including protein bars.

It's that you need to include more nutrient dense foods also, and more calories overall.
  • Adpalangi
    I'm so sorry to hear you have had to go through that. And thanks so much for your input. I do have an appt with my dr next week, my hair stylist suggested the same, to see a dr.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

It's not that you need to stay away from any of those things. Check my diary. Ice cream every day, and often other treat foods including protein bars.

It's that you need to include more nutrient dense foods also, and more calories overall.

^This. Also..you need to really eat more. I went back here and there in your diary from your join date. You've been eating dangerously low for awhile.
  • Adpalangi
    Wow! Thank you.
  • Adpalangi
    Dangerously in the fact of the calorie intake or was there something else?
    Also thank you for your input.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member

you don't need to stay away from those things, you need to temper them with nutrient dense food.

I'll open up my diary if that will help but I, personally, have ice cream and protein bars daily...as well as meat, grains, veggies and occasionally fruit. And I'm not saying eat like me but I'm saying you gotta...you know. Work it all in.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    hair isnt crucial to your health and from eating so low for so long your body has rightly decided to steer nutrients away from your follicles to make sure you have enough for your vital organs.
    oh yeah and another side effect is that you will more than likely start looking 5-10 years older than you actually are, but at least you'll be thin i guess