I have noticed some saying weight loss surgery is a tool.

Options

Replies

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I've seen several people just absolutely raising Cain about insurance (private and paid for by the government). I've only seen ONE person here who actually posted and *knew* how insurance works. I was a licensed insurance agent in the state of Tennessee from 1999 until 2004. Insurance is nothing more than a risk pool. You absolutely pay your premium every month for what you have- healthcare, car insurance, home owners, boat owners, renters, ect. What YOU pay is based upon your risk. Until the ACA passed, there were many Americans that were uninsurable through private insurance because they were "too great of a risk" to insure. Insurance companies aren't stupid. They're out there to make money. They're banking on the fact that those with low risk, aren't going to use their policies each month. Most healthy people only go for check-ups once a year. They aren't on prescription medication, women may be on birth control, so they're able to spread out the cost of THOSE premiums to those with higher risk and pay for them. This isn't news. It's ALWAYS been happening. Whether or not we've been paying via tax dollars for government funded healthcare for those who are in need, or private healthcare that is purchased on our own/through our employers. Everyone pays, it's a fact of life, but yes, that money gets spread out into that risk pool, and it pays for the higher risk, because they're banking on the healthy people NOT getting sick, or having to pay out claims for them.

Granted, the healthier you are, you do have perks. You tend to have better policies, smaller/no deductibles, low/no co-pays for medication should you need them, and lower premiums altogether.

Point being, if you don't like insurance, and how it works, you always have the option to be uninsured, and go to the ER when absolutely necessary like those who would give anything for it. Then, when they aren't able to pay the bill, that, again, is passed along to the insured, making premiums go up. Food for thought.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    true stastic
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It is a tool. Because if you're not mentally ready to make a permanent lifestyle change you'll lose the weight for a bit, but eventually still screw yourself in the end. You can eff up the surgery! Both my parents have had the bypass. Both still struggle everyday. Its not the easy way or the fun way. I think my mom thought it would be the easy way and totally got an invisible smack in the face many days since.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Consider this...I've been eating a 1500cal a day diet for over year (less than that a lot of day but that's a nice average) basically eat veggies and fish. I've chronic pain and it's hard to exercise (a failing I'm trying to overcome at the moment) but yet even eating extremely healthy I've put on 15lbs in the last year.

I'm not saying everyone who has WLS has a medical condition. But how can you judge someone if you don't know their circumstances?

I'm in the process of taking charge of my health, of trying to identify what's going on because for me A+B doesn't equal C.

Be kind to people you don't know their path or their journey.

Unless you at 3'11" and 86 pounds, that math doesn't add up.

Either you're not estimating your caloric intake and expenditure correctly (very likely), or you have a undiagnosed medical condition.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. I do, a couple actually, and in the process of getting healthy so that A+B does equal C.

But say I didn't get the medical help I needed until I was 500lbs and the situation was dire, and extreme measures were needed, would you condemn me to die because I had an undiagnosed medical condition for most of my life? (I've been undiagnosed for at least 15 years)

I've chosen to eat healthy and when people would question how I could eat so healthy when I didn't see any results my response is always, imagine how I would look if I didn't.

There is never a black and white answer, it is wrong, it's a crutch? And without knowing the exact circumstances in each case we can't judge. WLS is something at this point in my life I personally would not consider but I can't say it isn't the correct choice for some people.
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Jim, Billie, Typhon -

Thank you. You have served as excellent reminders and motivators for me to be mindful of why I am on this journey, and why, no matter how much I lose, I will continue to offer only support and kindness to everyone I meet here. Your comments make it clear that the only back stories you care to know are your own, and that yours is the only correct way of doing things; I will certainly not waste your time or mine trying to dissuade you from that. What I will do is offer this reminder in turn: Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting their own battle. And remember that whether you have 40 or 400 lbs to lose, whether you do it with surgery or without, there are always going to be others in the world who will look upon you with derision and scorn for having to lose anything at all, simply because they have never stood in your shoes. You can argue all you wish that you did things the "right" way and that you've accepted responsibility for your shortcomings, but it won't matter. You will still be "other", just as you look at those who are not you as "other". Congratulations on your success, and may you gain nothing but compassion and kindness as you continue to lose your weight.

Best,

Tara
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    I guess I don't understand that logic. I find MFP and exercise programs to be tools. I find surgery as a last ditch effort for someone who cannot get their mind and body in sync. I have nothing against it if its your choice, but for all the people that have busted their butts doing it the healthy lifestyle way I consider surgery an easy out. You thoughts?

I don't think weight loss surgery is a tool..The treadmill is a tool...I think obesity is caused by a state of mind as well as habit, lifestyle and lack of motivation and having surgery doesn't change any of those things. many people who have weight loss surgery end up replacing one addiction with another.
  • sheiscute22
    sheiscute22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    People do not seem to be able to not judge those who drink and do drugs and then go to rehab and then go out again and continue on with the same behavior. And most insurance companies pay for it I think. Why isn't it the same for WLS? I have struggled with both weight and alcohol, haven't been in rehab and have not had WLS. But I've known many who have done both. Passing judgement is never helpful. Honest comments, when asked for, and given with love and caring are mostly always helpful. People's judgements of me and my battles have only hurt me. So I try to be very careful with others who are struggling and wish them only the best.
  • jimennis
    jimennis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand that logic. I find MFP and exercise programs to be tools. I find surgery as a last ditch effort for someone who cannot get their mind and body in sync. I have nothing against it if its your choice, but for all the people that have busted their butts doing it the healthy lifestyle way I consider surgery an easy out. You thoughts?

I don't think weight loss surgery is a tool..The treadmill is a tool...I think obesity is caused by a state of mind as well as habit, lifestyle and lack of motivation and having surgery doesn't change any of those things. many people who have weight loss surgery end up replacing one addiction with another.

You nailed it. I see lots of excuses, but the truth is when you are overweight or obese its up to you. I am there and I get it. I took responsibility, I feared diabetes and heart issues, one visit to the doctor convinced me. I asked about ways to lose it and she said "please do it the right way" I wish more could visit a Dr who cared enough to set and talk and tell me "change your lifestyle before you die".
  • jimennis
    Options
    Jim, Billie, Typhon -

Thank you. You have served as excellent reminders and motivators for me to be mindful of why I am on this journey, and why, no matter how much I lose, I will continue to offer only support and kindness to everyone I meet here. Your comments make it clear that the only back stories you care to know are your own, and that yours is the only correct way of doing things; I will certainly not waste your time or mine trying to dissuade you from that. What I will do is offer this reminder in turn: Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting their own battle. And remember that whether you have 40 or 400 lbs to lose, whether you do it with surgery or without, there are always going to be others in the world who will look upon you with derision and scorn for having to lose anything at all, simply because they have never stood in your shoes. You can argue all you wish that you did things the "right" way and that you've accepted responsibility for your shortcomings, but it won't matter. You will still be "other", just as you look at those who are not you as "other". Congratulations on your success, and may you gain nothing but compassion and kindness as you continue to lose your weight.

Best,

Tara

And the excuses motivate me. Author Boorman motivates me (no excuses) Look him up and you will see I do care, if you care.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

And if they use that treadmill, and don't address the issue that got them obese in the first place, what's going to happen? They're going to end up right back where they started from. Obese. The same with WLS. Did you read my post about my husband's journey? If he did not change his entire LIFE- his thinking, his eating habits, his exercise habits- what would've happened? He would've been right back where he started from.

I've lost 175lbs without any form of WLS, and most of it was BEFORE he went in for surgery. I didn't have this sanctimonious, "well, I lost all this weight on my own, honey! Why can't you do it, too!" attitude. I realize every person is different. I know that I don't know what goes on in another person's head or body. Just because at 24, 5'8, and 400lbs I was able to swim and play tennis, doesn't mean another woman with the same stats can. That's simply presumptuous of me to think that because I can do something, everyone can.

Before my husband went into surgery, we went through several education courses about the surgery, what to expect, what the surgery was, what it did, and how things would change. He had to undergo a psych evaluation to even see if he was a candidate for the surgery. Before AND after surgery, he attended and still attends the bariatric support group. Not every person that goes in for WLS surgery is a food addict, nor is every person that's obese been addicted to food- I certainly wasn't. I can tell you my addictions of choice- smoking and shopping. I'd gladly go without food for the rest of my life for an unlimited supply of Marlboro Lights Menthol and credit card with no limit. I also have the good sense to know neither of those are any good for me. I've almost been 24 hours without a cigarette, and I don't use credit cards unsupervised (another story in and of itself).

A person with issues, no matter what they are, if they don't get to the root of the cause, it will always rear it's ugly head, again.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Look, I'm not sure if you've ever looked at the Fed Z1 and the BEA's GDP stuff. The economy since the 80's has basically been driven by expansions in government, corporate, and private debt. If your multiplier was anywhere close to reality we should have seen a 70% growth in GDP, after factoring out increasing debt, for all the social spending over the past 30 years. It's not there. I'm not even getting into the validity of social programs, but you can't create money from nothing. If you tax Peter to buy groceries for Paul what that data shows in practical terms is that Peter was forced to charge on his credit card to make up for the lost income. That's not a multiplier, unless you think debt doesn't matter, in which case you apparently are a Congressperson.

Yeah, the economy since the 1980's, when Reagan et al started implementing "supply-side economics", has continued to go down the drain.

The economic woes of the late 1970's were caused by a supply shock because of OPEC exerting its market power as a cartel. Other than that, demand-driven economics ruled the longest and most profitable economic expansion of any nation in history. I'm old enough to remember how the average American lived in the 1960's and 1970's, and with the exception of tech we have now that hadn't been invented yet, the quality of life for the average American really *was* better in the "old days". You can see this reflected in reports of the US average inflation-adjusted incomes between then and now.

You should also note that the majority of government spending goes to military contractors and to the military itself, not to these social programs with this economic effect. The problem with investing in military items is that those items themselves do not continue to contribute to the country's productive capacity the way other kinds of spending (infrastructure, public health, public education) do.

If Peter has to use his credit card so Paul can eat, that's an indication that neither one of them is being paid a living wage--it's actually an argument in favor of progressive taxation rates and minimum wage laws.

Understand that from a *bankers* point of view, *debt* is good because it means he collects a rent on that money every time it changes hands, without really having to do anything but own title to that money when the loan is made.

You object to the government taking a cut of the money stream (called tax) to fund public works which are of benefit to you and everyone else, but readily accept private individuals taking a cut (called interest) whenever money changes hands to increase their personal wealth which is of benefit only to them?

From everyone else's point of view, debt is bad and serves only to transfer wealth (title to capital) to the "investment (resource-hoarder) class", piecemeal in the form of interest and fees for accessing your own money.
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've read some of these responses on here and it seems like this thread was started to bash people who have made the choice to have WLS. Many people don't understand that there are medical issues which does make it nearly impossible to lose weight without medication. Some people also get so big that they do need WLS to kick start their transformation. It's easy to put others down when you don't have a medical condition or any lack of knowledge about some that cause weight gain or make it very difficult to lose weight and for that I feel bad for those who lack understanding due to their own ignorance. I was one of those people until I realized that I have a medical problem that makes it difficult for me to lose weight without medication.

For some people you do have the will power to lose 100+lbs without WLS and that is amazing, maybe someone opting for WLS doesn't have as much will power as you but that doesn't make their choice a bad one either, it just means they are simply taking a different route to healthiness.

For those of you who have had or are considering WLS, don't let any bullies put you down for making your choice. You know what is best for you and your health!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I've read some of these responses on here and it seems like this thread was started to bash people who have made the choice to have WLS. Many people don't understand that there are medical issues which does make it nearly impossible to lose weight without medication. Some people also get so big that they do need WLS to kick start their transformation. It's easy to put others down when you don't have a medical condition or any lack of knowledge about some that cause weight gain or make it very difficult to lose weight and for that I feel bad for those who lack understanding due to their own ignorance. I was one of those people until I realized that I have a medical problem that makes it difficult for me to lose weight without medication.

For those of you who have had or are considering WLS, don't let any bullies put you down for making your choice. You know what is best for you and your health!

+1
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

My thought: Da fuc do you care for?
  • jimennis
    Options

English 101??
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Wow,
    I don't think having a surgery is any kind of an easy way out. As a culture we are way to worried about other peoples' lives.
    A person having weight loss surgery might cost us tax money but so do the complications from obesity. There are plenty of more ridiculous things tax money is spent on.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,051 Member
    Options

OP, all your posts sure contradict with this bit " I have nothing against it if its your choice"

You have plenty against it and you started this thread to say so - at least be upfront about it. :angry:

anyway my thoughts are that it is a last resort option that is appropriate for some people.

Not for me personally because I have never had anywhere near enough weight to lose to be a candidate for such.
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Jim, Billie, Typhon -

Best,

Tara

That may be the most eloquent, well written, surreptitious way I've ever had anyone tell me to f*** off before.

Well done. I almost missed it in all the flowery language.

The fact is there are a lot of folks to whom our perspective about the validity of most weight loss surgeries is like rubbing salt in a wound and are reacting forcefully as a result (as to be expected). And there are a lot of mollycoddlers rushing to defend them and attack us in turn.

The fact still remains that while undergoing weight loss surgery is certainly not the easy way out (major surgery and a long, painful recovery is hardly easy) or necessarily "cheating" (I never understood exactly how that line of thought works), it is most of the time completely unnecessary and opens up its patients to a wide range of medical risks in the short and long term.

I'll keep saying it, because I know there are those on MFP who want to believe that getting a lap band or bypass is some kind of magic pill or will dramatically give them a jump start. It won't, in and of itself.

You still have to put the work in! You still have to watch your calories! You still have to learn new nutrition habits! Your body will still burn through the same amount of calories as before. You don't naturally lose more weight or burn more fat just because your stomach physiologically smaller. Biology doesn't work that way.

If it's the support network, structure, and guidance that the preparation and aftercare of a weight loss procedure that you really need, then use that money on going to see a therapist and a nutritionist. Schedule regular, ongoing time with a quality, experienced personal trainer.

If you think you have to get WLS as a way to force you into changing, then that strikes me as an exhorbitantly more expensive and dangerous version of "I bought a smaller sized dress for this wedding/party/vacation, and I have to lose weight to look good in it!" - it's not a mindset that will sustain long term change.

Don't fit into your new dress at the end of three months? Well, oops. Have major surgery and you still don't change your ways? That's much more significant.

Unless you have legitimate medical condition, then you probably don't need a weight loss procedure like a band or bypass. "Oh, I've been on so many diets and failed them all" is not a legitimate need. That's an issue I hear brought up time and time again as justification for WLS, but if we're all honest, that's a psychological issue, not something physiological.

Otherwise, you're subjecting yourself to major surgery for reasons that can be avoided by the diligent care of psychologists, nutritionists, and the dedication to our betterment.

But then again, I'm apparently just a big ole meanie. If you'll excuse me, I've got some kids' milk money I need to go steal. Might tell them all that Santa isn't real while I'm at it.

Back to your regularly scheduled MFP, everyone.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

English 101??

Ah, my bad. I got you.

Normally I reserve proper English for legit questions not steeped in condescension and a clear desire to look down on others for doing things the way you did, as if there is some manner of greatness or nobility in your chosen method/what you perceive as greater suffering. The truth is doing things what you think is the hard way and 'suffering' for you cause while someone else does it what you see as the 'easier' way doesn't make you a better person, it doesn't make you great or noble or place you above them. But shaming those who choose a different path is, much like someone who is paleo shaming someone who prefers to do 80/10/10, petty and reeks of bitterness. The fact you even care, that this question ever floated around in your head let alone was deemed worthy of being shared, exposes you as a small person. This same smallness, by the way, is shown again when you act as if 'Da' and 'Fuc' or the lack of 'What' at the front of my question keep you from understanding me, so instead you snidely demand 'English 101'.

Is there anything I could further clarify for you? Diagrams perhaps, as reading phonetically is clearly beyond you?
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there is a 5 yr old child that horrible dark things happened to. Things she told no one about, not even her wonderful caring family. In her stress and anxiety she found food made her feel better. Her body hid the weight quite well and no one noticed until one day they did. Then every meal she was under scrutiny and restricted. She began to eat and hoard food in secrecy. And then one day a relative who meant well said " The boys won't like you if you are fat" ....well that was just fine with her. She grew up never knowing what it felt like to run without her joints aching. Never having a choice of attractive clothing. Never feeling comfortable in her own skin, always overheated and sweating. People would say you will feel so much better when you lose the wt. Just stop eating when you are full but, what does that mean to a person who has never known normal. She would exercise and starve herself down 40 lbs every other year enduring the crippling hunger but of course that wasn't maintainable and she hadn't cured the root of the problem. Then she started cooking all her own food but still her portions were out of control. And every year added 5 more lbs. Then 2 yrs ago she met a very kind priest who was a former physician and he helped her work on the "why" of her food addiction. She quit medicating with food and began to slowly lose wt. Unfortunately she had run out of time and her health began to rapidly decline. She realized that she could die leaving a husband and young child. She started the 6 months of therapy and supervised wt loss to get approval for bariatric surgery.
    It is a wonderful feeling to be normal weight for height. To be able to tie your shoes without your vision going spotty. To rush up 3 flights of stairs and not have a wheezing attack. To run and run and run and nothing hurts. To have a brain that is filled with other thoughts instead of unrelenting food obsession. At 45 it is a very new world for me. I world I can only live in if I constantly watch my intake, exercise regularly and abstain from medicating with food. This tool helped someone who had no memory of normal find it again.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!