Talk about a push to succeed. No pressure!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Rellsher
    Rellsher Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sherrell, great post. I agree with you on the points about job opportunities and perception. I know, I didn't get hired for positions because of my weight. I don't know what type of nursing program you are in, but some around here guarantee you employment because they pay for your education and you have to work it off. Now, I never looked to see whether they discriminate when it comes to weight when getting into the program. That's interesting.

You are going to look awesome for this wedding. You're giving yourself time which when it comes to weddings almost never happens.

As for people not taking advice from you in the medical field because of your weight. That happens when skinny people try to tell overweight people what they should do. We overweight people tend to feel that they have no idea of the struggle we go through. Take pics of yourself now, because when that time comes and you are that perfect size person, you can whip out the pic and say: "I've been there. I know."

Best of luck on your journey. If you would like to add me as a friend, please do so.

Hey dwalt,

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post with the right understanding on what your say but I wasn't saying that my nursing school would discriminate against me because of my size. I'm saying that I feel within myself, that after I graduate from nursing school the hospitals I'd apply to wouldn't possibly chose me out of other candidates because of my image.

....but yes....

I can't wait until it's time to go try on and pick out a bridesmaid dress.....eeekkkk! Thanks for the great encouragement! I'll see ya around....keep pushing the limits!!,!
  • Rellsher
    Options
    I love that you call yourself "fluffy" and not fat! anyway I am a big snacker too. I like to snack mostly after dinner while watching tv. feel free to add me as we are all in this together

Girrrrlll! it was either fluffy or pleasantly plumped lol. I'll definitely seen you a friends request. See ya around and keep pushing the limit Ms. Lady!!,
  • Rellsher
    Options
    You got this!

I'm pretty new here, as well, and trying to figure it all out. I'm looking for friends that have like goals and are willing to be a positive influence in the process!

Add me as a friend if you like. The more we can encourage, the more we'll get through the psychological stuff and the physical stuff will begin to fall in place.

Sending virtual high fives!!' I'll send you a request :D
  • Rellsher
    Options
    hey, i'm cece :) we have pretty close starting weights. . .weight loss twins! haha :)
    friend request sent :)

Weight loss twins!?!?....I like that lol. I'll send you a request as well :D
  • Rellsher
    Options
    Welcome! You'll find lots of support on MFP.

Like you, I'm a snacker by nature. I eat smaller meals so I can snack. My favorite snacks are carrots and celery with hummus, an apple with peanut butter, a granola or atkins bar, a frozen fruit juice bar, popcorn and an occasional soda.

I've lost just over 100 pounds...but for the past year haven't lost hardly anything and I've got another 100 or so to go! I've recently changed my ticker to just a chunk of what I have left to lose - the entire amount is daunting - and changed up my eating habits to put some of those snacks back into my eating plan. It's too early to see what it's going to do to the scales - but I sure feel better.

You can do this - and you've got over a year to be the fittest bridesmaid! Best of luck~

Hey simplydelish!

Congrats on your previous weight loss and can't wait to see more of your progress.

Carrots I love but I've never tried them with hummus....I'd have to give it a go one of these days. I wonder if there are some other good snacks I could eat throughout the day...hmmm!?! I'm going to look into that.

Thanks so much for welcoming me and I'll see ya around....keep pushing the limit!!!
  • BEquality
    BEquality Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    We have a lot of similarities… same height, similar starting weight, similar current weight, etcetera. :) It's so nice to find people on MFP that I have things in common with! I've been at it for two months now… it's slow going, but I refuse to lose my determination. My main goal next year is to "make weight" to join the Navy or the Army, so I really relate… especially since my preferred MOS is medical.

I've done a lot better with my water intake on most days than before I started focusing on getting healthier. It makes it easier when I refill water bottles… as many as I can… so that way I can "grab and go" and I can also keep track somewhat. I count a 16.9oz bottle as 2 cups, a 23.?oz bottle as 3. Most days I get at least 8 cups in, sometimes 10-12. (But right now, a plain ol' cup of ice water sounds so good.)

Snack-wise, and food-in-general-wise, I'm still working on that. It's hard for me to afford the good stuff right now because of my living situation (and other reasons, personal stuff), so right now I am just trying to do my best and not over-stress. Portion control is better than starving myself or being miserable and unhappy. When I have a little more financial flexibility, it will be easier. Enough about me, I am sorry.
    … But I really recommend the Dreyer's Outshine popsicles… I didn't really like the Coconut Waters with Pineapple one, but the regular coconut ones are delicious and are relatively reasonable, calorically-speaking (if that's even a word, haha). They have a lot of options, too.

I do a lot of cardio most days, which gives me a little more flexibility with food, but I don't always have the appetite to eat back a lot of earned calories. I am trying to start figuring out strength training, which is recommended, even though I can't afford a trainer right now. If you work out and are interested in protein shakes, I recommend the "hydrolyzed whey protein isolate".

I'm kind of rambling, when I meant to give advice, so… I'll stop there. Feel free to add me, if you like. In any case… best of luck. You can do it! :)
  • restors
    restors Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For myself, the first month or three were both the easiest and the hardest. When you start from a higher weight, even little changes (30 minute walk every day, cutting out soda, not eating after a certain time [although that's not necessary, it just helped me, personally], eating more raw fruits and veggies, etc.) will give you BIG results. Making those changes and really exercising will power was probably the hardest. If you're a real hardass on yourself in the first 1-3 months and establish those good habits, I promise it becomes easier (and more like everyday life, not like exercising will power) down the road.

My biggest advice, from back when I started this 5-6 years ago:

-Drink way more water than you think necessary
    -Drink two glasses of water before / during each meal
    -Eat two raw fruits or raw veggies or one of each BEFORE a meal, so you get full before you start eating the "bad stuff"
    -Eat more whole foods (not processed stuff like chips, crackers, bagels, soda, candy bars, cookies, cake, etc.)
    -Force yourself to exercise EVERY DAY, even if it's just 30 minutes of walking (but, by all means, get more intense if you like), even if it means waking up early
    -STRETCH! Before and/or after workouts. When I was a lot bigger, stretching really helped me avoid injuries early on and just feel better in my body as it transformed

People will tell you these things are not necessary and they are not. You can lose weight eating butter and not exercising, as long as it's under your calorie goal. I just found these things to help me lose weight more quickly, feel more full, feel more satisfied with myself physically and my level of fitness.

this is such great advice, not things I didn't know or have more or less said to other people. So why do I find it so difficult to follow!!!!
  • maimpala84
    maimpala84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hellllllp me push to succeed... give me some encouragement .... someone !!!!!!! add me as a friend lol
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Rellsher,
    I weighed 270 when I began. I started out just working each day to stick to my calorie goal and then I added in exercise. I began making small changes that have had a huge impact! I am sending you a friend request. You can do this!
    ~Becky
  • kbeyer23
    kbeyer23 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here and we have pretty much the same stats! I would love to be your friend on mfp. :)