I have noticed some saying weight loss surgery is a tool.

Options

Replies

• walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't consider surgery an "easy way" out. Actually, I don't care how someone chooses to lose the weight. The fact is, if one doesn't make major lifestyle changes, they will not maintain their goal weight and that's why I think of WLS as just a tool, one of many needed.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Why are the support or had surgery people so angry? Maybe some anger classes will help after surgery?

One word: Ignorance. I absolutely abhor ignorant people. In this day and age there is zero reason for anyone to be ignorant but yet, we have those who are willfully ignorant, which are the worst. With all of the education we have at our fingertips, why would anyone be so ignorant to something they have access educate themselves about? That, yes, that makes me angry. It's not only WSL, it's other important issues in our world. We won't get into those to derail the thread, but I'd wager if I asked about them, you wouldn't be able to give me a fact based answer, and THAT sir, that is what angers me.
  • Miss_1999
    Options
    Folks who are deemed "successful" at WLS are those who take their weight off, follow the rules, and produce acceptable numbers on their blood tests.
    As far as real, lasting, health is concerned??
    I'm not seeing any focus on that.
    Nor am I seeing evidence that a respectable percentage of post-ops are really healthy.

As far as real nutrition?
    I have yet to see anyone in the WLS field talk about it with any seriousness.
    The dietitians who "support" bariatric patients are label readers.
    They wouldn't know bone broth from Campbells' soup.
    They'd rather their patients cripple up and die before they'd consider recommending raw milk.
    They judge health by thinness rather than aliveness.

Well, sister, you didn't go back far enough, obviously, and read the story I posted of my husband's journey with WLS. His blood work is perfect, as is his blood pressure. Next month he will be 3 years post-op, he's lost 175lbs, and KEPT it off, because he developed a new LIFESTYLE. New, healthy, eating habits, and new exercise habits. He has a good support system, and still attends when he is able the support group for reinforcement, and to motivate others.

The nutritionist that my husband sees, and that does the support group, certainly knows more than "bone broth" and "Campbells" soup. Every single month, Laura has new recipes with REAL food *gasps* for us to take home, and we often bring in recipes to share. Just like here at MFP, those who have had WSL know what they're supposed to have every day- and the main thing is PROTEIN! Getting in your protein is huge! Watching calories is a big thing as well, and staying away from carbonated beverages. I have zero idea where the nutritionist you've spoken to is from, Laura who does an entire city's support group, has foods that ANYONE can make and eat- not the fake "rubber" cheese as I like to refer to it. People eat real dairy products. They eat REAL fruits, real veggies. From time to time, they have cake (in phase three). They are taught how to LIVE a regular life by making smarter choices through portion control, proper eating habits, and knowing their daily caloric/protein intake. I'm so sorry that you're another that is just willfully ignorant. Education, it's out there. Don't be afraid of it, or what it can do for you.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I was totally going to hand slap for the whole "how much did that cost us tax payers" remark :noway: ... and then I went a few pages in an noticed some of you already got the situation handled. :drinker:
  • Miss_1999
    Options
    I was totally going to hand slap for the whole "how much did that cost us tax payers" remark :noway: ... and then I went a few pages in an noticed some of you already got the situation handled. :drinker:

:drinker: Honey, I was already on that! I swear, I'm on fire this afternoon with the willfully ignorant! There's a lot roaming around. It's getting painful these days. They don't have remotely have any concept on how insurance works, they just pay for it, have it, then ***** about it.

**Footnote-- I'm quitting smoking-- been a little over 24 hours without a cigarette, probably gonna be a little meaner than usual, and the filter is at zero, so anything may come out of my mouth. Just puttin' that out there.**
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    My thoughts... apart from whether it's the lazy way or not, it's elective, which means my health insurance (Medicare) won't cover it, and I'm on a fixed income (Sociial Security). If I had thousands of dollars, I'd use it to buy a round baler. I could never, ever justify spending the $$$ on myself.
  • dmprice17
    dmprice17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    being on mfp for almost two years, and recording everything i eat, working out, ect. and i have only been able to keep 10 lbs off, i am considering it. if i don't stay under 1000 calories i gain, if i have one bad day i gain 5 lbs and it takes 3-4 weeks to lose that one bad day discretion,
    been dieting all my life so i know my metabolism sucks, tried all tricks to increase, drink water, at gym several hrs a week, lifting weight and ride bike about 50 miles a week
    so tell me what is the correct course for me? i am prediabetic, have htn, hyperlipidemia, i watch my mom's life take this course and she was dead at 77 with stroke and poor life quality for last 10 years,
    super struggle
  • jimennis
    jimennis Posts: 80 Member
    Options

:drinker: Honey, I was already on that! I swear, I'm on fire this afternoon with the willfully ignorant! There's a lot roaming around. It's getting painful these days. They don't have remotely have any concept on how insurance works, they just pay for it, have it, then ***** about it.

**Footnote-- I'm quitting smoking-- been a little over 24 hours without a cigarette, probably gonna be a little meaner than usual, and the filter is at zero, so anything may come out of my mouth. Just puttin' that out there.**
    State of Arkansas withdrew and rewrote bariatric surgery policies for teachers and other employees because it was costing the state millions of dollars (tax payers). Also causing an increase of premiums for all teachers (tax payers). Arthur Boorman made no excuses and I have yet to see anyone in his shape. Google the name and watch the video and let me know what you think.
  • Miss_1999
    Options
    My thoughts... apart from whether it's the lazy way or not, it's elective, which means my health insurance (Medicare) won't cover it, and I'm on a fixed income (Sociial Security). If I had thousands of dollars, I'd use it to buy a round baler. I could never, ever justify spending the $$$ on myself.

If it were elective- NO insurance would EVER pay for it. NO insurance pays for elective surgery. Now, YOUR particular insurance may deem it an "elective" surgery, to get around having to pay for the procedure, but it is not an elective procedure or it would never be paid for by any insurance company. An elective procedure is breast implants, a face lift, things that are deemed cosmetic in nature, or not medically necessary to improve a person's quality of life.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't know... this is a touchy subject. I try not to judge, as a I know weight loss is a very personal issue. But, straight up, I do think it's the easy way out. There are morbidly obese people out there that have lost weight and kept it off simply by changing their lifestyle. I don't know what the statistics are, but it seems that most people who've had the surgery gain a considerable amount back because they didn't change anything.

Why risk your life taking on something as drastic as surgery?
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The difference between anti WLS people and pro WLS people.... anit WLS dont care if you support it/had it. We arent going to do it and we arent going to give u flowers and tell you to do it.

Pro WLS surgery people cry in their cheerios over the pity of their lives, anti WLS people know their lives have been pitiful at times and move on with it.

I might be in the anti-WLS group, but that's not a fair assessment of things.
  • Miss_1999
    Options

State of Arkansas withdrew and rewrote bariatric surgery policies for teachers and other employees because it was costing the state millions of dollars (tax payers). Also causing an increase of premiums for all teachers (tax payers). Arthur Boorman made no excuses and I have yet to see anyone in his shape. Google the name and watch the video and let me know what you think.

I was able to find nothing about Arkansas removing bariatric surgery from their policies in 2014, but I will be asking my best friend, Shannon. She is a teacher in El Dorado about her insurance. As for Mr. Boorman, wonderful for him- let me get out the confetti and have a party. I have no doubt, and I mean that seriously that yoga helped him. I spent two years in physical therapy in agonizing pain after I gave birth to my daughter with little to no relief. Within three months of starting yoga, the pain that I had been suffering with was gone, and within a year, I was in better shape than I had ever been in, so yes, I fully believe him. I still take yoga to this day. There are a great many benefits to yoga, you'll never see me argue this. Ever.

But like I've said before, just because one person does, can and did, doesn't mean ALL people can. If that were the case, we wouldn't need anyone, every, for anything specialized. We'd all be able to do it ourselves, after all, if they can do it, surely we can too! Why, we don't need a brain surgeon! If someone else is smart enough to perform surgery on the brain, by golly, so am I! Let's save some money and operate on our loved one. And hairstylist. Why, who needs to go to school for that? Why, if they can cut hair, so can I! Let's just save some money, I'll pick up a pair of scissors and cut my own hair for free! If they can do it, why so can I! Do you see just how asinine and silly this sounds? Just because someone else has success with something DOESN'T mean that EVERYONE can, and will. Sure, there will be people who will have the same results. Sure, they'll do the same thing, and have great success, but there WILL be people who WILL try the same thing, and fail miserably. It's not their path in life, or their journey, they have a different road to travel. Trust me, I've taken many. That's why I've got an Insurance License in the State of TN, a Cosmetology License in the State of TN, and burned through several jobs. I had to find my niche, and what worked for ME. It's really a shame that you've got that, well, it worked for one person, it can work for everyone else attitude. No. It can't. It might work for some, and that's wonderful, but one size does NOT fit all. Everyone has their own journey, and they have to find their own niche in life. If one size fit all, we'd have a hella boring world.
  • jimennis
    jimennis Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I was able to find nothing about Arkansas removing bariatric surgery from their policies in 2014, but I will be asking my best friend, Shannon. She is a teacher in El Dorado about her insurance. As for Mr. Boorman, wonderful for him- let me get out the confetti and have a party. I have no doubt, and I mean that seriously that yoga helped him. I spent two years in physical therapy in agonizing pain after I gave birth to my daughter with little to no relief. Within three months of starting yoga, the pain that I had been suffering with was gone, and within a year, I was in better shape than I had ever been in, so yes, I fully believe him. I still take yoga to this day. There are a great many benefits to yoga, you'll never see me argue this. Ever.

But like I've said before, just because one person does, can and did, doesn't mean ALL people can. If that were the case, we wouldn't need anyone, every, for anything specialized. We'd all be able to do it ourselves, after all, if they can do it, surely we can too! Why, we don't need a brain surgeon! If someone else is smart enough to perform surgery on the brain, by golly, so am I! Let's save some money and operate on our loved one. And hairstylist. Why, who needs to go to school for that? Why, if they can cut hair, so can I! Let's just save some money, I'll pick up a pair of scissors and cut my own hair for free! If they can do it, why so can I! Do you see just how asinine and silly this sounds? Just because someone else has success with something DOESN'T mean that EVERYONE can, and will. Sure, there will be people who will have the same results. Sure, they'll do the same thing, and have great success, but there WILL be people who WILL try the same thing, and fail miserably. It's not their path in life, or their journey, they have a different road to travel. Trust me, I've taken many. That's why I've got an Insurance License in the State of TN, a Cosmetology License in the State of TN, and burned through several jobs. I had to find my niche, and what worked for ME. It's really a shame that you've got that, well, it worked for one person, it can work for everyone else attitude. No. It can't. It might work for some, and that's wonderful, but one size does NOT fit all. Everyone has their own journey, and they have to find their own niche in life. If one size fit all, we'd have a hella boring world.

No need I work for the system and I have their insurance and yes it was suspended and rewrote because of the abuse currently not offered.. Your reply about Arthur was much to what I expected. I stopped after the first to sentences because I see where you were going and the line of excuse coming. Have a good life and good luck with the smoking!
  • Miss_1999
    Options

No need I work for the system and I have their insurance and yes it was suspended and rewrote because of the abuse currently not offered.. Your reply about Arthur was much to what I expected. I stopped after the first to sentences because I see where you were going and the line of excuse coming. Have a good life and good luck with the smoking!

Of course you didn't read the rest, because it would've hit home a little too hard and been too much of the truth. Sometimes, the truth is a hard pill to swallow. Open your mind, it's not a bad thing, and thanks, hoping to make it another 24 hours. One day at a time!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm going to write this in crayon and then walk away because frankly you make me want to put my titanium spork through my brain.

Other people's choices for their body has nothing to do with you. You have no right to dictate what medical care others receive because of your own political beliefs, and that's what this boils down to. End of story. No more debate needed. Move along and worry about your own weight loss not everyone elses.
  • lovemybooks01
    lovemybooks01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I've only just found this app (Tuesday this week!) and found it's been great for me to keep track of food/liquid intake. I had a gastric bypass done Feb 2011 and lost 140lbs in about 38 months, but have been struggling for the past few months, lose lbs one week and then it goes on, then lose and so on.....
    We all have our opinions about wls being a tool, the easy way out and so on, but for me it has literally saved my life.
    I've always been overweight, even as a child but had lost a lot of weight with a food replacement diet and got to be a size 12 UK from a 26 in about 10 months. After being assaulted violently, my mind associated being thin with being unsafe and I put a lot of weight back on quickly.... I was fit - walked 6 miles to work, did 12 hour shifts order picking in a warehouse then walked 6 miles back home, this was 6 days per week, also had 2 big newfoundland cross dogs needing 2 hour long walks daily - but fat and I was ok, no illnesses or anything from being heavy until I had a bad accident at work, cracked my spine in 4 places, plus tore muscles and ligaments around the same area and had to spend 15 weeks in hospital unable to do much apart from eat. I also lost my job that I loved and one of my dogs developed a severe illness and was put to sleep in this time. At my heaviest I weighed about 33 stone which is around 460lbs.. obviously at this weight doing exercise is just about impossible although I tried to get out walking for a short time each day, but when you face abuse due to weight there are many excuses not to go outside! I had a gastric balloon done in sept 2010 to assist my weightloss before I could have my bypass operation and with this and help from dieticians at the hospital as well as bariatric psychologists I lost 48lbs by feb 2011 when the bypass was performed. For anyone saying it's easy, please believe it really isn't... I now have to take vitamin, calcium and iron tablets everyday for life, ( no big hardship I do realise) can't eat in many restaurants as I eat from the children's menu and most places won't allow an adult to eat from children's menus, I can't tolerate alcohol and if I overeat I have severe pain in my pouch, dreadful heartburn and indigestion are daily consequences, fizzy soda and most fruit juices/smoothies are intolerable as the sugar gives me 'dumping syndrome' which is very unpleasant and most of what were my favourite foods are now banned for life!! Having said all this, if anyone asks me would I do it again - definitely yes or I'd be dead by now. I did have severe asthma (3 inhalers including steroid) high blood pressure, arthritis in my spine, and so many aches and pains it was ridiculous... I now have 1 inhaler for asthma, no high blood pressure, still have arthritis in spine plus hips and knees but it's much less painful now. I'm sorry for the length of the post, but I hope this may make some people understand that yes, while wls should be used as a tool it isn't something that anyone having any major surgery would do if it wasn't going to save our lives. Thanks for reading x :happy:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Everything related to losing weight is a tool, and each has its good and bad side. What makes surgery special of those tools is that the surgery itself requires an entire set to be used along with it and permanently rules out certain other tools.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand that logic. I find MFP and exercise programs to be tools. I find surgery as a last ditch effort for someone who cannot get their mind and body in sync. I have nothing against it if its your choice, but for all the people that have busted their butts doing it the healthy lifestyle way I consider surgery an easy out. You thoughts?

My thought: Da fuc do you care for?

English 101??

Ah, my bad. I got you.

Normally I reserve proper English for legit questions not steeped in condescension and a clear desire to look down on others for doing things the way you did, as if there is some manner of greatness or nobility in your chosen method/what you perceive as greater suffering. The truth is doing things what you think is the hard way and 'suffering' for you cause while someone else does it what you see as the 'easier' way doesn't make you a better person, it doesn't make you great or noble or place you above them. But shaming those who choose a different path is, much like someone who is paleo shaming someone who prefers to do 80/10/10, petty and reeks of bitterness. The fact you even care, that this question ever floated around in your head let alone was deemed worthy of being shared, exposes you as a small person. This same smallness, by the way, is shown again when you act as if 'Da' and 'Fuc' or the lack of 'What' at the front of my question keep you from understanding me, so instead you snidely demand 'English 101'.

Is there anything I could further clarify for you? Diagrams perhaps, as reading phonetically is clearly beyond you?

Diagrams may be useful.

Please provide.

I'm fairly certain you are beyond diagrams as a learning aid.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    surgery is not a tool. You learn nothing and I know several folks that have simply gained the weight back as the skin just stretched right back out. Learn to eat healthy and exercise first.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I just watched a show this morning on netflix called "My 600 pound life" or something like that. It followed someone who was over 600 pounds (she was 6 hundred seventy-something pounds...) who had weight loss surgery to lose the weight. From what I could see on the show, it was NOT easy, not at all. The surgery and recovery were painful, and after surgery she still HAD to deal with her food issues because her head was still telling her to eat even when her stomach capacity was so small that she would be sick if she ate the wrong stuff. The surgery took care of one part of the puzzle, that is her over stretched stomach was made smaller so she wasn't constantly getting physical hunger signals anymore... she still had to to do the work psychologically to keep from re-stretching her "pouch" again, like many people do after weight loss surgery.

Then later she needed several skin removal surgeries, one of which didn't heal properly and caused her to spend three months hospitalized.

She and her husband had to undergo counseling to save her marriage because the weight loss changed the dynamics of her whole whole life, including their relationship.

She still had to struggle to learn to eat healthy too, because when your stomach is the size of one or two walnuts, you HAVE to be smart about what you put in it in order to avoid malnourishment.

The show followed her for over six years after surgery, and she went through A LOT to remake her life, and YES, the surgery was a tool to help her, but was by no means "easy".

Now, I've thought about surgery myself because I've struggled for years to lose weight and always seem to lose and regain the same 60 pounds over and over, never getting past the 60 pound lost mark (I need to lose over 100). But I am not desperate enough for the surgery yet, I do see it as something of a last resort for those who have tried everything else and whose health is imminent danger if they don't lose weight, I don't feel that I am there yet. I will continue to try to make healthy eating and exercise a habit, and I wouldn't have surgery unless I truly felt it was my last hope.

So, yes, It is a tool, but it should be a tool of last resort after every other tool has been exhausted.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!