What do you eat with oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like a savory oatmeal. I love to cook up fresh chicken sausage with onions and kale and eat that with oatmeal. Yum!

I will have to try this. Sounds great.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I add PB2 to increase the protein and give it the peanut butter taste. I use Weight Control Oatmeal that is maple flavored. So between the oatmeal and the PB2 it taste like a Peanut Butter No Bake Cookie! 205 calories and 11 grams protein.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal raisin cookies with mine.

Otherwise, any fruit added is good.

I think I'll try the pumpkin puree this fall! That sounds really good!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    My most recent oatmeal favourite was oatmeal cooked with a pinch of salt, a little dash of milk with the water, and also a small dash of cinnamon. When cooked I would add a dollop of homemade apple sauce, a grated apple, a small handful of chopped dried cranberries, and a tiny bit of maple syrup just to sweeten it to my taste.

Previous favourite toppings/ flavours were blueberries and chopped/ flaked almonds, with a little maple syrup for sweetness.

Peanut butter also works very well, as weird as that sounds.

Chopped/ ground seeds can be a good addition too, and I used to make my own mix by adding sunflower, pumpkin, flax and hemp seed together, and pulsing in a food processor until ground up. A very easy way to make your own seed porridge, and when doing so, why not add some ground almond in there also :)

These days I just eat yoghurt, berries, nuts and seeds for breakfast, due to low-carbing it, but when I add back oats to my diet, I will probably add them to my current breakfast as mentioned, as well as to start exploring with bircher muesli/ overnight oats variations :)
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I like to microwave 1/2 cup applesauce with 1/2 cup water for 1 minute, then add 1/2 cup lite cinnamon applesauce.

Canned pumpkin with a tablespoon of light cream cheese sounds like I need to go grocery shopping and pick some up!

I put banana or blueberries in sometimes, but only after I have finished cooking it.
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    butter and brown sugar...that's it...and only that.

I second this! Or Peanut butter. There's always room for peanut butter in everything!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Everything else that goes into cookies...?
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I use steel cut oats and will cook it in just water in my slow cooker. I add walnuts/brown sugar or blueberries/brown sugar. If I can find peaches I will do that too.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Swiss oatmeal- I stir uncooked oats into yogurt and keep it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I stir in nuts, berries, fruit or eat it as-is.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    A huge glob of cookie butter. mmmm
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    This morning I had oatmeal with some sunflower seed kernels and a pear that I caramelized in some butter, brown sugar, and lemon juice. So yummy!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making chai tea oatmeal? (you don't even need to buy expensive teabags, it's just tea, milk, honey and some spices - google it)

I cook the oatmeal in it then add a bit of crushed walnuts and a dusting of cinnamon on top. Heaven on earth.

Yum! Must do this this week.
  • arozeisarozie
    arozeisarozie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, but I'll just add salt and pepper. It makes it more savory.
  • sueconvery7
    sueconvery7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I put some sort of sweetner in mine, with about 1/4 cup milk, and some rasins. Sorry for misspelling the last word.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Random but...If you run it through the magic bullet or blender it turns into colloidal oatmeal which is amazing for your skin when added to bathwater. No calories!
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Glad I stopped in, some great ideas here.

I've used peanut butter and jelly, any number of fruits, or just a bit of maple syrup. It can be quite filling without toast or egg or anything else.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My Favorite Oatmeal Recipe I created; Pina Colada Oatmeal

1/4 cup Steel Oats OR 1/2 cup Old Fashion Oats
    My boil liquid is 1/2 100% pure Pineapple Juice and 1/2 Vanilla Coconut Milk (you'd use 1/4 cup each for Steel Oats OR 1/2 cup each for Old Fashion Oats)
    Once it's ALMOST done, I stir in 1/2 to 1 whole scoop of Vanilla Protein Powder (depending on what I'm craving/needing), I also stir in 1/2 cup of diced (or crushed Pineapple in 100% juice if you're using canned) and 1/4 tsp cinnamon
    I top it with 2 Tbsp of golden toasted Coconut Shreds and 2 Tbsp of crushed Walnuts OR sliced Almonds

My Kids and husband LOVE this meal!!

I've also done this recipe as an OOIAJ (Overnight Oats in a Jar)

In a tupperware Or Mason jar (or even a recently emptied PB jar, woohoo for recycling!) add the following:

1/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats
    1/4 cup Vanilla Coconut Milk
    1/4 cup (or 4 Tbsp) of Pineapple or Pina Colada flavored 0% Fat Greek Yogurt
    1/4 cup diced Pineapple

Shake it up to mix and let it sit in the fridge overnight

When you're ready to eat; top with a Tbsp of toasted Coconut Shreds and chopped nuts

If you don't like this idea, add me if you'd like, I have a TON more Oatmeal/OOIAJ recipes (I write recipes for a living)

Tricia :)
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If they're plain, unflavored oats you can also use them for baking cookies, brownies, cakes, etc.
  • Angee_B
    Angee_B Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use them in my turkey meatloaf nd meatballs...
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    blueberries