Any walkers here?

Options
Hi Y'all! I am a walker here doing an hour everyday now for almost two week and scared to look at the scale in case I don't see any numbers go down but my body is getting more toned. I have no problem eating healthier but it takes more motivation to excercise! I weigh at 154 couple weeks ago at 5'8. Want to be 125. I have self image issues and in the past I struggled with bulima. I was very skinny last year but been through some stressful times and turned to food :-( I am new to this website and ready to be healthy :-D

Replies

• ScorpDX
    ScorpDX Posts: 93
    Options
    I do an hour(or sometimes more when I feel the urge) walking on the treadmill 4-5 days a week with my strength workout. Trying each time to better myself by going farther or faster. It's been a huge stress reliever along with helping me shed quite a bit if weight. I noticed my legs and thighs dropping fat and shaping up very quickly. That along with working up a sweat and getting rid of retained water helped jump-start things. You're welcome to add me if you like.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Walking is not the greatest for weight loss, but it has really helped me not gain, especially when I add in some jogging and some other dance/pilates stuff. Endurance gains have been the best. One thing that has helped has been a thread where we report our mileage each couple of days towards reaching a real-world place virtually through our accumulated mileage. Pick a historic walk or a long hike you would love to take as a tourist.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Me! An hour at least 4 times a week. I used to run, but I broke my foot and now it's very uncomfortable. Walking has been super helpful for my depression and anxiety. That's actually the biggest benefit I get from it.
  • sarahkeedwell
    sarahkeedwell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work! And pictures are awesome! Lately I been doing it 7 days a week but I heard that would overstrain muscles? Hope not because I am trying to lose 2 pounds a week. And making the small changes like eating raw veggies but it has to have marzetti dip that I love. I hate things plain lol. I would love to add you because need some friends here :-) If you take a look inside profile that was at my biggest and wish I lost weight for my wedding :(
  • sarahkeedwell
    sarahkeedwell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am sorry about that. I hope it got better and also thanks for tips everyone! I know how that feels. Depression sucks and walking does help get your mind clear. It also helps with music :-)
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I do walking the pounds off with Leslie Sansone along with walking outside
  • tammiet150
    Options
    Do any of you who walk use a counter?? I have one but it doesnt sync up so I am looking for one that shows the steps and I can down load info on. Any hints??
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi Y'all! I am a walker here doing an hour everyday now for almost two week and scared to look at the scale in case I don't see any numbers go down but my body is getting more toned. I have no problem eating healthier but it takes more motivation to excercise! I weigh at 154 couple weeks ago at 5'8. Want to be 125. I have self image issues and in the past I struggled with bulima. I was very skinny last year but been through some stressful times and turned to food :-( I am new to this website and ready to be healthy :-D

Barring any health issues i would make the step to running, better results, walking is for people who can't run
  • domeier
    domeier Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the scale for a while. Instead tape your hips / below your belly button and keep track of it. After you've made progress with that, weigh yourself. Weight isn't everything.
  • bethmeyer357
    bethmeyer357 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use Pacer. It counts my steps on my iPhone and syncs with myfitnesspal. I used to use a pedometer, but found it easier just to use the app.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

Walked initially and only 3 months ago [broken ankle]. Am running again now. Remember to take measurements of your body too and progress pics. Whilst eating well and walking, I'd discovered there were weeks I'd lose some weight daily [I was a weighing fanatic] and days/weeks with zero scale drops, then BOOM, I'd lose like a lot of weight. Stay the course and congratulations for choosing a healthier path to achieve your ideal body goals.
  • AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I walk quite a bit.
    I have a Fitbit, started out aiming for 10k steps, now getting 12k minimum each day, some days as high as 20k.

I've lost 39lb in a year from mainly walking and staying within my calorie goals.

Feel free to add me on mfp or fitbit
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Do any of you who walk use a counter?? I have one but it doesnt sync up so I am looking for one that shows the steps and I can down load info on. Any hints??

MapMyWalk is an app I use on my cell phone. It tracks your walk/run/hike/biking using the GPS capabilities of your phone. Very easy to use and it syncs to MFP.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You can keep your Fitbits. I have a Max. The handsomest bit of excercise equipment to have ever lived.

<--there he is.

If you can borrow a dog, walking becomes easy. Your local shelter will love you if you offer to take one for a walk regularly.

Just a thought if you struggle with the motivation.
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes... Just started this month thanks to a 10k-a-day challenge at my local gym. I've averaged a little over 14k steps per day this month and am tracking steps with a Garmin vivofit. It's still a little early to tell, but it feels like my weight loss has accelerated slightly since I've started walking. (I was already strength training 3x per week and inconsistently doing cardio.)

Sam
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Walking is my go-to activity. Don't let anyone tell you that it isn't good for weight loss. It is a full body workout, and if you walk at a pretty good clip, but not so fast that your heart is racing, you can keep your target HR at a level optimal for fat loss.
    I lost my last 30 pounds by walking. One of the ways I stayed motivated was by joining a group. I have a friend that is a breast cancer survivor and was training for the 3-Day. At the time, I had no interest in signing up, and thought that walking 60 miles was a bit unrealistic for me, but I asked her if I could join her and other walkers on their training walks and she said yes. Most of the week night ones started at 3 miles and ended up at about 7. the weekend walks were longer. Having all the other people walking made it social and fun, and I had not only a set schedule for walks, I had the accountability of the group to help me keep to that schedule.
    I started with a 6 mile and a few months later was walking 15-18. I realized then that I could actually do it and signed up for the 3-Day the following year. I trained again that year, did the walk, and now love walking.

One of the ways I get my miles in now is to break them up during the day. I find I do much better when I take 2 walks (sometimes 3) a day than when I try to go for an hour or more straight. Last month I walked 102+ miles.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Love walking, and walk about 4 miles every day :) I find it great for weight loss too, and would attribute it to about 3/4's of a lb of my weight loss every week :)
  • JacqueJo
    JacqueJo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yep! I have tried to run several times, but I have an old ankle injury that swells up and then I can't even walk....so the doctor said "no running". That is ok. I actually like walking better, I think. Love nature trails. :)

I use Map My Walk and have a FitBit. If you are a Walking Dead (zombies) person, there is a REALLY fun app called "Zombies Run". I use it when I walk, though it is probably intended for running. It provides a story line of the zombie apocalypse. It definitely keeps me entertained! You can use your own music within the app too. Total fun!
  • blackcrossknight
    blackcrossknight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and walk about two hours every day. Last year I was walking about three on average, or nine miles but now I'm just in walking in the morning and evening to stay away from the heat. I am aiming for 130, but am going to stop at 135 first to see how I like it and then go from there.
  • cnadiger
    cnadiger Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Wow! cdoesthehula what a great idea! I have a shelter right around the corner and I miss my border collie like crazy. Since I'm not in a position to be a dog mom right now, maybe I should become a foster dog-mom??