B12 Lipotropic Injections?

Options

Replies

• AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    They can't be just using B12. I have to inject B12 as I can't digest it through my gastro system, and it's just a vitamin. Not being able to digest it can be deadly, so it's crucial and all (as are most vitamins), but there has to be more going on here.

I'd be very afraid. Injectables for fat loss don't have a good track record for safety (well, they caused scarring and discoloration and permanent lumps, etc).

My B12 shots don't even give me extra energy (and I take a lot to store in the muscle for use). They did at first, after becoming deathly ill from malabsorption, lol! Now, if you think you might be low on B12 or have a bit of malabsorption (quite possible), a nice sublingual tablet would probably do you very nicely. Just make sure your folate is normal first.

Y'all be careful!

My husband had gastric bypass surgery and he too has to take the B12 injections (he takes one injection, once a month, because his body cannot absorb B12 through foods properly due to surgery). The pain in the butt thing right now is, in our area, the pharmacy has not been able to stock the B12 injections (wondering if it's because of this trend?) and our regular pharmacy had to find another pharmacy for us to get them from--which they told us they had to call around for another patient too, and the other pharmacies said they are having the same problem. He HAS to have the injections, so it was a little disconcerting to hear from our pharmacy that they were having trouble keeping them in stock.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why my bariatric physician offers them. In fact it's included in the price of my monthly visit. I tried it one time; the gal that gave it to me stabbed me with it. I didn't see the point of taking it anyways. I don't get them anymore. But I know a lot of my doctor's patients come in once or twice a week for the B12-lipo injections. Not me.

Do you mean why he offers them after bariatric surgery?

I would imagine it is because such surgery interferes with normal absorption of B12 - therefore to avoid patients becoming anaemic, they need the injections.

No that is not what I mean A Bariatric Physician is just a weight loss doctor. (I thought it was a surgeon too!). My doctor offers this injection to all her patients that go to the clinic. I have asked people in the waiting room why they get this injection. They say "It gives me energy."

I got the injection once. The gal giving me the injection stabbed me so hard with the needle that it hurt like a son of a b. And I didn't see that it did anything. In my opinion it is probably a bunch of hooey.

Oh ok - no, I don't understand why everyone would get them in that case - makes no sense to me.

B12 injections do have a sting to them - at least that is what most patients say - but sounds like the issue with yours was just poor injection technique by the nurse.
    Injections should glide in, not be given like darts.
  • KristieLynn828
    KristieLynn828 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    THE KEY AMINO ACIDS USED TO MAKE THESE SHOTS ARE: VITAMIN B12, CHOLINE, METHIONE & INOSITOL

Vitamin B12 is essential for helping to form new, healthy cells in the body. It also boosts energy, helping to increase activity levels.
    Choline supports the health of the liver in its processing and excretion of chemical waste products within the body. Moreover, it is required for the transport and metabolism of fats and cholesterol within the body, which is important for the healthy support of the endocrine, cardiovascular and hepatic systems.
    Methionine is one of the sulfur-containing amino acids (cysteine &cystine are others) and is important for many bodily functions. It acts as a lipotropic agent to prevent excess fat buildup in the liver and the body, is helpful in relieving or preventing fatigue and may be useful in some cases of allergy because it reduces histamine release.Patients who are allergic to eggs should not take this injection.
    Inositol, a nutrient belonging to the B vitamin complex, is closely associated with choline. It aids in the metabolism of fats and helps reduce blood cholesterol. Inositol participates in action of serotonin, a neurotransmitter known to control mood and appetite.
  • nrfitchett4
    nrfitchett4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    THE KEY AMINO ACIDS USED TO MAKE THESE SHOTS ARE: VITAMIN B12, CHOLINE, METHIONE & INOSITOL

Vitamin B12 is essential for helping to form new, healthy cells in the body. It also boosts energy, helping to increase activity levels.
    Choline supports the health of the liver in its processing and excretion of chemical waste products within the body. Moreover, it is required for the transport and metabolism of fats and cholesterol within the body, which is important for the healthy support of the endocrine, cardiovascular and hepatic systems.
    Methionine is one of the sulfur-containing amino acids (cysteine &cystine are others) and is important for many bodily functions. It acts as a lipotropic agent to prevent excess fat buildup in the liver and the body, is helpful in relieving or preventing fatigue and may be useful in some cases of allergy because it reduces histamine release.Patients who are allergic to eggs should not take this injection.
    Inositol, a nutrient belonging to the B vitamin complex, is closely associated with choline. It aids in the metabolism of fats and helps reduce blood cholesterol. Inositol participates in action of serotonin, a neurotransmitter known to control mood and appetite.
    thank you for this explanation. I don't think the injections will help you lose weight by themselves, but they do help with energy and liver function. Our doctor (who is part of a family practice group, not a weight loss clinic) encourages them because phentermine is a diuretic and b12 is water soluable. It is really hard to get too much of a water soluable vitamin since you pee them out. Fat soluable vitamins you can overdose on, because they are stored much longer in the body. Our doctor also recommends at least 45 minutes daily of brisk walking or running and very low carbs. He's of the philosophy that Americans got fat because the govt came out with guidelines to stay away from fat and eat more carbs. He says that you really only need carbs for brain function and that proteins cause your brain to release signals that you are full faster than carbs. Currently I am trying to eat at least 40% of my calories from proteins. For me, this means a lot of low carb greek yogurt (like the dannon light & fit greek) and fish or chicken daily with green veggies. I've cut out almost all starches. So far, I'm down almost 20 pounds in the first month. We'll see how it goes.
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was always under the impression that b12 helped the body regulate energy.

I can see maybe if a person doesnt have enough and then gets shot but if your healthy although overweight...I dont remember having seen any medically supported documentation that firmly states that b12 shots are the so so called 'magic bullet'
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i get the b12 injection every12 weeks due to absorption problems

can say it does anything for my energy levels

im due one in a week and a half and im flagging badly right now
  • Robhyatt
    Robhyatt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It seems so many people are confused when it is really quite clear. These injections are NOT simply B-12 injections, thus the "Lipotropic" after the B-12. B-12 is only 1 component of the injection. The other amino acids are supposed to aid in the conversion of fat to energy and help the liver. From what I understand, the pill form of this is not as effective as the injections. You can google Lipotropic Injections and read the science behind it. If there were a magic weightloss injection none of us would use Myfitnesspal, nor would we be having this conversation. I don't feel this is a magic weightloss injection, but rather an aid to help your body metabolize and transport the fat stores into energy. Diet and Exercise are still paramount.
  • skubi00
    skubi00 Posts: 18
    Options
    I've got to roll with my buddy Robhyatt on this one. Also, when I read through the thread I didn't hear anyone say that they ONLY took B-12 and lost weight. If you're on Phentermine that's contributing to your weight loss because it is a controlled appetite suppressant for a reason. I lost 40 lbs in 2010 using it and I've only gained back 2 as of today. That's what really works. If you don't eat as much you're going to drop pounds. There's not a lot of science to that equation. I think B-12 injections are a wonderful thing if you have certain illness, but weight loss not being one of those. However, good luck to all of you that have lost weight, either way.
  • jacqueline7599
    jacqueline7599 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    caramammal wrote: »
    They can't be just using B12. I have to inject B12 as I can't digest it through my gastro system, and it's just a vitamin. Not being able to digest it can be deadly, so it's crucial and all (as are most vitamins), but there has to be more going on here.

I'd be very afraid. Injectables for fat loss don't have a good track record for safety (well, they caused scarring and discoloration and permanent lumps, etc).

My B12 shots don't even give me extra energy (and I take a lot to store in the muscle for use). They did at first, after becoming deathly ill from malabsorption, lol! Now, if you think you might be low on B12 or have a bit of malabsorption (quite possible), a nice sublingual tablet would probably do you very nicely. Just make sure your folate is normal first.

Y'all be careful!

I take B12 for this condition also (Perniceous Anaemia) and have done so for 20 years. I'd seriously question the relevance of it for weightloss though, during the past 20 years i've been skinny, curvy, slim, chubby...all of those states due to over/under consumption of food.

• jacqueline7599
    Options
    You all aren't reading. It's LIPO B12 injections not just B12. Google it
  • jacqueline7599
    Options
    I don't understand why my bariatric physician offers them. In fact it's included in the price of my monthly visit. I tried it one time; the gal that gave it to me stabbed me with it. I didn't see the point of taking it anyways. I don't get them anymore. But I know a lot of my doctor's patients come in once or twice a week for the B12-lipo injections. Not me.

Do you mean why he offers them after bariatric surgery?

I would imagine it is because such surgery interferes with normal absorption of B12 - therefore to avoid patients becoming anaemic, they need the injections.

No that is not what I mean A Bariatric Physician is just a weight loss doctor. (I thought it was a surgeon too!). My doctor offers this injection to all her patients that go to the clinic. I have asked people in the waiting room why they get this injection. They say "It gives me energy."

I got the injection once. The gal giving me the injection stabbed me so hard with the needle that it hurt like a son of a b. And I didn't see that it did anything. In my opinion it is probably a bunch of hooey.

• jacqueline7599
    Options
    Wow you did it once and expected it to be a miracle and work instantly or what?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Extra B-12 gives you NOTHING. If you have enough, all extra will give you is more expensive urine. You are literally pissing your money away.

If you are deficient, B-12 supplements will give you what you need. Some people can get it from the tablets and others need injections. Your doctor will tell you what the right way is for you.

Paying money for extra B-12 or C or whatever it is...when you aren't deficient, it's silly and wasteful.

If there was a shot that helped with weight loss, you'd have heard about it. It would be all over the news. Everyone would be talking about it. It wouldn't be a secret!
  • jacqueline7599
    Options
    How Do B12 Lipotropic Injections Work?

Lipotropic B12 injections contain minerals and vitamins, known as fat burning agents, that make the journey toward successful weight loss quite astounding. One of the agents contained in the B12 lipotropic shots is choline.

Choline is responsible for reducing fat in the liver and the gall bladder. It metabolizes the fats and sends them to the blood stream where they are used up by the body. This means that fat deposits in your body will decrease and their metabolism will be sped up.

Makes Lipotropic Injections Easy

Inositol is another agent found in the injections and it helps to regulate serotonin and insulin levels. This means that your mood will become more stable and feelings of hunger will be less noticeable. Insulin regulation is very important especially when it comes to growth hormones.

Better mood is stimulated by vitamin B12 and B6, so you will be in a good mood most of the time and you will have more energy. These vitamins are also responsible for aiding in lipid metabolism.

You will also be glad to know that lipotropic injections not only help you to lose weight, but they also help to minimize excess water gain, control estrogen levels, and maintain healthy nails and skin. And it doesn’t stop there. They could be used for even more things, such as treating thyroid disorders, relieving adrenal fatigue and controlling hormonal imbalances.

Does this mean that once you take the shots, the pounds will just melt away? No, I’m sorry, the injections do not magically eject fat from your body, as most people would like to believe. They only help your body to lose weight faster and easier than if you didn’t take the shots. You still have to eat right, and preferably do some regular exercise.

And don’t confuse them with liposuction, because they are not the same. Liposuction is an invasive surgical procedure that removes fat from the body, which is much riskier than lipotropic injections.

I'll tell you right now. It works for certain people who gave gallbladder and thyroid issues. Before I had started my Lipo B12 injections my TSH was 0.436. Three months later it has gone up to 0.518. Plus other readings in my thyroid tests have gone way up. For years my TSH has been dropping but Dr's would do nothing. Now all the sudden since having these shots it's going up.

Some of you keep saying B12 doesn't help you lose weight. Obviously you didn't read the whole thing and see it's Lipo B12

• jacqueline7599
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Extra B-12 gives you NOTHING. If you have enough, all extra will give you is more expensive urine. You are literally pissing your money away.

If you are deficient, B-12 supplements will give you what you need. Some people can get it from the tablets and others need injections. Your doctor will tell you what the right way is for you.

Paying money for extra B-12 or C or whatever it is...when you aren't deficient, it's silly and wasteful.

If there was a shot that helped with weight loss, you'd have heard about it. It would be all over the news. Everyone would be talking about it. It wouldn't be a secret!

• jacqueline7599
    Options
    Read Kalikel!!!!! It's not B12 it's B12 Lipotropic! ! There's a difference!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Read Kalikel!!!!! It's not B12 it's B12 Lipotropic! ! There's a difference!
    It's hogwash; that's what it is.

Snake oil.

Malarkey.
  • NaRmI10
    NaRmI10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    hi B12 Lipotropic injection - do you need a prescription?
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    NaRmI10 wrote: »
    hi B12 Lipotropic injection - do you need a prescription?

What you need is a sustained caloric deficit. The injections didn't help the posters above. Weigh and log accurately and the weight will come off.

This thread is two years old. They've probably all forgotten about whether they needed a scrip for this particular Groupon deal.
  • NaRmI10
    NaRmI10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)