Finding bra size after weight loss

Options
1235»

Replies

• smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You take your underbust measurement in inches. This is the size of your rib cage directly underneath your breasts and around your back. You add either 4 or 5 inches to bring it to an even number. You then measure directly around the widest part of your breasts and back and compare this to your strap size. If it is the same size then you are an AA cup. If it is 1 inch bigger, you are an A cup. 2 inches bigger is a B cup, 3 inches bigger is a C cup.

From the measurements you have given, I would estimate that you are a 36AA. However an awful lot depends on the bra style. If you find you are splurging out over the sides, you may prefer a 3 hook setting, rather than a 2 hook.

Yeah no. Maybe it was a typo? There's no way I could wear a 36 in band
    Don't ever add 4-5 inches to your rib cage measurement. The band is supposed to be supporting your breasts, not the straps. If you add all those inches to your band size you get a band that is way too loose & it will give you no support. This is why so many women get grooves in their shoulders from their bra--they are not getting the support they need. The band size should be your rib cage measurement. You may have to go up 1" at the most to get to the next even number. It should be very snug on the loosest hook to allow for it to "break in" & move you into the middle hook. I don't understand why women accept the whole add 4-5 inches to your band size for your bra. You would never hear of a man saying he has a 30" waist so he needs to go buy 34" pants. Stores will never carry the range of cup sizes women actually need if we just keep adjusting the band up in order to find a cup that will fit over our breasts.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    go get a professional bra fitting. you'll be glad you did. trust me!
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Not a bad idea. Then I'd have a wide variety of prices to choose from. You really have to be in the mood to go to Macy's when you live in NYC though.

OK now I'm jealous - you have some great options in NYC for quality bra fitters! I got my first inkling of proper bra size using the calculator here: http://www.lindasonline.com/ - and you're lucky that you can visit the store in person! I'm sure they are expensive, but it's worth it to get sized, even if you decide to buy elsewhere.

After seeing the calculator results, I started shopping at local lingerie boutiques - sometimes it's surprising the range of sizes that they will carry. I also found that wearing the proper size (now 32G after a bit of weight loss) will make me look about 10 pounds slimmer than a too-small bra such as 34DD.

At this point I also have to buy UK brands online, as US brands just don't make the right size ranges for smaller band sizes.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Not a bad idea. Then I'd have a wide variety of prices to choose from. You really have to be in the mood to go to Macy's when you live in NYC though.

OK now I'm jealous - you have some great options in NYC for quality bra fitters! I got my first inkling of proper bra size using the calculator here: http://www.lindasonline.com/ - and you're lucky that you can visit the store in person! I'm sure they are expensive, but it's worth it to get sized, even if you decide to buy elsewhere.

After seeing the calculator results, I started shopping at local lingerie boutiques - sometimes it's surprising the range of sizes that they will carry. I also found that wearing the proper size (now 32G after a bit of weight loss) will make me look about 10 pounds slimmer than a too-small bra such as 34DD.

At this point I also have to buy UK brands online, as US brands just don't make the right size ranges for smaller band sizes.

We do! It's just a matter of dealing with the issue, ha. Anyway I find it a pain in the *kitten* that I'm not always going to be the same size in every bra. But, I had so much success today. This bra I got makes me feel soooo much better about myself. The boyfriend gets to see tomorrow!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd report back on the 1st & Curve/Modern Movement bras I bought off ebay because they arrived. The t-shirt style with the molded type cups and the unlined bra both fit about the same but surprisingly the unlined bra is a bit more comfortable. I think its because this brand comes pretty high up under the arm pits, something I'm just not used to and in the molded bra that is more noticeable. Also it is more of a full coverage bra instead of a balconette and I've been wearing balconettes for years. The band *might* run a tad bit big but it could be that the elastic is just a bit more stretchy. Also, I think that I've lost 1/2 inch around the band area since I started figuring out my proper size and maybe need to get a 34 instead of a 36. The 2" difference between sizes can be tough if you are in between. I'm quite happy considering the low prices on ebay though, compared to $50 bucks or so in Dillards.

So far my favorite in the correct size is the Maxine by Fit Fully Yours. I will need to save my pennies if I intend to keep buying that bra though. $80 is super expensive, IMO.