• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I like the texture better than rice.

That is all.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I like it but I'll admit it took me a while to get used to it. I like to dress it up with onions, peppers, probably cut some chicken strips or put some ground turkey in it. It is a good source of protein and doesn't have the bad carbs that rice has. Though I'll admit, having a strong Lousiana background, we ate a lot of white rice growing up and I will still occasionally have some.

So basically, cover it up with a bunch of other stuff so it's barely there and it's all good.

And bad carbs, especially rice as a bad carb...

Really_seriously_WHAT.gif

Sorry, but I don't quite understand this asinine post.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I like it. But my husband thinks it tastes like styrofoam shipping material.

Smart husband!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I like it but I'll admit it took me a while to get used to it. I like to dress it up with onions, peppers, probably cut some chicken strips or put some ground turkey in it. It is a good source of protein and doesn't have the bad carbs that rice has. Though I'll admit, having a strong Lousiana background, we ate a lot of white rice growing up and I will still occasionally have some.

So basically, cover it up with a bunch of other stuff so it's barely there and it's all good.

There. Are. No. Bad. Carbs.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love it, and it's much easier to clean the pot after it's cooked than rice (i don't own a rice cooker).

Today I made a nice cold quinoa veggie chicken salad with zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, quinoa, chicken and a balsamic vinagrette dressing. Yum!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I tried quinoa without knowing what it was because it was mixed with lime and cilantro (2 things I love).
    It was good.
  • Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I tried quinoa without knowing what it was because it was mixed with lime and cilantro (2 things I love).
    It was good.
    Throw some pork chops in there, and you got yourself a stew!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I tried it once at a breakfast / brunch restaurant. It was alright. I'm sure it does make a nice replacement for rice when you want something more out of your calories - I just can't justify spending the money on it, especially knowing my picky family probably wouldn't touch it if I made dinner with it, then I'd end up being the one to eat it all and having to spend even more money on something they WOULD eat. :P
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Personally I love it. So you quinoa haters can gladly just bring it to me.
    I'll eat all your freaking weird grains.

:drinker:

Quinoa party?
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

Quinoa party?

DAMNIT.

Thanks a lot MFP, now I have a new weird fetish.

:grumble:
  • deearess
    deearess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like it and as I'm Coeliac it the closest thing I can have to cous cous (which I also love) because I don't always want rice or gluten free pasta. lol

xXx

I like quinoa too, but I find millet an even better sub for couscous.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    It was good.
    Throw some pork chops in there, and you got yourself a stew!

I'd hit it. :drinker:
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

Okay, if you say so. I didn't no we had a nutritional expert on board here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't find Quinoa to be strange...it is a staple in many parts of the world. I love the stuff and I've been eating quinoa before quinoa was cool...I'm fairly well traveled though.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Okay, if you say so. I didn't no we had a nutritional expert on board here.

jennifer-lawrence.gif
  • Burt_Huttz
    Options
    I don't find Quinoa to be strange...it is a staple in many parts of the world. I love the stuff and I've been eating quinoa before quinoa was cool...I'm fairly well traveled though.

You're only saying that for credibility with all the hot quinoaphiles in the thread.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

Quinoa. Quinoa is a bad carb
  • Kaelakcr
    Options

I agree with you, to a degree. There are no bad carbs; however, some carbs are more efficient, some provide more long-lasting energy, some are more nutritionally dense per calorie. "Empty calories" are a thing, and white rice, for example, is one of those things. There is very little in the way of nutrition from white rice. It's mostly simple carbs. That can cause a spike in glucose and more hunger and cravings when you crash. It's fine if you add proteins and complex carbs. But with quinoa that's not an issue.

Brown rice is better for you, but he was specifically talking about white rice in his comment.
  • Kaelakcr
    Options

Quinoa party?

DAMNIT.

Thanks a lot MFP, now I have a new weird fetish.

:grumble:

thatsmyfetish.gif

:P
  • Burt_Huttz
    Options
    I agree with you, to a degree. There are no bad carbs; however, some carbs are more efficient, some provide more long-lasting energy, some are more nutritionally dense per calorie. "Empty calories" are a thing, and white rice, for example, is one of those things. There is very little in the way of nutrition from white rice. It's mostly simple carbs. That can cause a spike in glucose and more hunger and cravings when you crash. It's fine if you add proteins and complex carbs. But with quinoa that's not an issue.

Brown rice is better for you, but he was specifically talking about white rice in his comment.

Brown rice is full of white rice. True fact.