What's the deal w/Quinoa

Options

Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa. More nutrient dense and tasty if you cook it right. I suggest 1 part broth of your choice, 1 part water. Then stir fry with whatever veggies your little heart desires.

My high horse is kinda short.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I don't even care. I like quinoa. It's spelled fancy and eating it makes me feel good! So all you haters can suck it!

I have been called a hater. You know. In other threads.

Just throwing that out there.

Oh-my-GIF.gif
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I don't even care. I like quinoa. It's spelled fancy and eating it makes me feel good! So all you haters can suck it!

:love: :flowerforyou:

Quinoa date? :P

piercestruggleface.0_standard_352.0_medium.gif

yougotserved.gif?w=600&h=335
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Personally I love it. So you quinoa haters can gladly just bring it to me.
    I'll eat all your freaking weird grains.

:drinker:

Quinoa party?

DAMNIT.

Thanks a lot MFP, now I have a new weird fetish.

:grumble:

tumblr_mtoa0oRzyk1rqp2rqo1_500.gif
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    Options
    I like it but I'll admit it took me a while to get used to it. I like to dress it up with onions, peppers, probably cut some chicken strips or put some ground turkey in it. It is a good source of protein and doesn't have the bad carbs that rice has. Though I'll admit, having a strong Lousiana background, we ate a lot of white rice growing up and I will still occasionally have some.

So basically, cover it up with a bunch of other stuff so it's barely there and it's all good.

And bad carbs, especially rice as a bad carb...

Really_seriously_WHAT.gif

Sorry, but I don't quite understand this asinine post.

There. Are. No. Bad. Carbs.
    The carb on my lawn tractor is bad.

Thanks, Sears.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I like it. But my husband thinks it tastes like styrofoam shipping material.

Why in all of God's creation was your husband eating styrofoam shipping material?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    Options
    I like it. But my husband thinks it tastes like styrofoam shipping material.

Why in all of God's creation was your husband eating styrofoam shipping material?

This is a solid question.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm panfoodual.

I enjoy all the foods. ALL THE FOODS.

Goku_eating.gif
  • srslybritt
    Options
    I wish to join this "Quinoa Party."

Do I need to bring anything? Preferably something with 3 syllables or less, I have dyslexia and wouldn't want to bring the wrong thing.
  • scasey1656
    scasey1656 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow, I feel like a loser, I've never tried it.
  • scotw75
    scotw75 Posts: 3
    Options
    Quinoa: because eating sand is for babies.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

I hear that might not be true. A lot of the nutrition in brown rice is, supposedly, locked in the indigestible fiber.

Truly? What about black rice? Hear anything about that?
  • Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options

Do I need to bring anything? Preferably something with 3 syllables or less, I have dyslexia and wouldn't want to bring the wrong thing.
    it;s wonderful with some baba ghanoush mixed in. Don't even ask how that happy accident happened.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

I hear that might not be true. A lot of the nutrition in brown rice is, supposedly, locked in the indigestible fiber.

That it's awesome and delicious.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    taste aside (and I do like it, i found a place where they sell them with basil, mint leaves, dried cranberries and peanuts - its a cold salad) is it any nutritious? it s a better option than rice, less carbs? What are its benefits??

Check out my response on the first page! :) I gave a rundown of the nutritional benefits.

white rice cooked 100 gm = 28 gm carb, 2.7 gm protein .4 gm fiber cal 130
    quinoa cooked 100 gm = 21 gm carb 4.4 gm protein 2.8 gm fiber cal 120

If you like it, fine. But IMO not worth the money as it is easily 5-10 times the cost.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of this? I mean really, what is this stuff? Is it pasta? Is it rice? What's the deal? *cheesy standup comedian voice*
  • srslybritt
    Options

it;s wonderful with some baba ghanoush mixed in. Don't even ask how that happy accident happened.

*counts the syllables*

Yes okay I can handle this. I might bring ghaba banoush though. I warned you.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    He's a bad president
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

That it's awesome and delicious.
    [/quote]

I like to eat it like this:
    image.jpg
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I like it but I'll admit it took me a while to get used to it. I like to dress it up with onions, peppers, probably cut some chicken strips or put some ground turkey in it. It is a good source of protein and doesn't have the bad carbs that rice has. Though I'll admit, having a strong Lousiana background, we ate a lot of white rice growing up and I will still occasionally have some.

So basically, cover it up with a bunch of other stuff so it's barely there and it's all good.

And bad carbs, especially rice as a bad carb...

Really_seriously_WHAT.gif

Sorry, but I don't quite understand this asinine post.

There. Are. No. Bad. Carbs.

I agree with you, to a degree. There are no bad carbs; however, some carbs are more efficient, some provide more long-lasting energy, some are more nutritionally dense per calorie. "Empty calories" are a thing, and white rice, for example, is one of those things. There is very little in the way of nutrition from white rice. It's mostly simple carbs. That can cause a spike in glucose and more hunger and cravings when you crash. It's fine if you add proteins and complex carbs. But with quinoa that's not an issue.

Brown rice is better for you, but he was specifically talking about white rice in his comment.

I would also add that white rice is very high in "glycemic" levels which makes it a "bad" carb. The same can be said of white bread and white potatoes. Foods high in glycemic levels can be easily broken down quickly into sugar in your blood stream and over consumption can put you at risk for type 2 diabetes. By the way, I don't think it's a huge coincidence that the continent of Asia is facing a diabetes epidemic . Ten percent of the population in China or 98 million people are affected by diabetes and consumption of white rice has much to do with it. Conversely, quinoa's glycemic levels are low in comparison. Facts are facts.