Replies

• Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    1268722676841.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I would also add that white rice is very high in "glycemic" levels which makes it a "bad" carb. The same can be said of white bread and white potatoes. Foods high in glycemic levels can be easily broken down quickly into sugar in your blood stream and over consumption can put you at risk for type 2 diabetes. By the way, I don't think it's a huge coincidence that the continent of Asia is facing a diabetes epidemic . Ten percent of the population in China or 98 million people are affected by diabetes and consumption of white rice has much to do with it. Conversely, quinoa's glycemic levels are low in comparison. Facts are facts.

Okay, this just...

Are you supposing that Chinese people just started eating rice recently? Because that's what "epidemic" implies... that it happened all at once and rapidly.

If that is what you are alleging, then you are way off base.
    Chinese people are getting obese rapidly. Mostly a result of a CHANGE in their diets and lifestyles.

If YOU choose not to eat rice, okay. But don't make up crapfacts.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/16/study-does-eating-white-rice-raise-your-risk-of-diabetes/

"Each additional daily serving of white rice, a staple of Asian diets, may increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes by 10%, according to the study, which analyzed the results of four previous studies involving 352,384 participants from four countries: China, Japan, U.S. and Australia. Those who ate the highest amounts of white rice had a 27% higher risk of diabetes than those who ate the least, and the risk was most pronounced in Asian people."

Cherry pick much?
    But before you swear off white rice for good, the study authors and other nutrition experts caution that it’s not the only culprit in diabetes risk. Rather, a general decrease in physical activity and increase in food consumption may be responsible for the rise in obesity and insulin resistance in Asian countries.

“White rice has long been a part of Asian diets in which diabetes risk was very low,” Dr. David Katz, associate professor of public health at Yale University, told ABC News. “It is white rice plus aspects of modern living — including less physical work — that conspire to elevate the incidence of Type 2 diabetes.”

TL;DR: What Dame said
    Chinese people are getting obese rapidly. Mostly a result of a CHANGE in their diets and lifestyles.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I would also add that white rice is very high in "glycemic" levels which makes it a "bad" carb. The same can be said of white bread and white potatoes. Foods high in glycemic levels can be easily broken down quickly into sugar in your blood stream and over consumption can put you at risk for type 2 diabetes. By the way, I don't think it's a huge coincidence that the continent of Asia is facing a diabetes epidemic . Ten percent of the population in China or 98 million people are affected by diabetes and consumption of white rice has much to do with it. Conversely, quinoa's glycemic levels are low in comparison. Facts are facts.

Okay, this just...

Are you supposing that Chinese people just started eating rice recently? Because that's what "epidemic" implies... that it happened all at once and rapidly.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/16/study-does-eating-white-rice-raise-your-risk-of-diabetes/

"Each additional daily serving of white rice, a staple of Asian diets, may increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes by 10%, according to the study, which analyzed the results of four previous studies involving 352,384 participants from four countries: China, Japan, U.S. and Australia. Those who ate the highest amounts of white rice had a 27% higher risk of diabetes than those who ate the least, and the risk was most pronounced in Asian people."

Cherry Pick much?
    But before you swear off white rice for good, the study authors and other nutrition experts caution that it’s not the only culprit in diabetes risk. Rather, a general decrease in physical activity and increase in food consumption may be responsible for the rise in obesity and insulin resistance in Asian countries.

“White rice has long been a part of Asian diets in which diabetes risk was very low,” Dr. David Katz, associate professor of public health at Yale University, told ABC News. “It is white rice plus aspects of modern living — including less physical work — that conspire to elevate the incidence of Type 2 diabetes.”

"cherry pick much" = nailed it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    But quinoa is a superfood!
  • PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Soooo good!
    But I sounded like a complete moron when I asked the guy at the store where the Quin-know-uh was.
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Okay, this just...

Cherry Pick much?

I had to walk away from my computer before I could finish my edit, and then I saw this. There's no reason for this to become a snarky conversation. :) We're talking about white rice, FFS.

Anywhoo, I said in my comment that white rice contributes to a diet that causes diabetes. Yes, changes have to have occurred, but you can't accuse me of cherry picking when you're ignoring the fact that you are 27% more likely to get diabetes if you have a diet high in white rice.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Okay, this just...

Cherry Pick much?

I had to walk away from my computer before I could finish my edit, and then I saw this. There's no reason for this to become a snarky conversation. :) We're talking about white rice, FFS.

Anywhoo, I said in my comment that white rice contributes to a diet that causes diabetes. Yes, changes have to have occurred, but you can't accuse me of cherry picking when you're ignoring the fact that you are 27% more likely to get diabetes if you have a diet high in white rice.

That's assuming you also plan on being very sedentary and overeating it to the point you are gaining and pushing towards the obese/morbidly obese categories. Otherwise, simply eating white rice doesn't increase your chances just like that.

In other words, eating white rice doesn't actually increase your chances. It's the overeating and not exercising that does. Per your own article:
    a general decrease in physical activity and increase in food consumption may be responsible for the rise in obesity and insulin resistance in Asian countries.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Hey, now..I love couscous. I also love rice, but the texture of couscous is grand. I don't care for the texture of quinoa.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Okay, this just...

Cherry Pick much?

Aaaand you're still cherry picking. And still completely failing at CONTEXT.
  • Kaelakcr
    Options

Okay, this just...

Cherry Pick much?

That's assuming you also plan on being very sedentary and overeating it to the point you are gaining and pushing towards the obese/morbidly obese categories. Otherwise, simply eating white rice doesn't increase your chances just like that.

In other words, eating white rice doesn't actually increase your chances. It's the overeating and not exercising that does. Per your own article:
    a general decrease in physical activity and increase in food consumption may be responsible for the rise in obesity and insulin resistance in Asian countries.

You're moving goalposts. It's not as if only those countries that happen to have reduced physical activity.

"Why white rice may impact diabetes risk isn’t clear, but it may have to do with the food’s high score on the glycemic index (GI) — a measurement of how foods affect blood sugar levels — meaning that it can cause spikes in blood sugar. High GI ranking foods have previously been associated with increased risk of diabetes."

White rice IS a contributing factor...it's a large one. Otherwise those three countries would not have a risk of diabetes that corresponds to their rice consumption. If they were sedentary and eating, say, quinoa, or another food that has a lower GI rating, they probably wouldn't have such high levels of diabetes.

"Also, according to Sun, white rice is not the only red flag for a diabetes-prone diet. He recommends eating fewer refined carbs overall. 'People should try to make a switch from eating refined carbs like white rice and white bread to eating more whole grains. This way, you consume more nutrients and fiber overall.'"

Additionally: "…[T]his transition may render Asian populations more susceptible to the adverse effects of high intakes of white rice, as well as other sources of refined carbohydrates such as pastries, white bread, and sugar sweetened beverages. In addition, the dose-response relations indicate that even for Western populations with typically low intake levels, relatively high white rice consumption may still modestly increase risk of diabetes."
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

Okay, this just...

Cherry Pick much?

You're moving goalposts. It's not as if only those countries that happen to have reduced physical activity.

"Why white rice may impact diabetes risk isn’t clear, but it may have to do with the food’s high score on the glycemic index (GI) — a measurement of how foods affect blood sugar levels — meaning that it can cause spikes in blood sugar. High GI ranking foods have previously been associated with increased risk of diabetes."

White rice IS a contributing factor...it's a large one. Otherwise those three countries would not have a risk of diabetes that corresponds to their rice consumption. If they were sedentary and eating, say, quinoa, or another food that has a lower GI rating, they probably wouldn't have such high levels of diabetes.

"Also, according to Sun, white rice is not the only red flag for a diabetes-prone diet. He recommends eating fewer refined carbs overall. 'People should try to make a switch from eating refined carbs like white rice and white bread to eating more whole grains. This way, you consume more nutrients and fiber overall.'"

Additionally: "…[T]his transition may render Asian populations more susceptible to the adverse effects of high intakes of white rice, as well as other sources of refined carbohydrates such as pastries, white bread, and sugar sweetened beverages. In addition, the dose-response relations indicate that even for Western populations with typically low intake levels, relatively high white rice consumption may still modestly increase risk of diabetes."

May?

I'm willing to risk it. White rice everyday.

Literally everyday. This is not an exaggeration. Pika can confirm this, I eat white rice every day.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Okay, this just...

Cherry Pick much?

May?

I'm willing to risk it. White rice everyday.

Literally everyday. This is not an exaggeration. Pika can confirm this, I eat white rice every day.

*nod nod*
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I tried a recipe with quinoa and it was pretty good. Not as good as oatmeal, but not bad.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

Okay, this just...

Wow, why are so hostile, man? It is a contributing factor and I'm trying to make this conversation civil. If you want to go all menopausal on me I suggest you direct your posts to someone else.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Options

Okay, this just...

Cherry Pick much?

I'm impressed. You're able to post something on the boards without the use of goofy pictures of celebrities making weird faces. Bravo!!!!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Okay, this just...

Cherry Pick much?

I'm impressed. You're able to post something on the boards without the use of goofy pictures of celebrities making weird faces. Bravo!!!!

tumblr_lnks9gkykk1qiw26m.gif
  • Kaelakcr
    Options

Okay, this just...

Wow, why are so hostile, man? It is a contributing factor and I'm trying to make this conversation civil. If you want to go all menopausal on me I suggest you direct your posts to someone else.

They've been snarky and self-satisfied with me as well, moving the goalposts around so that every response I have just gets a different point and they never address my actual facts. It's a pointless argument.

WHATEVER! Eat rice, but I'm gonna eat quinoa, which has twice the protein and digests much more slowly and won't raise my chances of getting diabetes. It's not like we're on a healthy eating site or anything...
  • Daiako
    Options

Okay, this just...

Cherry Pick much?

Yeah. I cant imagine why people don't give you more serious answers than gifs. Can't. Imagine.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Options
    I like it but I'll admit it took me a while to get used to it. I like to dress it up with onions, peppers, probably cut some chicken strips or put some ground turkey in it. It is a good source of protein and doesn't have the bad carbs that rice has. Though I'll admit, having a strong Lousiana background, we ate a lot of white rice growing up and I will still occasionally have some.

So basically, cover it up with a bunch of other stuff so it's barely there and it's all good.

And bad carbs, especially rice as a bad carb...

Really_seriously_WHAT.gif

Sorry, but I don't quite understand this asinine post.

There. Are. No. Bad. Carbs.

I agree with you, to a degree. There are no bad carbs; however, some carbs are more efficient, some provide more long-lasting energy, some are more nutritionally dense per calorie. "Empty calories" are a thing, and white rice, for example, is one of those things. There is very little in the way of nutrition from white rice. It's mostly simple carbs. That can cause a spike in glucose and more hunger and cravings when you crash. It's fine if you add proteins and complex carbs. But with quinoa that's not an issue.

Brown rice is better for you, but he was specifically talking about white rice in his comment.

Right. It's a good thing I'm Japanese, I guess :huh:

Honestly, I doubt that has to solely do with white rice otherwise a diabetic epidemic would have been a huge problem long before now in every Asian country.

My post implied that it was a contributing factor, not the sole factor. And you can't argue with science either. White rice has higher glycemic levels than quinoa. Brown rice, while high, is still lower than white rice and does not pose the same health risks as white rice.

Okay, I'm sure you're next response will have a picture of another goofy celebrity. Whose next? One of the Kardishan bimbos? lol.
  • Daiako
    Options

Okay, this just...

They've been snarky and self-satisfied with me as well, moving the goalposts around so that every response I have just gets a different point and they never address my actual facts. It's a pointless argument.

WHATEVER! Eat rice, but I'm gonna eat quinoa, which has twice the protein and digests much more slowly and won't raise my chances of getting diabetes. It's not like we're on a healthy eating site or anything...

I don't require all of my carbs to digest slowly tho. In fact I often need fast digesting carbs for my workouts and things of that nature. That's why runners eat things like power gels and gummy bears when they run and not...Quinoa; they need that fast burning energy All things have their place.

And I don't consider 4g of protein per 120 calories amazing by any stretch. My ice cream has the same amount. :indifferent: