What's the deal w/Quinoa

Options
123457»

Replies

• Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Hey, now..I love couscous. I also love rice, but the texture of couscous is grand. I don't care for the texture of quinoa.

It's texture and appearance remind me of fish eggs. It also taste a little like nuts. Weird weird food.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I would also add that white rice is very high in "glycemic" levels which makes it a "bad" carb. The same can be said of white bread and white potatoes. Foods high in glycemic levels can be easily broken down quickly into sugar in your blood stream and over consumption can put you at risk for type 2 diabetes. By the way, I don't think it's a huge coincidence that the continent of Asia is facing a diabetes epidemic . Ten percent of the population in China or 98 million people are affected by diabetes and consumption of white rice has much to do with it. Conversely, quinoa's glycemic levels are low in comparison. Facts are facts.

Okay, this just...

Are you supposing that Chinese people just started eating rice recently? Because that's what "epidemic" implies... that it happened all at once and rapidly.

If that is what you are alleging, then you are way off base.
    Chinese people are getting obese rapidly. Mostly a result of a CHANGE in their diets and lifestyles.

If YOU choose not to eat rice, okay. But don't make up crapfacts.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/16/study-does-eating-white-rice-raise-your-risk-of-diabetes/

"Each additional daily serving of white rice, a staple of Asian diets, may increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes by 10%, according to the study, which analyzed the results of four previous studies involving 352,384 participants from four countries: China, Japan, U.S. and Australia. Those who ate the highest amounts of white rice had a 27% higher risk of diabetes than those who ate the least, and the risk was most pronounced in Asian people."

Cherry Pick much?
    But before you swear off white rice for good, the study authors and other nutrition experts caution that it’s not the only culprit in diabetes risk. Rather, a general decrease in physical activity and increase in food consumption may be responsible for the rise in obesity and insulin resistance in Asian countries.

“White rice has long been a part of Asian diets in which diabetes risk was very low,” Dr. David Katz, associate professor of public health at Yale University, told ABC News. “It is white rice plus aspects of modern living — including less physical work — that conspire to elevate the incidence of Type 2 diabetes.”

TL;DR: What Dame said
    Chinese people are getting obese rapidly. Mostly a result of a CHANGE in their diets and lifestyles.

"cherry pick much" = nailed it.

I had to walk away from my computer before I could finish my edit, and then I saw this. There's no reason for this to become a snarky conversation. :) We're talking about white rice, FFS.

Anywhoo, I said in my comment that white rice contributes to a diet that causes diabetes. Yes, changes have to have occurred, but you can't accuse me of cherry picking when you're ignoring the fact that you are 27% more likely to get diabetes if you have a diet high in white rice.

That's assuming you also plan on being very sedentary and overeating it to the point you are gaining and pushing towards the obese/morbidly obese categories. Otherwise, simply eating white rice doesn't increase your chances just like that.

In other words, eating white rice doesn't actually increase your chances. It's the overeating and not exercising that does. Per your own article:
    a general decrease in physical activity and increase in food consumption may be responsible for the rise in obesity and insulin resistance in Asian countries.

You're moving goalposts. It's not as if only those countries that happen to have reduced physical activity.

"Why white rice may impact diabetes risk isn’t clear, but it may have to do with the food’s high score on the glycemic index (GI) — a measurement of how foods affect blood sugar levels — meaning that it can cause spikes in blood sugar. High GI ranking foods have previously been associated with increased risk of diabetes."

White rice IS a contributing factor...it's a large one. Otherwise those three countries would not have a risk of diabetes that corresponds to their rice consumption. If they were sedentary and eating, say, quinoa, or another food that has a lower GI rating, they probably wouldn't have such high levels of diabetes.

"Also, according to Sun, white rice is not the only red flag for a diabetes-prone diet. He recommends eating fewer refined carbs overall. 'People should try to make a switch from eating refined carbs like white rice and white bread to eating more whole grains. This way, you consume more nutrients and fiber overall.'"

Additionally: "…[T]his transition may render Asian populations more susceptible to the adverse effects of high intakes of white rice, as well as other sources of refined carbohydrates such as pastries, white bread, and sugar sweetened beverages. In addition, the dose-response relations indicate that even for Western populations with typically low intake levels, relatively high white rice consumption may still modestly increase risk of diabetes."

How is pointing out that it's more the obesity factor moving goal posts within your own article? And again, I 'll point out that there is the lifestyle and sedentary factors in play (as was pointed out in the study). JUST eating white rice doesn't automatically increase your chances.

Here's another point of reference:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/mar/fav5.htm
    (The actual studies are linked within this)
    "White rice consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes: meta-analysis and systematic review by Emily Hu, published in the March 16, 2012 issue of the British Medical Journal, found, “Higher consumption of white rice is associated with a significantly increased risk of type 2 diabetes, especially in Asian (Chinese and Japanese) populations.”1 This report involved a collection of studies (a meta-analysis) that reported risk estimates for type 2 diabetes, by rice intake levels.

Comments: Confounding, the presence of another hidden variable, is of particular concern in this study because socioeconomic status is both a risk factor for type 2 diabetes and a predictor of rice consumption in Asian and Western populations.2 In other words, within a particular population (say in China or Japan), those who eat more white rice are also the wealthier people who eat more meat, oil, refined food, etc. Poorer people purchase less white rice and less rich food (they also work physically harder), and as a result, they are trimmer with little chance of developing type 2 diabetes—a condition directly resulting from obesity.

Worldwide, the populations with the lowest rates of diabetes are those that eat the most rice and other starches; type 2 diabetes is all but unknown in rural Asia, Africa, Mexico, and Peru, where a high-carbohydrate diet is the cultural norm.3-6 Some of the highest rates of obesity and diabetes are, however, found among people of Hispanic, Native American, Polynesian, and African descent—but not because of their genetic make up or the starch-based diets of their distant ancestors. These ethnic groups became fat and sick when they adopted a high-fat, high-protein Western diet.7"
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    yea, I agree OP...........I'll take a donut over ya'lls rice potatoes and quinoa!
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is weird, and not that high in protein overall.
    Couscous, on the other hand, is not a grain, but teeny, tiny pasta that you can pair with anything.

Whatever your carb (formerly referred to as starch) of choice may be, have fun with it!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options

I would also add that white rice is very high in "glycemic" levels which makes it a "bad" carb. The same can be said of white bread and white potatoes. Foods high in glycemic levels can be easily broken down quickly into sugar in your blood stream and over consumption can put you at risk for type 2 diabetes. By the way, I don't think it's a huge coincidence that the continent of Asia is facing a diabetes epidemic . Ten percent of the population in China or 98 million people are affected by diabetes and consumption of white rice has much to do with it. Conversely, quinoa's glycemic levels are low in comparison. Facts are facts.

Okay, this just...

Are you supposing that Chinese people just started eating rice recently? Because that's what "epidemic" implies... that it happened all at once and rapidly.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/16/study-does-eating-white-rice-raise-your-risk-of-diabetes/

"Each additional daily serving of white rice, a staple of Asian diets, may increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes by 10%, according to the study, which analyzed the results of four previous studies involving 352,384 participants from four countries: China, Japan, U.S. and Australia. Those who ate the highest amounts of white rice had a 27% higher risk of diabetes than those who ate the least, and the risk was most pronounced in Asian people."

Cherry Pick much?
    But before you swear off white rice for good, the study authors and other nutrition experts caution that it’s not the only culprit in diabetes risk. Rather, a general decrease in physical activity and increase in food consumption may be responsible for the rise in obesity and insulin resistance in Asian countries.

“White rice has long been a part of Asian diets in which diabetes risk was very low,” Dr. David Katz, associate professor of public health at Yale University, told ABC News. “It is white rice plus aspects of modern living — including less physical work — that conspire to elevate the incidence of Type 2 diabetes.”

I had to walk away from my computer before I could finish my edit, and then I saw this. There's no reason for this to become a snarky conversation. :) We're talking about white rice, FFS.

Anywhoo, I said in my comment that white rice contributes to a diet that causes diabetes. Yes, changes have to have occurred, but you can't accuse me of cherry picking when you're ignoring the fact that you are 27% more likely to get diabetes if you have a diet high in white rice.

That's assuming you also plan on being very sedentary and overeating it to the point you are gaining and pushing towards the obese/morbidly obese categories. Otherwise, simply eating white rice doesn't increase your chances just like that.

In other words, eating white rice doesn't actually increase your chances. It's the overeating and not exercising that does. Per your own article:
    a general decrease in physical activity and increase in food consumption may be responsible for the rise in obesity and insulin resistance in Asian countries.

You're moving goalposts. It's not as if only those countries that happen to have reduced physical activity.

"Why white rice may impact diabetes risk isn’t clear, but it may have to do with the food’s high score on the glycemic index (GI) — a measurement of how foods affect blood sugar levels — meaning that it can cause spikes in blood sugar. High GI ranking foods have previously been associated with increased risk of diabetes."

White rice IS a contributing factor...it's a large one. Otherwise those three countries would not have a risk of diabetes that corresponds to their rice consumption. If they were sedentary and eating, say, quinoa, or another food that has a lower GI rating, they probably wouldn't have such high levels of diabetes.

"Also, according to Sun, white rice is not the only red flag for a diabetes-prone diet. He recommends eating fewer refined carbs overall. 'People should try to make a switch from eating refined carbs like white rice and white bread to eating more whole grains. This way, you consume more nutrients and fiber overall.'"

Additionally: "…[T]his transition may render Asian populations more susceptible to the adverse effects of high intakes of white rice, as well as other sources of refined carbohydrates such as pastries, white bread, and sugar sweetened beverages. In addition, the dose-response relations indicate that even for Western populations with typically low intake levels, relatively high white rice consumption may still modestly increase risk of diabetes."

How is pointing out that it's more the obesity factor moving goal posts within your own article? And again, I 'll point out that there is the lifestyle and sedentary factors in play (as was pointed out in the study). JUST eating white rice doesn't automatically increase your chances.

"White rice consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes: meta-analysis and systematic review by Emily Hu, published in the March 16, 2012 issue of the British Medical Journal, found, “Higher consumption of white rice is associated with a significantly increased risk of type 2 diabetes, especially in Asian (Chinese and Japanese) populations.”1 This report involved a collection of studies (a meta-analysis) that reported risk estimates for type 2 diabetes, by rice intake levels.

Comments: Confounding, the presence of another hidden variable, is of particular concern in this study because socioeconomic status is both a risk factor for type 2 diabetes and a predictor of rice consumption in Asian and Western populations.2 In other words, within a particular population (say in China or Japan), those who eat more white rice are also the wealthier people who eat more meat, oil, refined food, etc. Poorer people purchase less white rice and less rich food (they also work physically harder), and as a result, they are trimmer with little chance of developing type 2 diabetes—a condition directly resulting from obesity.

Worldwide, the populations with the lowest rates of diabetes are those that eat the most rice and other starches; type 2 diabetes is all but unknown in rural Asia, Africa, Mexico, and Peru, where a high-carbohydrate diet is the cultural norm.3-6 Some of the highest rates of obesity and diabetes are, however, found among people of Hispanic, Native American, Polynesian, and African descent—but not because of their genetic make up or the starch-based diets of their distant ancestors. These ethnic groups became fat and sick when they adopted a high-fat, high-protein Western diet.7"

I just wanted to do a quote...carry on.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Okay, this just...

Cherry Pick much?

I just wanted to do a quote...carry on.

Just to add on because you quoted before I could edit:

TL;DR: There aren't "bad carbs" and risks for diabetes (aside from genetics) depends on lifestyle choices. You can eat white rice and be perfectly okay/healthy as long as you aren't eating in excess and being sedentary. It's not an empty calorie and it's "not" bad for you either.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Oh and to the catcher guy. Here's some quinoa.....with cheese. :flowerforyou:

blogger-image--418157443.jpg
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Oh and to the catcher guy. Here's some quinoa.....with cheese. :flowerforyou:

blogger-image--418157443.jpg

LOL- okay now that was a good one. You can pour cheese on any of my favorite foods and it's still gross. Yuk.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am not gonna lie... I'm having quinoa for lunch because it's damn tasty with my shredded chicken and salsa and keeps me fuller for longer than rice.

But every time I eat it, I can't help but laugh and think of this.

eHZvdXZqMTI=_o_nickelodeon-floam-project-2---if-your-floam-is-too-wet-.jpg