Protein shake diet work?

Options
2»

Replies

• wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone above me has the right idea! Its all about calories in vs calories out. Shakes don't really make you feel satiated so you will feel like you need to eat soon after your shake. I actually combined shakes with lower calorie snacks (5 or 6 a day) and this helped keep me feeling like I wasn't cheating myself out of food. Exercise and you can eat a little more but make it whole foods.

I was even losing weight eating one "Fresca beef soft taco" (180 cals) from Taco Bell as one of my meals every day in my early stages before deciding to start watching my sodium levels. I know one taco isn't much but if you are eating every 2 or 3 hours the meals can be smaller and your stomach will shrink.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've tried slim fast in the past and it really didn't work for me. I was completely unsatisfied and ended up giving up within a day or two. I like the taste, but it just wasn't food. This was back when I was young and never had more than 5-10 pounds to lose. I never stuck with it long enough to ever hit my goal (often eating more than I should have during the non-shake meal times and then feeling like I blew it so why bother sticking with it). I always just did better when I kept track of what I ate rather than trying to follow a specific plan--even if I wasn't counting calories. I remember that the T-factor diet was big back then (counting fat not calories) and that worked for me. I always thought it was because fat was the problem but now I realize it was more just the mindfulness of knowing what I was eating (and naturally cutting fat cuts calories--what a relief because I am naturally drawn to a high-fat diet).

I still have the shakes sometimes. I really like the taste and for times when I am running around and don't have time for a proper meal, or after a workout when I need some extra carbs and protein I will have one (but I scan the barcode and log the calories just like with any other meal or snack). Slimfast now has a higher protein formula and I know it is not highly recommended but it is the only one that tastes good enough to be worth it for me ( sometimes I will do a carnation breakfast essential because those aren't so bad either).

Counting calories is really not that hard to do, especially now with the technology available. I can just scan a barcode on my phone before (or after or during) a snack attack for a quick record of what I am noshing on. I am not much of a planner so this allows for a flexible plan that works with my life and all of its surprises. I plan when I can (pack my lunch for work, input my recipes for what I plan to make for dinner) I weigh and measure when it is convenient. But if plans change and I can't be completely accurate for whatever reason, I can still record what ate and do my best to find a good approximation of calories. Also there is no way to fail on a calorie counting plan. If you go over calories one day, you can make up for it the next day by either eating less or exercising more. I don't get so obsessed over my daily success, but rather keep an eye on my weekly averages. That change off mindset was probably the biggest contributor to my success this time around.

Now, 2 slices of pizza (not sure about your pizza but I live in the NYC area and around here one slice of pizza is about 500 calories), so 2 slices is 1000--more than half my daily allowance while I was losing and pretty close to half now that I am maintaining. That should fill you up, but will make you feel like you didn't eat much that day because it was all in one meal. Having 1 slice and a green salad with oil and vinegar would be a more reasonable lunch portion and just as filling. These kind of changes in your diet can only come from awareness and logging your food as accurately as possible is the only way to know for sure where changes need to be made.

So my advice (because it works for me) is to start with small habits--increasing water intake and developing a logging habit should come first. Even if you are going over your caloric intake, what you are doing is getting information and with that information you can make changes. If you realize you aren't that hungry in the morning but then end up over doing it in the afternoon, then maybe you might want to incorporate a shake, or a hard boiled egg, or something high in protein but low in calories to just get your day going and keeping you from being run down by mid day. Maybe you notice that you start feeling hungry around 10 am and a snack might be helpful--an apple or a handful of nuts or a yogurt might help. When i was a stay at home mom I was never hungry for breakfast so instead I broke up my breakfast meal into 2 or 3 small snacks instead. Often times (as a mom I found this to be true) dinner is the only real meal that is planned ahead of time so I try to plan the rest of my day around that meal. It is usually the highest calorie meal, so I try to keep the rest of my day low but satisfying so I am never hungry. I also noticed that the days that I skip meals I always think I ate less but it turns out the I consumed more calories just in fewer meals. Being hungry led to poor choices, like doubling up on servings or craving things like a big mac. I like having this data to refer back to when I things aren't working and I need to make changes.
    I recently had two babies back to back, they will be turning one and two next month.... So its been a year. So no excuse right? Well I was put on birth control, which messed me up more... And recently was told I had a thyroid problem. So obviously my hormones play a big role in my weight problem. I've dieted... My weight has been changing up and down up and down... Now I've gained 10lbs. I also was exercising. So now... I'm fed up and want to know more about these protein shake diets? My goal weight loss is 50lbs. I am now 185... So that would make me a healthy 135lb at 5"5. How do you start them off? Do you gradually add on a shake a week? Or just take one in the morning and night, and for lunch eat a salad? How does this work? I'm determined, and I read this diet is not good for people that aren't devoted. Because, I am about this close to just start eating salads... And that won't be good lol... Just because I'm not sure how much meat is good and what foods are good or this or that... I just want a simple diet to follow. So any success stories on these protein shake diets? Please let me know the exact time you drank one, exact time you ate meals, etc. Thank you!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I'm fed up and want to know more about these protein shake diets?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you've been contacted by a few shakeologists, by now? :huh:
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I think protein shakes are a good idea for someone who:

1. Prefers carbs to other foods
    2. Has continual cravings for carbs
    3. Doesn't like to eat meat
    4. Wants to curb appetite
    5. Is still building a diet "repertoire" of whole foods

I've had the most amazing 3 weeks since I started adding one protein shake a day to my diet. After decades of high carb dieting and yo-yoing, I decided to take Dr. Daniel Amen's advise and increase protein, as well as give up sugar and empty carbs.

The first week was insanely hard with some serious hunger pangs and restlessness, but I made it!

Now, I have more energy and mental clarity, my obsession over food is gone, and I eat three meals a day with no snacks. I don't need snacks now because I'm satisfied.

My usual breakfast is whole grain cereal and almond milk

My lunch is a blended drink including:
    MRM Veggie Protein Powder, which is sugar free
    1 T Almond Butter
    1 T Cacao Powder
    1/2 Cup frozen Raspberries
    2 cups Spinach
    100 grams Banana
    1 cup water or Almond Milk

Dinner tonight was teriaki chicken breast, steamed kale with garlic and olive oil, salad with oil and vinegar, brown rice and some pineapple.

You have to find what works for you. I'm glad I made the diet changes I did. I was so afraid I'd feel deprived, but the only thing I feel is grateful to be feeling so good in mind, body and spirit! Good luck to you with your thyroid issues and dieting.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I realized my first post was more of a "talk you out of it" kind of post rather than answering your question.
    If you really have your heart set on the shake plans, however. I suggest you do it in conjunction with logging. That way if the time comes when one day you are sick of "eating" shakes for meals you can make decent trades.

For example:
    1 slim fast shake: 200 calories if made with skim milk. 10g protein, 30 g carbs

2 eggs scrambled with a slice of toast: 209 calories, 15 g protein, 13 g carbs

For breakfast this would work for me because I am not that hungry in the morning. The first option would be tasty, convenient, and ready to go. The second option would be satisfying, feel hearty, and keep me satiated for a longer period of time. Because I am allowed to have more than 200 calories per meal, either one would allow me for a snack later in the morning. But the first option might trick me into believing that snack can be larger than it should be, the second option would keep me from feeling so hungry that I over do it.

At lunch a shake simply wouldn't cut it for me, especially if I already had one in the morning. But if it works for you, then go ahead and have one, make sure you log it. But on the days when it just isn't cutting it consider a trade off meal.

3 oz of tuna is 109 calories, 20g of protein and 0 carbs. Throw that on a salad with some oil and vinegar and it is about the same amount of calories--depending on how much oil or if you choose another dressing.

Given your stats I am sure you can easily eat 1600 calories and lose weight. My height is the same and I had the same goal weight which I have reached. MFP gave me 1200 calories but I definitely lost averaging 1500-1600 per day.

With that sample day you only had about 1/4 of your calories in meals (either through shakes or through food) with 1200 calories left to go you can choose snacks throughout the day, or save up a lot for evening when there is a time of weakness. Whether you are doing the shakes or meals you would still want to log all of this other food. Just because 400 calories of your day is a no brainer doesn't mean the rest of your intake would logicialy fall into place.

Hoped this helped.
  • nanbarnes1
    nanbarnes1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have done a lot of research on the protein drinks. They can be a good filler if your foods are not high in protein. You also need to watch the sodium and surgar in these items. I hate eating breakfast, so a protein drink is my breakfast. Then I fill in the day with healthy snaks and meals every three hours or so. The increase in water is also a must. I believe protein drinks have their place but is not the answer to long time weight loss.

I have been a long time yo yo dieter, at the end of June I made a committment to lose 100 lbs by next July. MFP was my first start and logging the food and making better choices. Has it been difficult,darn right, but I have lost 10 lbs. I have also went from a size 24 to a size 20 as of today. I swim for one hour every day and two hours on Saturday. This includes water jogging, water cardio and laps.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Stick to a calorie deficit eating real foods.
    +1
  • PearceJD1
    Options
    It worked for me! I lost 35 lbs in (90 days) about two years ago on a protein shake (meal replacement) diet. Of course I also stopped eating bread and cut back on beer and sweets. If you eat right and use the shakes as (mp) you can drop the weight fast!